America's Best Dance Crew (season 1)
|America's Best Dance Crew|
|Broadcast from||February 7 – March 27, 2008|
The first season of America's Best Dance Crew premiered on February 7, 2008. The season, hosted by Mario Lopez, featured a judging panel consisting of Lil Mama, JC Chasez, and Shane Sparks. In the live finale, which aired on March 27, 2008, JabbaWockeeZ was declared the winner.
- 1 Cast
- 2 Results
- 3 Episodes
- 4 References
- 5 External links
For the first season of America's Best Dance Crew, the competitors auditioned in four cities: New York City, Atlanta, Chicago, and Los Angeles. A total of twelve dance crews were selected from the four cities and then categorized into four regions: Midwest, South, East Coast, and West Coast. Following the live casting special on January 26, 2008, the initial pool of dance crews was narrowed down to nine.
|Automatic Response||Phoenix, Arizona||West|
|Enigma Dance Kru||Tampa, Florida||South|
|Femme 5||Chicago, Illinois||Midwest|
|Full Out||West Palm Beach, Florida||South|
|Fysh n Chicks||Los Angeles, California||West|
|ICONic||Englishtown, New Jersey||East|
|JabbaWockeeZ||San Diego, California||West|
|Kaba Modern||Orange County, California||West|
|Live in Color||Miami, Florida||South|
|Status Quo||Boston, Massachusetts||East|
|The Movement||New York, New York||East|
|5||Fysh n Chicks||IN||IN||RISK||IN||RISK||OUT|
|6||Live in Color||IN||IN||IN||IN||OUT|
|9||Enigma Dance Kru||IN||OUT|
^Note 1 : The live auditions special determined the nine spots for the season premiere.
- (WINNER) The dance crew won the competition and was crowned "America's Best Dance Crew".
- (RUNNER-UP) The dance crew was the runner-up in the competition.
- (IN) The dance crew was safe from elimination.
- (RISK) The dance crew was at risk for elimination.
- (OUT) The dance crew was eliminated from the competition.
Episode 0: The Search Begins
- Original Airdate: January 26, 2008
Twelve dance crews competed in a live casting special for America's Best Dance Crew.
Episode 1: The Battle Begins
- Original Airdate: February 7, 2008
Each crew performed to a mix of their favorite dance track. The crews were broken up into groups of three. The judges selected one crew from each group (italicized) to be safe from elimination and move on to the next week. Afterwards, the judges picked the bottom two crews to compete in a sudden death dance-off to guest performer Flo Rida's song "Low".
|Round 1||Live in Color||"Watch Them Roll" by Sean Paul|
|JabbaWockeeZ||"Apologize" by Timbaland feat. OneRepublic|
|Fysh n Chicks||"Whine Up" by Kat DeLuna feat. Elephant Man|
|Round 2||Status Quo||"Good Vibrations" by Marky Mark|
|Femme 5||"Do It Well" by Jennifer Lopez|
|Enigma Dance Kru||"I'm So Hood" by DJ Khaled, Trick Daddy, Rick Ross, T-Pain and Plies|
|Round 3||ICONic||"Cyclone" by Baby Bash feat. T-Pain|
|Breaksk8||"Get It Shawty" by Lloyd|
|Kaba Modern||"Technologic" by Daft Punk|
- Safe: Live in Color, Status Quo, Kaba Modern, JabbaWockeeZ, Breaksk8, Fysh n Chicks, Femme 5
- Bottom 2: Enigma Dance Kru, ICONic
- Eliminated: Enigma Dance Kru
Episode 2: Music Video Moves
- Original Airdate: February 14, 2008
Each crew was given a different music video containing a dance sequence, which they had to perform while maintaining their own style.
|Kaba Modern||"Wall to Wall" by Chris Brown|
|Live in Color||"Hey Mama" by The Black Eyed Peas|
|JabbaWockeeZ||"Ice Box" by Omarion|
|Breaksk8||"Get Up" by Ciara feat. Chamillionaire|
|ICONic||"Kiss Kiss" by Chris Brown feat. T-Pain|
|Status Quo||"U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer|
|Fysh n Chicks||"Freakum Dress" by Beyoncé|
|Femme 5||"Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani|
- Safe: Kaba Modern, Live in Color, JabbaWockeeZ, Breaksk8, ICONic, Status Quo
- Bottom 2: Fysh n Chicks, Femme 5
- Eliminated: Femme 5
Episode 3: Dance Craze Challenge
- Original Airdate: February 21, 2008
Each crew performed a popular dance, also known as a "dance craze", while preserving their own style. Since some of the dance crazes were very simple to execute, each team had to complete an additional challenge while performing.
|Live in Color||"2 Step" by Unk||Exchange clothes during their routine.|
|JabbaWockeeZ||"Lean wit It, Rock wit It" by Dem Franchize Boyz||Create an illusion that defies gravity.|
|Breaksk8||"Cupid Shuffle" by Cupid||Stay physically connected in a section of the Cupid Shuffle.|
|Kaba Modern||"G-Slide (Tour Bus)" by Lil Mama||Partner up and perform a lift.|
|Fysh n Chicks||"It's Goin Down" by Yung Joc||Perform some of the steps in reverse.|
|Status Quo||"Crank That (Soulja Boy)" by Soulja Boy||Perform a portion of the dance upside down.|
|ICONic||"Chicken Noodle Soup" by DJ Webstar||Perform a portion of the dance on their backs.|
- Safe: Live in Color, JabbaWockeeZ, Breaksk8, Kaba Modern, Fysh n Chicks
- Bottom 2: Status Quo, ICONic
- Eliminated: ICONic
Episode 4: Movie Characters
- Original Airdate: February 28, 2008
The crews portrayed movie characters through dance.
|JabbaWockeeZ||"Ayo Technology" by 50 Cent feat. Justin Timberlake||Thieves|
|Kaba Modern||"Sensual Seduction" by Snoop Dogg||Geeky boys and popular girls|
|Status Quo||"Hey Baby (Jump Off)" by Bow Wow and Omarion||Tuners|
|Breaksk8||"What Is It" by Baby Bash feat. Sean Kingston||Basketball players|
|Fysh 'n Chicks||"Maneater" by Nelly Furtado||Business women letting loose|
|Live in Color||"B.O.B. (Bombs Over Baghdad)" by Outkast||Vampires and damsels in distress|
- Safe: JabbaWockeeZ, Kaba Modern, Status Quo, Breaksk8
- Bottom 2: Fysh n Chicks, Live in Color
- Eliminated: Live in Color
Episode 5: Thriller
- Original Airdate: March 6, 2008
|Status Quo||"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"|
|JabbaWockeeZ||"P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"|
|Fysh n Chicks||"Billie Jean"|
- Safe: Status Quo, JabbaWockeeZ, Kaba Modern
- Bottom 2: Fysh n Chicks, Breaksk8
- Eliminated: Fysh n Chicks
Episode 6: Broadway Remixed
- Original Airdate: March 13, 2008
At the beginning of the show, the crews teamed up to perform a routine to a hip hop remix of Annie's "It's the Hard Knock Life". Then, each crew had to transform a traditional Broadway number into a hip hop routine.
|Status Quo||Hairspray||"You Can't Stop the Beat"|
|JabbaWockeeZ||Chicago||"All That Jazz"|
|Kaba Modern||Grease||"You're the One That I Want"|
|Breaksk8||Dreamgirls||"One Night Only"|
- Safe: Status Quo, JabbaWockeeZ
- Bottom 2: Kaba Modern, Breaksk8
- Eliminated: Breaksk8
Episode 7: Evolution of Street Dance
- Original Airdate: March 20, 2008
All three crews performed to a same remix highlighting the evolution of street dancing over the past 30 years.
|"Funkytown" by Lipps Inc||Locking|
|"It's Like That" by Run DMC vs. Jason Nevins||Popping|
|"It's Just Begun" by Jimmy Castor||Breaking|
|"Push It" by Salt-n-Pepa||New jack swing|
|"Bye Bye Bye" by 'N Sync||Pop|
|"Get Buck in Here" by DJ Felli Fel||New school/Krumping|
- Safe: Status Quo
- Bottom 2: JabbaWockeeZ, Kaba Modern
- Eliminated: Kaba Modern
The two finalists compete in an encore "do or die" round.
|Dance Crew||Performance Title|
|Status Quo||Jack in the Box|
|JabbaWockeeZ||The Red Pill|
Episode 8: The Live Finale
- Original Airdate: March 27, 2008
The eliminated crews returned and performed with the finalists for a regional collaboration. Instead of going head-to-head, JabbaWockeeZ and Status Quo teamed up for their last performance.
|West: JabbaWockeeZ, Kaba Modern, and Fysh n Chicks||"Tell Me When To Go" by E-40 feat. Keak Da Sneak|
|South: Live in Color and Enigma Dance Kru||"Get Low" by Lil Jon and The Eastside Boys|
|East: Status Quo and ICONic||"Phenomenon" by LL Cool J|
|Midwest: Breaksk8 and Femme 5||"Pop, Lock & Drop It" by Huey|
|JabbaWockeeZ and Status Quo||Stomp the Yard|
|JabbaWockeeZ||"Stronger" by Kanye West|
- Winner: JabbaWockeeZ
- Runner-up: Status Quo
- Rocchio, Christopher (2008-01-16). "MTV to debut Randy Jackson's 'America's Best Dance Crew' on Feb. 7". Reality TV World. Retrieved 2008-02-25.
- Rocchio, Christopher (2008-01-24). "Rapper Lil Mama to serve as 'America's Best Dance Crew's third judge". Reality TV World. Retrieved 2008-02-25.
- "Behind the Mask: The Jabbawockeez, America’s best dance crew". AsianWeek. Retrieved on 2008-08-22.
|America's Best Dance Crew