America's Best Dance Crew (season 7)
|America's Best Dance Crew|
|Broadcast from||April 11 – June 13, 2012|
The seventh season of America's Best Dance Crew, also known as America's Best Dance Crew: Return of the Superstars, premiered on April 11, 2012. Return of the Superstars used the same show format of the previous season, in which the crews performed to the music of one specific artist each week. The season featured artists including Rihanna, Britney Spears, Madonna, Pitbull, David Guetta, LMFAO, Jennifer Lopez, Drake, Flo Rida, and Katy Perry. In the live finale, which aired on June 13, 2012, Elektrolytes was declared the winner.
- 1 Cast
- 2 Results
- 3 Episodes
- 3.1 Episode 1: Britney Spears Challenge
- 3.2 Episode 2: Flo Rida Challenge
- 3.3 Episode 3: Madonna Challenge
- 3.4 Episode 4: Drake Challenge
- 3.5 Episode 5: Jennifer Lopez Challenge
- 3.6 Episode 6: Pitbull Challenge
- 3.7 Episode 7: Rihanna Challenge
- 3.8 Episode 8: LMFAO Challenge
- 3.9 Episode 9: David Guetta Challenge
- 3.10 Episode 10: Katy Perry Superstar Finale
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Auditions for the seventh season of America's Best Dance Crew were held in four cities: Chicago, Houston, New York City, and Los Angeles. Similar to the previous season, there was no age restriction. Dance crews who had previously competed on the show were also encouraged to audition again.
The cast consisted of nine new dance crews and one returning crew. The appearance of Fanny Pak, who were originally contestants in the second season of ABDC, marked the first time a crew appeared to compete on the show a second time. Each dance crew's hometown and representative region were displayed on their banner during the course of the competition.
|8 Flavahz||Honolulu, Hawaii||Pacific|
|Collizion Crew||Atlanta, Georgia||South|
|Fanny Pak||San Fernando Valley, California||West|
|Mix'd Elements||North Hollywood, California||West|
|Mos Wanted Crew||Los Angeles, California||West|
|Rated Next Generation||Mukilteo, Washington||Northwest|
|3||Mos Wanted Crew||IN||IN||IN||IN||IN||IN||IN||OUT|
|4||Rated Next Generation||IN||IN||IN||RISK||RISK2||IN||OUT|
^Note 1 : The bottom crew from the first episode battled the bottom crew from the second episode to determine the first elimination of the season.
^Note 2 : The judges saved both crews from elimination.
- (WINNER) The dance crew won the competition and was crowned "America's Best Dance Crew".
- (RUNNER-UP) The dance crew was the runner-up in the competition.
- (IN) The dance crew was safe from elimination.
- (RISK) The dance crew was at risk for elimination.
- (OUT) The dance crew was eliminated from the competition.
Episode 1: Britney Spears Challenge
- Original Airdate: April 11, 2012
The season kicked off with the first round of crews dancing to a remix of "I Wanna Go". Then, the crews incorporated Spears' hits into their routines. The judges selected four crews to advance to the next round, while the crew who did not make the cut faced elimination in the following week's episode.
|Mix'd Elements||"Till the World Ends"|
|Irratik||"Hold It Against Me"|
|Stepboys||"If U Seek Amy"|
- Safe: Fanny Pak, 8 Flavahz, Irratik, Stepboys
- Bottom: Mix'd Elements
- Original Airdate: April 18, 2012
The other five competing crews danced to "Wild Ones" featuring Sia, with Flo Rida performing alongside with them. Flo Rida then joined the judges table as a special guest judge. Later, the crews crafted their own routines inspired by his songs. After the judges decided the four dance crews that were safe, the bottom crew battled Mix'd Elements to a remix of "Turn Around" to determine which one would be the first eliminated.
|Elektrolytes||"Club Can't Handle Me" feat. David Guetta|
|Rated Next Generation||"Right Round" feat. Kesha|
|Collizion Crew||"Low" feat. T-Pain|
|Mos Wanted Crew||"In the Ayer" feat. will.i.am|
- Safe: Mos Wanted Crew, Collizion Crew, Rated Next Generation, Elektrolytes
- Bottom: Funkdation
- Eliminated: Mix'd Elements
- Original Airdate: April 25, 2012
The nine remaining crews choreographed routines inspired by Madonna's music videos. Each crew had to incorporate their music video's signature dance style into their routine. In this episode, two teams were sent home after a double-elimination.
|Dance Crew||Song||Dance Style|
|Fanny Pak||"Girl Gone Wild"||Waacking|
|Mos Wanted Crew||"4 Minutes" feat. Justin Timberlake and Timbaland||Popping|
|Rated Next Generation||"Human Nature"||Thrashing|
|Stepboys||"Ray Of Light"||Spazzing|
|Collizion Crew||"Don't Tell Me"||Country line dancing|
|Funkdation||"Give Me All Your Luvin'" feat. Nicki Minaj and M.I.A.||Cheerleading|
|Irratik||"Express Yourself"||Jazz steps|
- Safe: Fanny Pak, Elektrolytes, Mos Wanted Crew, 8 Flavahz, Rated Next Generation, Stepboys
- Bottom 3: Collizion Crew, Funkdation, Irratik
- Eliminated: Funkdation, Irratik
- Original Airdate: May 2, 2012
The seven remaining crews selected lyrics from their assigned Drake songs and "brought them to life."
|Dance Crew||Song||Chosen Lyric||Challenge|
|Rated Next Generation||"HYFR" feat. Lil Wayne||"Time for me to revisit the past."||Perform a section of the routine in reverse.|
|Mos Wanted Crew||"The Motto" feat. Lil Wayne and Tyga||"Tell Tune 'Light one, pass it like a relay'."||Create a relay.|
|8 Flavahz||"Find Your Love"||"I bet if I give all my lovin', nothin's gonna tear us apart."||Become connected at some point.|
|Collizion Crew||"Over"||"So I'm riding through this city with my high beams on."||Create a car.|
|Elektrolytes||"Headlines"||"Floating in and out of consciousness."||Create the illusion that someone is levitating.|
|Fanny Pak||"Make Me Proud" feat. Nicki Minaj||"Running on a treadmill and only eating salad."||Create a treadmill.|
|Stepboys||"Best I Ever Had"||"Every single show she out there reppin' like a mascot."||Incorporate a mascot.|
- Safe: Rated Next Generation, Mos Wanted Crew, 8 Flavahz, Collizion Crew, Elektrolytes
- Bottom 2: Fanny Pak, Stepboys
- Eliminated: Stepboys
Episode 5: Jennifer Lopez Challenge
- Original Airdate: May 9, 2012
The six remaining crews paid tribute to Jennifer Lopez. Her choreographer, Beau "Casper" Smart, worked with the crews during rehearsals. Each crew's challenge was to highlight a defining moment in Lopez's career. Smart also gave them an additional challenge that linked to their initial challenge.
|Dance Crew||Song||Initial Challenge||Additional Challenge|
|8 Flavahz||"Let's Get Loud"||Incorporate salsa dancing.||Incorporate trumpets.|
|Mos Wanted Crew||"On the Floor" feat. Pitbull||Incorporate floorwork.||Hype the audience.|
|Elektrolytes||"Get Right"||Create a moving subway car.||Incorporate canes.|
|Collizion Crew||"Jenny from the Block" feat. Styles P and Jadakiss||Incorporate popping, locking, and b-boy moves.||Perform a specific J. Lo move.|
|Rated Next Generation||"Do It Well"||Incorporate the new jack swing dance style.||Perform the move called "The Wop".|
|Fanny Pak||"Waiting for Tonight"||Change clothes during the routine.||Incorporate a four-man lift.|
- Safe: 8 Flavahz, Mos Wanted Crew, Elektrolytes
- Bottom 3: Collizion Crew, Rated Next Generation, Fanny Pak
- Eliminated: Collizion Crew
- Original Airdate: May 16, 2012
The five remaining dance crews began the episode with a dance number to "I Like: The Remix" featuring Enrique Iglesias and The WAV.s, alongside Season 6 runner-up ICONic Boyz. Then, each crew was given a country and an international dance style to incorporate into their routines. In a two-way tie, the Bottom 2 crews advanced to the next round, marking the first time the judges saved both bottom crews from elimination.
|Dance Crew||Song||Country||Dance Style|
|Elektrolytes||"I Know You Want Me"||Brazil||Capoeira|
|8 Flavahz||"Hey Baby" feat. T-Pain||France||Can-can|
|Mos Wanted Crew||"Give Me Everything" feat. Ne-Yo, Afrojack, and Nayer||Russia||Barynya|
|Fanny Pak||"International Love" feat. Chris Brown||India||Bollywood|
|Rated Next Generation||"Hotel Room Service"||China||Dance of 1000 Hands|
- Safe: Elektrolytes, 8 Flavahz, Mos Wanted Crew
- Bottom 2: Fanny Pak, Rated Next Generation
- Eliminated: None
- Original Airdate: May 23, 2012
The five remaining crews created dance routines inspired by Rihanna, beginning with a group performance to "We Found Love" featuring Calvin Harris. Unlike last season, where her choreographer distributed the challenges, Rihanna delivered them to the crews herself.
|Rated Next Generation||"You da One"||Incorporate tricks using bowler hats.|
|8 Flavahz||"Birthday Cake"||Create a fire effect and extinguish it.|
|Mos Wanted Crew||"Cockiness"||Use jackets to create pictures of confidence.|
|Elektrolytes||"Where Have You Been"||Incorporate a microphone stand.|
|Fanny Pak||"Talk That Talk" feat. Jay-Z||Incorporate color guard rifle spins.|
- Safe: Rated Next Generation, 8 Flavahz, Mos Wanted Crew
- Bottom 2: Elektrolytes, Fanny Pak
- Eliminated: Fanny Pak
- Original Airdate: May 30, 2012
The four remaining crews danced to songs by LMFAO, beginning with a group performance to "Live My Life" by Far East Movement featuring Justin Bieber. Redfoo from LMFAO handed out the dance challenges, and Season 3 champion Quest Crew visited the rehearsal studio to work with the crews.
|Mos Wanted Crew||"Sexy and I Know It"||Create a catwalk with wiggle-inspired runway modeling.|
|Elektrolytes||"Champagne Showers" feat. Natalia Kills||Perform robotic moves while transforming into a giant robot.|
|Rated Next Generation||"Sorry for Party Rocking"||Recreate the 15-second dance breakdown from the video.|
|8 Flavahz||"Party Rock Anthem" feat. Lauren Bennett and GoonRock||Recreate the group blow-up from the video, and incorporate "The T-step" and "The Spongebob".|
- Safe: Mos Wanted Crew, Elektrolytes
- Bottom 2: Rated Next Generation, 8 Flavahz
- Eliminated: Rated Next Generation
Episode 9: David Guetta Challenge
- Original Airdate: June 6, 2012
The top three crews competed for the two spots in the championship round to the music of David Guetta. Unlike the format from previous episodes, the crews performed first before the voting results were revealed. Guetta gave each crew the same song mix and challenges to incorporate into their routines. Then, they did a group number to "Titanium" featuring Sia.
|"Memories" feat. Kid Cudi||Gloving|
|"Turn Me On" feat. Nicki Minaj||Move like dolls|
|"Without You" feat. Usher||Gliding|
- Safe: 8 Flavahz
- Bottom 2: Elektrolytes, Mos Wanted Crew
After the Bottom 2 was announced, the two crews had to dance battle to determine which one would advance to the finale.
|Mos Wanted Crew||"Somebody That I Used to Know" by Gotye feat. Kimbra|
|Elektrolytes||"Feel So Close" by Calvin Harris|
- Eliminated: Mos Wanted Crew
Episode 10: Katy Perry Superstar Finale
- Original Airdate: June 13, 2012
The final two crews danced to music from the concert film, Katy Perry: Part of Me, after meeting the pop starlet. Then, the winner was crowned. The show also featured performances by past ABDC champions.
|8 Flavahz and Elektrolytes||"Wide Awake"|
|Elektrolytes and Poreotix||"Part of Me"|
|8 Flavahz and We Are Heroes||"T.G.I.F." feat. Missy Elliott|
|I.aM.mE||"E.T." feat. Kanye West|
|Elektrolytes||"Starships" by Nicki Minaj|
- Winner: Elektrolytes
- Runner-up: 8 Flavahz
- Silberman, Lindsay (2012-03-15). "Exclusive: Meet the New Cast of America's Best Dance Crew". TVGuide. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "ABDC SEASON 7 CREWS ANNOUNCED". Hip Hop International. 2012-03-15. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- Schillaci, Sophie (2012-03-27). "MTV Announces 'America's Best Dance Crew' Featured Artists, Including Madonna, Britney Spears, LMFAO". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2012-03-27.
- Diablo, Scottie (2012-04-11). "Music from America's Best Dance Crew Season 7 Premiere". MTV. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "Episode Detail: Britney Spears Superstar Challenge - Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew". TV Guide Network. 2012-04-07. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- Diablo, Scottie (2012-04-18). "Music from Americas Best Dance Crew Episode 2 Season 7". MTV. Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- "Episode Detail: Flo Rida Superstar Challenge - Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew". TV Guide Network. 2012-04-07. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "Episode Detail: Madonna Superstar Challenge - Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew". TV Guide Network. 2012-04-18. Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- "Two Teams Will Be Sent Home On 'America's Best Dance Crew' Tomorrow Night!". KIIS-FM. 2012-04-24. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- Diablo, Scottie (2012-04-25). "Music from Americas Best Dance Crew Episode 3 Season 7". MTV. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- "Episode Detail: Drake - Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew". TV Guide Network. 2012-05-01. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- Diablo, Scottie (2012-05-02). "Music from Americas Best Dance Crew Episode 4 Season 7". MTV. Retrieved 2012-05-02.
- "Episode Detail: J.LO - Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew". TV Guide Network. 2012-05-01. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- Diablo, Scottie (2012-05-09). "Music from Americas Best Dance Crew Episode 5 Season 7". MTV. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- Diablo, Scottie (2012-05-16). "Music from Americas Best Dance Crew Episode 6 Season 7". MTV. Retrieved 2012-05-16.
- "Episode Detail: Pitbull Superstar Challenge - Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew". TV Guide Network. 2012-05-15. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- ABDC Insider (2012-05-17). "Surprise! No Crew Booted From 'ABDC' In Week 6". MTV. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- "Episode Detail: Rihanna Superstar Challenge - Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew". TV Guide Network. 2012-05-21. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- Diablo, Scottie (2012-05-23). "Music from Americas Best Dance Crew Episode 7 Season 7". MTV. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Diablo, Scottie (2012-05-30). "Music from Americas Best Dance Crew Episode 8 Season 7". MTV. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- "Episode Detail: LMFAO Superstar Challenge - Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew". TV Guide Network. 2012-05-22. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "Episode Detail: David Guetta Superstar Challenge - Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew". TV Guide Network. 2012-06-05. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- Diablo, Scottie (2012-06-06). "Music from Americas Best Dance Crew Episode 9 Season 7". MTV. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- "Episode Detail: Katy Perry Superstar Live Finale - Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew". TVGuide. 2012-06-06. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- Diablo, Scottie (2012-06-13). "Music from Americas Best Dance Crew Episode 10 Season 7". MTV. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
|America's Best Dance Crew