30 January 1949 |
East Chicago, Indiana
|Institutions||New York University|
|Alma mater||Stanford University
|Doctoral advisor||Ralph S. Phillips|
|Doctoral students||Andrea Bertozzi
Andrew Joseph Majda (born 30 January 1949) is an American mathematician and the Morse Professor of Arts and Sciences at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences of New York University. He is known for his theoretical contributions to partial differential equations as well as his applied contributions to diverse areas including shock waves, combustion, incompressible flow, vortex dynamics, and atmospheric sciences. Majda is listed as an ISI highly cited researcher in mathematics.
Born in East Chicago, Indiana, Majda received a B.S. degree in mathematics from Purdue University in 1970. He then received M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in mathematics from Stanford University in 1971 and 1973, respectively. His Ph.D. thesis advisor was Ralph S. Phillips. He began his scientific career as an Instructor at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences from 1973 to 1975. Prior to returning to the Courant Institute in 1994, he held professorships at Princeton University during 1984-1994, the University of California, Berkeley during 1978-1984, and the University of California, Los Angeles during 1976-1978. At Courant Institute, Majda has been instrumental in setting up the "Center for Atmosphere Ocean Science" which aims to promote cross-disciplinary research with modern applied mathematics in climate modeling and prediction.
Honors and awards
- The Leroy P. Steele Prize for Seminal Contribution to Research - 2016 
- Lagrange Prize of ICIAM - 2015 
- Norbert Wiener Prize in Applied Mathematics - 2013
- Honorary Doctorate of Science and Honorary Professor, Fudan University, Shanghai, China - 2008
- Medal of the College de France - 2007
- The New York City Mayor’s Award for Excellence in Mathematical, Physical, and Engineering Sciences - 2004
- Honorary Doctorate of Science, Purdue University - 2000
- Gibbs Lecturer of the American Mathematical Society - 1995
- National Academy of Sciences Prize in Applied Mathematics and Numerical Analysis - 1992
- John von Neumann Lecture Prize of SIAM - 1990
- Medal of the College de France - 1982
Majda is a member of National Academy of Sciences, American Mathematical Society, American Physical Society, and Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- Andrew Majda at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
- Thomson ISI. "Majda, Andrew J., ISI Highly Cited Researchers". Retrieved 2009-06-20.
- Leroy P. Steele Prizes
- ICIAM Prizes
- http://www.ams.org/profession/prizes-awards/pabrowse?purl=wiener-prize Norbert Wiener Prizes]
- "The John von Neumann Lecture". Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. Archived from the original on 10 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-21.
- "Majda, Andrew J.". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 2009-06-21.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-02-02.