Kinsey in 2012
Angela Faye Kinsey
June 25, 1971
Lafayette, Louisiana, U.S.
(m. 2000; div. 2010)
Joshua Snyder (m. 2016)
Angela Faye Kinsey (born June 25, 1971) is an American actress. She is best known for playing Angela Martin in the sitcom The Office (2005–2013). She also appeared in the sitcoms Your Family or Mine (2015) and Haters Back Off (2016–2017).
Kinsey was born in Lafayette, Louisiana. When she was two years old, her family moved to Jakarta, Indonesia, where her father worked as a drilling engineer. They lived there for 12 years, and she attended the Jakarta Intercultural School. During this time, she learned Indonesian, a language she still occasionally speaks. Her family returned to the United States and settled in Archer City, Texas.[when?]
Kinsey studied English at Baylor University, where she became a member of the Chi Omega sorority, "took as many theatre classes as possible", and participated in the "Baylor in London" program. In a 2007 interview with the Baylor student newspaper, she discussed the influence of her years at the university: "It was the perfect place for me to grow into who I am and take the belief system that I had and incorporate it into my life. It was a great place to go to school."
After graduating from Baylor in 1993, Kinsey served as an intern on the NBC talk show Late Night with Conan O'Brien, which she described as an "awesome" experience. She worked for the show's band leader, drummer Max Weinberg. The experience inspired Kinsey to take a coast-to-coast road trip with a friend from New York City to California.
Kinsey moved to Los Angeles and took improvisation classes with The Groundlings and at iO WEST (formerly known as "Improv Olympic West"). Following a two-woman show at iO, she was an operator at 1-800-Dentist and made small one-episode appearances in various sitcoms. She voiced the character "Angela" on two episodes of King of the Hill. In early 2005, she auditioned for the role of receptionist Pam Beesly for the American version of The Office. After producers told her she was "a little too feisty for Pam" she was called back to audition for the role of Angela Martin, which she won. She also appeared on Monk as a murderer named Arlene Boras in "Mr. Monk and the Naked Man" (2007) and "Mr. Monk's 100th Case" (2008).
Kinsey is one of several cast members of The Office to have a role in License to Wed, a film directed by Ken Kwapis, who often directed episodes of The Office. Kinsey updated her MySpace blog with behind-the-scenes anecdotes of upcoming episodes of the series. She has also taken to organizing The Office cast outings: "I remember watching Friends and thinking, 'They really enjoy each other.' We, in fact, hang out."
In summer 2011, she became the new spokesperson for Clairol hair products, appearing in television ads for Clairol Nice 'n Easy. In 2013, she starred in the hit show New Girl. Since 2014, Kinsey has starred in the Hulu comedy series The Hotwives, returning for season two in August 18, 2015. That same year, she starred in the film All-Stars with Lance Kinsey (no relation).
Kinsey stars in the Netflix Original Series Haters Back Off as Bethany, the mother of the main character Miranda Sings. She appears alongside YouTube star Colleen Ballinger, as Miranda, and Steve Little, as Miranda's uncle Jim. While the first season was met with relatively mixed reviews, Kinsey received critical acclaim for her performance.
On September 11, 2019, Kinsey announced via Twitter that she and Jenna Fischer will be co-hosting a weekly podcast called Office Ladies. According to Fischer's announcement, she and Kinsey will "watch an episode of The Office and give you all the stories and behind-the-scenes scoop...as well as some BFF banter about our lives." The first episode of Office Ladies was released October 16, 2019.The podcast is still airing as of May 2020 with appearances from their Office co-stars.
On June 18, 2000, she married writer and producer Warren Lieberstein. He is the brother of Paul Lieberstein, who played Toby Flenderson on The Office. She gave birth to their daughter in May 2008. On February 18, 2009, Kinsey and her husband had separated. Her representative stated that the two continue to be friends. In June 2010, it was announced that Kinsey had filed for divorce, citing "irreconcilable differences."
On August 4, 2016, Kinsey announced her engagement to her long-time boyfriend, actor and baker Joshua Snyder. On November 13, 2016, Kinsey married Snyder. Together, they have a YouTube channel and website called Baking with Josh & Ange. She is still close friends with her Office co-star Jenna Fischer and hosts a podcast called Office Ladies with her.
Kinsey is Presbyterian and attends Bel-Air Presbyterian Church. Kinsey said her grandmother does not watch The Office because she feels the protagonist Michael Scott is too "vulgar". Kinsey said, "She'll say to me, 'Baby, we're so proud of you, I'm proud of you, but I do not care for the show and I do not watch it.'"
|2004||Career Suicide||Tammy||Short film|
|2007||License to Wed||Judith the Jewelry Clerk||N/A|
|2012||Struck by Lightning||Counselor||N/A|
|The Bluegrass Brainwash Conspiracy||Hillbilly||Short film|
|2014||All Stars||Debbie Shipman||N/A|
|2015||Hot Bot||Candy Huffington||N/A|
|2016||Laid in America||Lisa||N/A|
|Slash||Anglaxia Supremacy IV||N/A|
|2019||Tall Girl||Helaine Kreyman||N/A|
|1997–2002||King of the Hill||Angela Martin (voice)||3 episodes|
|1998||Step by Step||Simone||Episode: "Goin' to the Chapel"|
|2003||Run of the House||Maxine||Episode: "The Party"|
|All of Us||Blanche Whitefish||Episode: "Tia Moves In"|
|2005–2013||The Office||Angela Martin||Main role (188 episodes)|
|2006||The Office: The Accountants||Main role (10 episodes)|
|Monk||Arlene Boras||"Mr. Monk and the Naked Man", |
"Mr. Monk's 100th Case"
|2008||The Office: The Outburst||Angela Martin||Episode: "The Explanation"|
|2009||A Temporary Life||Rachel||Movie|
|2010||The Office: The Mentor||Angela Martin||Series regular (4 episodes)|
|American Dad!||Mia (voice)||Episode: "Merlot Down Dirty Shame"|
|The Office: The 3rd Floor||Angela Martin||Episode: "Lights, Camera, Action!"|
|Yo Gabba Gabba!||Teacher / Herself||Episode: "School"|
|2012||First Dates with Toby Harris||April||Episode: "Foreplay"|
|2013||Wilfred||Heather Williger||Episode: "Uncertainty"|
|The Gabriels||Gail Gabriel||Series pilot|
|2013–2016||Hollywood Game Night||Herself||3 episodes|
|2013–2014||New Girl||Rose||4 episodes|
|2014||Hot in Cleveland||Mrs. Carson||Episode: "Dr. Who?"|
|The Hotwives of Orlando||Crystal||Hulu series (14 episodes)|
|Bad Judge||Michelle||4 episodes|
|2014–2016||Celebrity Name Game||Herself||8 episodes|
|2015||Your Family or Mine||Claire||Series regular (6 episodes)|
|2016–2017||Haters Back Off||Bethany||Series regular (16 episodes)|
|The Real O'Neals||Shelia DeMars||2 episodes|
|2016||The 5th Quarter||Tia Cantari||Episode Selling Out: The Frank Cushman Story|
|2017||Life in Pieces||Ruth||Episode: "Chef Rescue Negotiator Necklace"|
|2018||Fresh Off the Boat||Amy Chestnut||Episode: "We Need to Talk About Evan"|
|Terror in the Woods||Dani||television film|
|How May We Hate You?||Dana||television film completed|
|A.P. Bio||Brenda||Episode: "Durbin Crashes"|
|Splitting Up Together||Jeannie Johnson||Episode: "We Need to Talk About Karen"|
|2019||Miracle Workers||Gail||Episode: "2 Weeks"|
|2020||Be Our Chef||Host|
|2020||Never Have I Ever||Vivian||Recurring role|
|2020||Home Movie: The Princess Bride||Vizzini||Upcoming|
Awards and nominations
|2007||Screen Actors Guild||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series||The Office||Won|
|2008||Screen Actors Guild||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Won|
|TV Land Awards||Future Classic||Won|
- Murphy, Joel (February 2006). "One on one with... Angela Kinsey". Hobotrashcan.com. Archived from the original on February 29, 2008. Retrieved February 23, 2008.
- "Angela Kinsey on Megan Mullally" (Video). October 27, 2006. Retrieved February 23, 2008.
she even speaks Indonesian with a southern accent
- Limmer, Melissa (February 15, 2007). "From a Baylor Classroom to the hit The Office". The Lariat Online. Baylor University. Retrieved February 23, 2008.
- "Angela Kinsey teamcoco.com". Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Kinsey, Angela; O'Brien, Conan (June 9, 2009). "Eddie Murphy, Angela Kinsey, Bonnie Raitt & Taj Mahal". The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. Season 1. Episode 7. Universal City, California. NBC.
- "34th Annual Creative Arts & Entertainment Emmy Awards". June 14, 2007. Archived from the original on December 9, 2007. Retrieved February 23, 2008.
- Lynch, Lorrie (April 14–16, 2006). "Who's News". USA Weekend. p. 2.
- "Angela Kinsey's Nice 'n Easy New Role". people.com. Meredith Corporation. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- "Hulu's 'The Hotwives of Orlando' Premieres July 15: First Look and Scoop From Producer Paul Scheer". Yahoo TV. April 30, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "Miranda Sings Netflix Series Haters Back Off Casts Angela Kinsey & Steve Little", Deadline.com, April 5, 2016
- Kinsey, Angela (September 11, 2019). "Aaaaah!! I get to work with my bff again! I am SO excited to share with you all that @jennafischer and I are doing a podcast with @earwolf ! On our show, Office Ladies, we'll have behind the scenes stories of The Office and lots of us just being bffs too! Coming Oct. 16!pic.twitter.com/qPUI6vBGnQ". @AngelaKinsey. Retrieved September 22, 2019.
- Fischer, Jenna (September 11, 2019). "We are excited to be joining the @earwolf team to bring you our new podcast Office Ladies! Each week, @AngelaKinsey and I will watch an episode of The Office and give you all the stories and behind-the-scenes scoop...as well as some BFF banter about our lives. Starts Wed 10/16!pic.twitter.com/EJkpOPI1cw". @jennafischer. Retrieved September 22, 2019.
- "Angela Kinsey Files for Divorce From Husband Warren Lieberstein – American Superstar Magazine". www.americansuperstarmag.com.
- "Congratulations Angela and Family". May 5, 2008. Archived from the original on May 8, 2008. Retrieved May 25, 2008.
- "Celebrity News: Latest Celeb News & Celebrity Gossip – Us Weekly". usmagazine.com.
- "Angela Kinsey Divorce – Office Star Splits from Husband". National Ledger. June 30, 2010. Archived from the original on July 3, 2010. Retrieved July 5, 2010.
- "Angela Kinsey Files For Divorce From Office Co-Worker". TVGuide.com.
- Nessif, Bruna (August 4, 2016). "The Office's Angela Kinsey Is Engaged! Get the Details on Her Adorable Proposal". E! News. Retrieved February 3, 2019.
- Fernandez, Alexia (November 14, 2016). "The Office Star Angela Kinsey Ties the Knot with Joshua Snyder". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved June 3, 2019.
- "Exclusive: The Office's Angela Kinsey Is Married!". Martha Stewart Weddings. November 14, 2016. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- "Angela Kinsey: Ready for Her Close-Up". Summer 2007. Archived from the original on March 25, 2008. Retrieved December 12, 2008.
- "Angela Kinsey Joins Campaign to Help Feral Cats – And the People Who Care for Them". July 15, 2010. Archived from the original on August 7, 2011.
- Breznican, Anthony (June 26, 2020). "Watch the Celebrity-Filled Fan-Film Version of The Princess Bride". Vanity Fair. Retrieved June 26, 2020.