Animals (The Goodies)
|The Goodies episode|
|Episode no.||Series 8
Episode 68 (of 76)
|Original air date||11 February 1980
(Monday — 8.10 p.m.)
This episode is also known as "Animal Liberation" and "Animal Lib" and also "Watership Down".
Written by The Goodies, with songs and music by Bill Oddie.
Tim has been collecting various animals to take part in showbiz. However, Bill and Graeme have other ideas and put the animals to work in energy-saving domestic duties. Tim is horrified at what they have done, so he decides to support an "Animal Discrimination Act": Animals are granted equal rights with humans and it is now illegal for humans to exploit animals.
This includes a ban on eating animals, which enrages carnivore Bill, who decides to "speak out" for vegetables in the "Rabid Frost Programme", where he ends up eating the leader of the Animal Revolutionary Party. In the end, the humans have to disguise themselves as rabbits to escape from the fury of the animals.
- David Attenborough
- David Bellamy
- David Frost
- Reginald Bosanquet
- News at Ten
- Not the Nine O'Clock News
- Watership Down
- "The Complete Goodies" — Robert Ross, B T Batsford, London, 2000
- "The Goodies Rule OK" — Robert Ross, Carlton Books Ltd, Sydney, 2006
- "From Fringe to Flying Circus — 'Celebrating a Unique Generation of Comedy 1960-1980'" — Roger Wilmut, Eyre Methuen Ltd, 1980
- "The Goodies Episode Summaries" — Brett Allender
- "The Goodies — Fact File" — Matthew K. Sharp
- "TV Heaven" — Jim Sangster & Paul Condon, HarperCollinsPublishers, London, 2005