Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck
Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck
Fleck (left) and Boden in 2008
|Alma mater||New York University's Tisch School of the Arts|
|Occupation||Film directors, screenwriters, film editors|
Anna Boden (born 1979) and Ryan K. Fleck (born September 20, 1976) are a team of American film directors, editors, and screenwriters best known for their collaborations on Half Nelson, Sugar, It's Kind of a Funny Story, Mississippi Grind and Captain Marvel.
Boden began watching R-rated movies at a young age such as Stand by Me. Fleck attended New York University's Tisch School of the Arts where he studied film. Initially, Boden was said to have been attending the same college, but other sources indicate that Boden was at Columbia. The two met on the set of a student film where they bonded over the works of Robert Altman and, after Fleck had finished his thesis short film Struggle, they decided to collaborate.
Together they made the short documentaries Have You Seen This Man? and Young Rebels before they wrote and he directed the short film Gowanus, Brooklyn, a sample feature aiming to attract potential financiers to their undeveloped script, Half Nelson.
The short won a prize at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival and Boden and Fleck were subsequently invited to the Sundance Writer's Lab to receive professional feedback on the Half Nelson screenplay. The film did not receive adequate financing for years, and while trying to initiate the project, Fleck explains: "We were trying to get it off the ground so we had plenty of time to keep writing and rewriting. I think the time was valuable because I think we made it as good as we could."
In spite of the effort in making the script "as good as we could" prior to filming, Fleck encouraged Half Nelson's actors to ad lib and improvise, although he and lead actor Ryan Gosling compromised many scenes in the rehearsal process as Fleck thought that Gosling's ideas were too different from the script in some cases. He also had several disagreements with Boden while writing; though he claims their "back and forth" system of rewriting each other's work has always worked well. Half Nelson was well received by critics and got nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor for Ryan Gosling. Many other nominations went to Ryan Gosling for his role as Dan Dunne.
Boden and Fleck have since co-written and co-directed the 2008 film Sugar, which premiered at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival, about a 19-year-old Dominican who immigrates to the United States to play minor league baseball. The two wrote the screenplay after researching about many Dominican immigrants who arrive in America to play in minor league towns, saying: "The stories we heard were so fascinating that it became what we were writing before we'd even decided it was our next project". They also collaborated on a screen adaptation of Ned Vizzini's young adult novel It's Kind of a Funny Story, which was released on October 8, 2010.
In 2012, the duo began work on a gambling movie called Mississippi Grind. The idea for the film came when they would visit riverboat casinos in Iowa. By this point in their career, Boden and Fleck had fully committed to each other, "In the early days of our partnership we had to navigate a lot of issues concerning trust and ego. Nowadays, those issues are almost entirely gone. Having a creative partner who you can wholly trust is a wonderful asset."
They were previously considered to direct Guardians of the Galaxy. Producer Kevin Feige said of them, "We met with lots and lots of people...and Anna and Ryan just had an amazing way of talking about Carol Danvers and talking about her journey...We want filmmakers that can help us focus on and elevate the character journey so it doesn't get lost amongst the spectacle."
|2006||Half Nelson||Ryan Fleck||Yes||Anna Boden||Anna Boden||Anna Boden co-producer with Jamie Patricof, Alex Orlovsky, Lynette Howell and Rosanne Korenberg|
|2008||Sugar||Yes||Yes||Anna Boden||Anna Boden||Duo-directorial debut; Anna Boden credited as Executive Producer|
|2009||Children of Invention||No||No||No||Anna Boden|
|2010||It's Kind of a Funny Story||Yes||Yes||No||Anna Boden|
|2015||Mississippi Grind||Yes||Yes||No||Anna Boden|
Co-written with Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Jac Schaeffer
|2009||In Treatment||Ryan Fleck||No||7 episodes|
|2011||The Big C||Yes||No||2 episodes|
|2014||30 for 30||Ryan Fleck||Anna Boden||Episode: "The Day the Series Stopped"|
Anna Boden credited as Executive Producer
|2014–2015||Looking||Ryan Fleck||No||3 episodes|
|The Affair||Yes||No||4 episodes|
|2017||Room 104||Yes||No||Episode: "Red Tent"|
- According to the State of California. California Birth Index, 1905–1995. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California. Familytreelegends.com
- Johnston, Sheila (June 23, 2007). "Filmmakers on film: Ryan Fleck". London, UK: The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Van Bergen, Jamie. "A Good Team". DGA. Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- People In Film: Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden|It's Kind of a Funny Story, FocusFeatures.com; accessed April 4, 2018.
- Brooklyn Filmmakers Take the Lead, nysun.com; accessed April 4, 2018.
- Anna Boden '02 Wins with Half Nelson
- Ross, Matthew. "25 NEW FACES OF INDIE FILM 2004". Filmmaker Magazine. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Carnevale, Rob. "Half Nelson – Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden interview". IndieLondon. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Gent, A. "Half Nelson Q & A With Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden". IO Film. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Murray, Rebecca. "Exclusive Interview with Half Nelson Writer/Director Ryan Fleck". About.com. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- "Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden, Sugar". The Reeler. 15 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Sciretta, Peter (November 30, 2009). "Ryan Fleck's It's Kind of a Funny Story Begins Production". /Film. Archived from the original on June 12, 2010. Retrieved June 12, 2010.
- Subers, Ray (May 19, 2010). "MPAA Ratings: 'Toy Story 3,' 'Grown Ups,' 'Sorcerer's Apprentice' & More". Box Office Mojo. Archived from the original on June 12, 2010. Retrieved June 12, 2010.
- Macaulay, Scott (January 24, 2015). "Five Questions for Writer/Directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck about their Sundance Premiere, Mississippi Grind". Filmmaker Magazine. Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (April 19, 2017). "'Captain Marvel' Finds Directors in Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on April 19, 2017. Retrieved April 19, 2017.
- Kit, Borys (August 18, 2012). "James Gunn in Talks to Direct Marvel's 'Guardians of the Galaxy' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on August 18, 2012. Retrieved August 18, 2012.
- David, Erik (April 20, 2017). "Exclusive: Kevin Feige on Why Marvel Chose Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden to Direct 'Captain Marvel'". Fandango. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- Scott, A.O. (April 2, 2009). "Diamond in the Rough". New York Times. Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- Pritchard, Tiffany (January 25, 2015). "Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden, Mississippi Grind". Screen Daily. Retrieved February 16, 2018.