|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Bangor|
|Church||Church in Wales|
|Diocese||Diocese of Bangor|
|In office||2004 to 2008|
|Birth name||Phillip Anthony Crockett|
|Born||23 August 1945|
|Died||30 June 2008(aged 62)|
|Education||Pontypridd County Grammar School|
|Alma mater||King's College London
St Michael's College, Llandaff
Early life and education
Crockett was born on 23 August 1945. He was educated at Pontypridd County Grammar School, an all-boys state grammar school in Pontypridd. He studied classics at King's College London, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1967. He remained at King's to study theology in preparation for ordination, completing a Bachelor of Divinity (BD) degree and the Associateship of King's College (AKC) qualification in 1970. He then underwent a year of training at St Michael's College, Llandaff, an Anglican theological college in Wales, leaving in 1971 to be ordained.
Crockett was ordained in the Church in Wales as a deacon in 1971 and as a priest in 1972. He was a curate at Aberdare and Whitchurch (Cardiff). From 1978 to 1986 he was Vicar of Llanafan y Trawsgoed then Rector of Dowlai before serving eight years as the Secretary of the Board of Ministry of the Church in Wales. A fluent Welsh speaker, his final post before his ordination to the episcopate was as Archdeacon of Carmarthen (1999-2004).
Crockett was the first divorced person in the United Kingdom to be appointed as a bishop in a mainstream church, amidst some controversy. In 1985 he separated from his first wife, with whom he had three children. He married Caroline Ann Owen (born 1959) in 1999 and also ordained her in 2006.
- "CROCKETT, Rt Rev. (Phillip) Anthony". Who Was Who. Oxford University Press. April 2014. Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- Debrett's People of Today. London: Debrett's, 2008, ISBN 978-1-870520-95-9
- "Phillip Anthony Crockett". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 23 February 2017. (subscription required)
- BBC Wales obituary
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 2008/2009 (100th edition), Church House Publishing, ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0)
- Who's Who 2008: London: A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- - "The Right Rev Anthony Crockett: Forthright Bishop of Bangor", The Independent, 11 July 2008.
- "First divorced bishop appointed". BBC News. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- "The Right Reverend Anthony Crockett", The Daily Telegraph, 1 July 2008.
|Church in Wales titles|
|Bishop of Bangor
|This article about a United Kingdom bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Anglican bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|