Apostle Islands Lighthouses
Apostle Islands Lighthouses
The original Michigan Island light, one of the six lighthouses listed
|Nearest city||Bayfield, Wisconsin|
|Architect||U.S. Lighthouse Service|
|Governing body||Bureau of Land Management|
|NRHP Reference #||77000145 |
|Added to NRHP||March 8, 1977|
There are several historic lighthouses on Lake Superior on or near the Apostle Islands in Wisconsin. Six of these lighthouses, all in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, were listed as a group on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977 under the name Apostle Islands Lighthouses.
The Apostle Islands lighthouses are popular among tourists. Lighthouse historian Terry Pepper has described them as "one of the more interesting geographically centered collection of [lighthouse] structures" in the United States. Another lighthouse historian, F. Ross Holland, has called them "the largest and finest single collection of lighthouses in the country."
The following lighthouses were included in the 1977 National Register listing:
- Michigan Island Lighthouse (Two lighthouses located at this site)
- Raspberry Island Lighthouse
- Outer Island Lighthouse
- Sand Island Light
- Devils Island Lighthouse
Other lighthouses are in the area, but are not included in the Apostle Islands Lighthouses listing:
- La Pointe Lighthouse and Chequamegon Point Lighthouse (listed together as the La Pointe Light Station, #83003366)
- Ashland Harbor Breakwater Lighthouse - In the vicinity, but not technically in the Apostle Islands.
- Gull Island Light, Gull Island
Major restoration projects were initiated at several of the lighthouses of the Apostle Islands in 2013.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "Lighthouses of the Apostles". Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. National Park Service. Retrieved December 15, 2013.
- Jones, Meg (September 21, 2013). "$7 million project keeps Apostle Islands lighthouses shining". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- NPS - Inventory of Historic Light Stations - Wisconsin
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of the United States: Northern Wisconsin". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Wisconsin". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- Pepper, Terry. "Seeing the Light: Lighthouses on the western Great Lakes".
- Busch, Jane (2008) People and Places: A Human History of the Apostle Islands. National Park Service.
- Havighurst, Walter (1943) The Long Ships Passing: The Story of the Great Lakes, Macmillan Publishers.
- Oleszewski, Wes, Great Lakes Lighthouses, American and Canadian: A Comprehensive Directory/Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses, (Gwinn, Michigan: Avery Color Studios, Inc., 1998) ISBN 0-932212-98-0.
- Wright, Larry and Wright, Patricia, Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia Hardback (Erin: Boston Mills Press, 2006) ISBN 978-1-55046-399-6.