Athens University of Economics and Business
Οικονομικό Πανεπιστήμιο Αθηνών
Emblem of the Athens University of Economics and Business
|Ανωτάτη Σχολή Εμπορικών Σπουδών|
ΑΣΟΕΕ/ASOEE (Ανωτάτη Σχολή Οικονομικών και Εμπορικών Επιστημών)
Greece University System
Higher Education Institution
|Students||3,000 per year|
|Undergraduates||1,800 per year|
|Postgraduates||1,200 per year|
|Colours||Dark red and white|
Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB; Greek: Οικονομικό Πανεπιστήμιο Αθηνών, Oikonomiko Panepistimio Athinon, abbrev. ΟΠΑ, OPA) was founded in 1920 in Athens, Greece. Its buildings are housed on Patision Street.
Before 1989, the university was known in Greek as the Supreme School of Economics and Business (Ανωτάτη Σχολή Οικονομικών και Εμπορικών Επιστημών, Anotati Scholi Oikonomikon kai Emborikon Epistimon, abbrev. ΑΣΟΕΕ, ASOEE). Though the university of business's official name has changed, it is still known popularly in Greek by this former acronym.
- 1 History
- 2 Academic departments
- 3 Undergraduate studies
- 4 Postgraduate studies
- 5 Non-degree programs
- 6 Academic Evaluation
- 7 Faculty
- 8 Campus
- 9 Library
- 10 Computer center
- 11 Research laboratories
- 11.1 Department of Accounting and Finance
- 11.2 Department of Business Administration
- 11.3 Department of Economics
- 11.4 Department of Informatics
- 11.5 Department of International & European Economic Studies
- 11.6 Department of Management Science & Technology
- 11.7 Department of Marketing & Communication
- 11.8 Department of Statistics
- 12 AUEB Students' Clubs and Societies
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- 15 External links
The Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB) was founded in 1920 under the name of Athens School of Commercial Studies. It was renamed in 1926 as the Athens School of Economics and Business, a name that was retained until 1989 when it assumed its present name, the Athens University of Economics and Business.
It is the oldest university in Greece in the fields of Economics and Business, its roots tracing to the establishment of a Merchant Academy in Athens. Up to 1955 the school offered only one degree in the general area of economics and commerce. In 1955 the duration of study at the School is increased from three to four years and two cycles of study leading to two separate degrees: one in economics and the other in business administration. In 1984 the school was divided into three departments, namely the Department of Economics, the Department of Business Administration and the Department of Statistics and Business Informatics, the latter renamed to the Informatics Department in 1995.
In 1989, the university expanded to six departments. From 1999 onwards, the university developed even further and nowadays it includes eight academic departments, offering eight undergraduate degrees, 28 master's degrees and an equivalent number of doctoral programs.
The Athens University of Economics and Business today comprises three Schools and eight academic Departments.
|School of Business|
|School of Economics|
|School of Informatics|
Each Department accepts students at the undergraduate level, after successfully passing the pan-Hellenic exams, and offers a 4-year undergraduate program of studies. Each academic department also offers one or more graduate programs of studies, leading to a master's degree, as well as a Doctoral Program, leading to a PhD Degree.
Each department of the Athens University of Economics and Business awards an undergraduate degree (Ptychion) equivalent to a four-year B.A. or B.Sc. in their respective fields.
To be able to graduate and get his/her degree, a student has to attend and successfully complete 8 semesters of study (four years), corresponding to a total of approximately 240 ECTS credit hours. Foreign language courses in English, French or German are offered in all semesters and count towards degree requirements. Depending on their choice of electives, students acquire a major concentration on particular subjects.
Undergraduate courses in English
In addition to the above, there are many courses offered in English, mainly (but not only) for international students who come to AUEB under the Erasmus program. A total of approximately 60 courses are offered in English, each one counting towards 6 ECTS credits.
There are thirty-six different Masters Programmes that are currently offered at AUEB. They include full-time programmes, part-time programmes, and joint programmes (with other Universities).
The duration of graduate studies at the Master's level is between 15–27 months. Students are admitted to these programs after satisfying certain admission criteria such as results at the GMAT or GRE tests, proficiency of English, academic performance at the undergraduate level, work experience (mainly for the MBA as well as the part-time programs). Graduate students may receive scholarships or assistantships.
- M.B.A International 
- MSc in Marketing & Communication, Specialization in International Marketing 
- MSc in Accounting and Finance 
- MSc in International Shipping, Finance and Management (ISFM) 
Programmes in collaboration with other universities
- M.A. in Heritage Management (with the University of Kent) 
- Athens M.B.A. (with the National Technical University of Athens) 
- M.Sc. in Business Mathematics (with the University of Athens) 
- Interdisciplinary Program of Graduate Studies in Basic and Applied Cognitive Science (with the University of Athens) 
Doctorates are awarded by each Department upon the completion of courses, a successful qualifying exam, a dissertation and its successful defence in public. Holding a master's degree is a necessary requirement in order to be accepted to the Ph.D. program.
The university offers additional training to the students of the university, as well as executive training programs.
A number of non-degree courses are offered to the students who are interested to expand their knowledge and skills. These include foreign language courses and courses on computer skills. In addition, a large number of executive seminars are offered, either in-house to companies, or open.
In 2015 the external evaluation committee gave Athens University of Economics and Business a Positive evaluation.
The Athens University of Economics and Business is ranked 501st-600th in The Times Higher Education (THE) annual list  and 151st-200th in the QS World University Rankings in Business and Management Studies.
In the field of econometrics, AUEB comes internationally in 48th place according to the Journal of Econometric Theory. The economics department ranks in the 76th place worldwide.
The MBA International Program, has nine specializations / majors and is offered in English. The Program is accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA), and ranked among the top 20 MBA prograin Europe and the top 50 in the world.
The academic staff of the university consists of resident faculty, adjunct faculty, and visiting faculty. In addition, teaching and research assistants, foreign language and athletics instructors, and teachers of cultural activities are members of the academic staff. Faculty members are assisted by teaching and research assistants.
The resident academic staff of the university is currently composed of 37% professors, 18% associate professors, 23% assistant professors, and 22% lecturers.
The Athens University of Economics and Business is centrally located in downtown Athens. The main building of the university is located at 76, Patision Street Street in Athens, two blocks away from the Archaeological Museum. This site was where the first football ground of Panathinaikos Football Club existed from 1908 until 1922. The contemporary building was constructed in 1935 with money donated by the Greek-Russian benefactor Grigorios Maraslis. The rear of the building faces the Pedion Areos Park and the Panellinios Sports Club. Four more buildings in the area cover the university's needs in offices and teaching rooms. One of them is located at 12, Kodrigtonos Street and the other at 12, Derigny Street.
The Research Center is located a few blocks away, at 46, Kefallinias Street and the Graduate School building is located at Louzitania building at the corner of Evelpidon and Lefkados Street.
The AUEB library was founded in 1928 and in 1990 it experienced a massive modernization and IT automation, partly financed by the European Community. Today it covers all aspects of automation, including OPAC, SDI, acquisitions, bar-code-based lending, etc., and uses the integrated library automation system Equilibrium-Libreto.
The library comprises more than 100,000 book titles, and more than 1,000 printed academic journal titles covering areas of Economics, International and European Economic Studies, Business Administration, Management Science and Marketing, Informatics, Statistics, Accounting and Finance, and Management and Technology.
The library also offers 150 CD-ROMs (the Official Journal of the EC in full text, bibliographical database of the Official Publications of the EU, statistical data on the imports and exports of the member-states of the EU etc.) Access to the above-mentioned CD-ROMs is available from all library departments via the CD-ROM network. Finally, the library offers daily business magazines and journals in the areas of economics and business.
In addition, the Library participates in a consortium for national and international inter-library loans. Thus, the library users have access to the libraries of the Centre of Planning and Economic Research, the Bank of Greece, the National Documentation Centre, as well as to several libraries in Europe. The library employs 14 people and is open, for all students, from 08:30 to 20:00 on working-days. There are also reading facilities which are available daily until 20:00.
Business databases and literature search facilities
The AUEB library subscribes over 1,000 electronic journals through all the major electronic search engines (EBSCO, Elsevier's Sciencedirect, Springer's Link, JSTOR, MCB, WilsonWeb, Blackwell publishing, Oxford University Press, Wiley InterScience, CambridgeJournalsOnline etc.). Electronic access to the subscribed journals can be performed from any computer connected to the university intranet or irrespective of location, through dial-up, which is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Also the library offers access to the OECD iLibrary (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development) database including data, analyses and forecasts.
The library also encompasses the European Documentation Centre which was established by the European Commission in partnership with the university in June 1992 in order to support teaching and research on EU matters. It is part of the university's library and is open to all members of the university, to the wider academic community as well as to everyone interested in EU policies and affairs.
AUEB Publishing The institute has recently developed a publishing activity. One of the future plans of the company is to set up an academic bookshop with special prices for the students. In the meantime, books are sold from the Company's offices.
AUEB computer center facilities occupie an area of approximately 700 m2 and holds an extensive library of educational, scientific and business software.
Serving more than 7,000 users, the Computer Centre research and teaching facilities include five computer labs which are tailored for the research and teaching needs of the University.
The activities undertaken by the faculty  are twofold:
- Basic theoretical research, which aims at the production and advancement of scientific and technological knowledge. This type of research is published in international scientific journals, proceedings of scientific congresses etc.
- Applied research and consulting, which aims at the resolution of major problems of the economy and society, and of the firms.
The laboratories mission is:
- To conduct forefront research in all aspects of scientific knowledge studied within the university,
- To develop educational, research-based and other similar activities in accordance with the general principles and Research Code of the university,
- To cooperate with other Research Centres and Academic Institutions in Greece or abroad, yet within a frame of solidarity and mutual trust, provided that similar or complementary scientific objectives are being sought,
The research laboratories currently operating at AUEB are the following:
Department of Accounting and Finance
- Accounting Laboratory
- Laboratory for Applied Finance
Department of Business Administration
- Business Informatics Laboratory
- Industrial Relations and Negotiations Laboratory
- Business Strategy Laboratory
- Analysis of Markets and Consumer Behaviour Laboratory
- Development and Promotion of Financial Products and Services Laboratory
Department of Economics
- Econometrics Laboratory
- Athens Laboratory of Economic Policy Studies – IMOP
Department of Informatics
- Network Economics and Services Laboratory
- Wireless Networks and Multimedia Telecommunications Laboratory – MmLab
- Artificial Intelligence and Decision Support Systems Laboratory
- Information Processing Laboratory
- Algorithms for the Internet and the Web Research Group
Department of International & European Economic Studies
- Laboratory for the Documentation and Analysis of European and International Economic/Financial/Econometric Issues (EUROLAB)
Department of Management Science & Technology
- Electronic Commerce and e-Business Laboratory – ELTRUN
- Management Science Laboratory – MSL
- Transportation Systems and Supply Chain Management Laboratory – TRANSLOG
- Information Systems Technology Laboratory – ISTLab
- Strategy and Entrepreneurship Laboratory – ESTE
Department of Marketing & Communication
- Multimedia Laboratory for Communication and Marketing
- Marketing Laboratory – ALARM
- Human Resource Management Laboratory
- Sectoral Research and Studies Laboratory
- Business Applications and Evaluation Laboratory
- Digital Business and Strategy Laboratory
Department of Statistics
- Laboratory of Probability and Statistics Applications in Complex Economy, Insurance and Technology Systems
- Statistical Methodology and Data Analysis Laboratory
AUEB Students' Clubs and Societies
Students' Association "Sotiris Petroulas"
" Sotiris Petroulas " Students' Association is managed by 11 members elected during the students' elections each spring. The association has played a key role in the solution of problems of student life and contributes to the enhancement of the quality of studies at the university.
- "Athens University of Economics and Business History". www.aueb.gr.
- "AUEB in Numbers" (in Greek). www.aueb.gr/el/modip.
- HQA Final Report - Department of Business Administration
- HQA Final Report - Department of Marketing and Communication
- HQA Final Report - Department of Accounting and Finance
- HQA Final Report - Department of Management Science and Technology
- HQA Final Report - Department of Economics
- HQA Final Report - Department of International and European Economic Studies
- HQA Final Report - Department of Informatics
- HQA Final Report - Department of Statistics
- "Department of Economics - Overview". www.aueb.gr.
- AUEB Undergraduate Courses in English, retrieved 2014 Archived February 2, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- "Master Programs AUEB". www.aueb.gr.
- IMBA official website
- PRIMA official website
- ACCFIN official website
- Shipping Management Program
- M.A in Heritage Management official website
- Athens M.B.A. official website Archived November 8, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- M.Sc. in Business Mathematics official website
- Cognitive Science postgrad programme official website
- AUEB Non-degree programmes info, retrieved 2014 Archived 2014-02-02 at the Wayback Machine
- AUEB executive training programmes info, retrieved 2014 Archived 2014-02-02 at the Wayback Machine
- "AUEB - External Evaluation Report" (PDF). www.adip.gr. 2015."AUEB is a leading Greek institution in its field and stands well in comparison to international institutions attaining excellence in the areas of entrepreneurship and internationalisation and in its social involvement and contribution."
- External Evaluation Reports of Departments 2010-2014, HQA.
- Department of Business Administration (2010)
- Department of Marketing and Communication (2010)
- Department of International and European Economic Studies (2012)
- Department of Informatics (2012)
- Department of Economics (2013)
- Department of Management Science and Technology (2013)
- Department of Accounting and Finance (2014)
- Department of Statistics (2014)
- "THE World University Rankings - AUEB". Times Higher Education (THE). 2017.
- "QS World University Rankings - AUEB". QS World University Rankings. 2017.
- "International Rankings - AUEB". www.aueb.gr.
- "EconWiki Rankings".
- "Master - International Management".
- "History of the Library - AUEB". www.aueb.gr.
- "AUEB Publishing". www.aueb.gr.
- AUEB Research info, retrieved 2014 Archived 2014-02-02 at the Wayback Machine
- "Research Laboratories of AUEB". www.aueb.gr.
- AUEB Free and Open Source Community
- AUEB Film Club blog
- "AUEB Clubs and Communities info" (in Greek). www.aueb.gr.
- "AUEB Alumni" (in Greek). www.aueb.gr.
- AUEB Student life info page Archived 2014-01-29 at the Wayback Machine
- Athens University of Economics and Business Official Website (in Greek) (in English)
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQA) (in Greek) (in English)
- AUEB Internal Quality Assurance Unit (in Greek)
- AUEB Central Library (in Greek) (in English)
- AUEB ERASMUS info (in Greek) (in English)
- AUEB DASTA Office (Career Office & Innovation Unit) (in Greek) (in English)
- AUEB Network Organisation Center (NOC) (in Greek) (in English)
- Greek Research & Technology Network (GRNET) (in Greek) (in English)
- okeanos (GRNET's cloud service) (in Greek) (in English)
- Kallipos (e-books Greek academic publishing) (in Greek) (in English)
- AUEB Free and Open Source Community (in Greek) (in English)
- AUEB Computer Science department student web portal/forum (in Greek)
- Job Fair Athens (in Greek) (in English)
- AUEB Clubs and Communities (in Greek)