Technical University of Crete
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Campus||Kounoupidiana Campus, 7 km east of the city of Chania|
The Technical University of Crete (TUC; Greek: Πολυτεχνείο Κρήτης, Polytechneio Kritis) is a state university under the supervision of the Greek Ministry of Education and was founded in 1977 in Chania, Crete. The first students were admitted in 1984. The campus is located on a panoramic site in the peninsula of Maelehas (ancient Keamon, also known as" Akrotiri) and covers an area of 750 acres (3.0 km2), 7 km Northeast of Chania. Library, cafeterias, and students' dormitories are located on campus. The purpose of the institution is to conduct research, to provide under-graduate and graduate educational programs in modern engineering fields as well as to develop links with the Greek industry.
The Technical University of Crete ranks highly among the Greek technical universities in terms of research productivity, research funding, scientific publications and citation per faculty member. In addition, the Technical University of Crete is among the first and top Greek institution with the highest rate of research publications per faculty member.
The emblem of the Technical University of Crete is Daedalus.
||This college or university section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia guidelines for college and university articles. (May 2010)|
The Technical University of Crete comprises five Engineering Schools, all of which offer undergraduate and postgraduate study programmes.
- Department of Production Engineering & Management
Production engineering and management is a broad discipline involving the design of effective systems and methods used to develop production resources to their full potential. Production and management engineers draw upon the knowledge of mathematics, physical and engineering sciences, production systems, operations research, computer science, management and behavioral sciences to function as problem solvers, system designers, innovators and managers.
Divisions: Production Systems , Decision Science , Management
Computer Aided Manufacturing , Intelligent Technological Systems , Computer Aided Design , Robotics , Environmental Engineering and Management , Dynamic Systems and Simulation , Decision Support Systems , Data Analysis and Forecasting , Financial Engineering , Management Systems , Work Safety and Cognitive Ergonomics
The Department of Production Engineering and Management offers M.S and PhD Programs in Engineering Management, Operations Research and Production Engineering.
- Department of Sciences
The objective of the department of sciences of the Technical University of Crete is to provide courses in basic disciplines such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, mechanics and social sciences, thus providing curriculum support to all departments. The department also promotes research in applied sciences and engineering.
Divisions: Mathematics , Physics , Chemistry , Mechanics , Social Science
Laboratories: Applied Mathematics and Computer , Matter structure and laser physics , Physical chemistry and chemical processes , Analytical and environmental chemistry , Applied Mechanics , Applied Socio Economic Research
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
The department is the second of its kind that was founded in Greece to cover the needs of the country’s industry with engineers having studies and know-how in Computer Engineering. The ECE Department received its first undergraduate and graduate students in 1990. The department offers dimploma, MSc and PhD programs in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Divisions: Electronics and Computer Architecture , Computer Science , Control Systems , Telecommunications
Laboratories: Computer Science Division: Distributed Multimedia Information Systems and Applications , Intelligent Systems , Software Technology and Network Applications. Electronics and Computer Architecture Division: Electronics , Electric Circuits and Renewable Energy Sources , Microprocessor and Hardware. Control Systems Division: Automation. Telecommunications Division: Information and Networks , Telecommunications , Digital Image and Signal Processing.
- Department of Mineral Resources Engineering
- Department of Environmental Engineering
- Department of Architectural Engineering 
An external evaluation of all academic departments in Greek universities was recently conducted by the Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA).
- Department of Environmental Engineering (2011) 
- Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering (2011) 
- Department of Mineral Resources Engineering (2011) 
- Department of Production Engineering & Management (2012) 
- Department of Architecture (2013) 
Within the framework of foreign strong international relations with universities from all over the world, TUC has signed Bilateral Cooperation Agreements with the following institutions:
- Georg-Simon-Ohm-Fachhochschule Nurenberg, Germany
- Fachhochschule Aachen, Germany
- Technical University of Ilmenau, Germany
- Freie Universitaet Berlin, Germany
- Universitaet Lueneburg, Germany
- Technische Universitet Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany
- Technische Fachhochschule Berlin, Germany
- Université des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, France
- Université Paul Sabatier Toulouse III, France
- Università degli Studi di Trieste, Italy
- Università degli Studi di Catania, Italy
- Università degli Studi di Torino, Italy
- Università degli Studi di Bologna, Italy
- Universite de Liege, Belgium
- Universiteit Antwerpen, Belgium
- Universidad de Cantabria, Spain
- Universidad de Sevilla, Spain
- Universidad Politecnica de Catalunya, Spain
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Czech Republic
- Czech University of Agriculture in Prague, Czech Republic
- BRNO University of Technology, Prague, Czech Republic
- Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic
- Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic
- University of Mining & Technology St Ivan Rilski, Bulgaria
- Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria
- University of Chemical Technology
- University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K
- National Technical University of Athens, Greece
- Montana Tech of the University of Montana, Butte, Montana, USA
- Middle East Technical University, Turkey
Honorary Doctorate Degree Awards
The Technical University of Crete has conferred the title Doctor Honoris causa to the following distinguished scientists:
- 5/5/1993. Rudolf Kalman, founder of the modern mathematical control theory, Emeritus Professor at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.
- 3/5/1996. Sir David Cox, founder of Modern Statistics, Professor at the University of Oxford.
- 2/12/1996. Michael Athans, founder of the self-adjusting control in the field of automation, Professor at M.I.T.
- 26/5/2000. Kenneth R. Laker, founder of micro-electronics in the field of active filters of acoustics surface waves, Professor at the University of Pennsylvania.
- 10/6/2002. Bernard Roy, founder of the European School of Multicriteria Decision Analysis, Emeritus Professor at the Universite Paris-Dauphine.
- 15/12/2004. Mohammad Jamshidi, expert on modelling, control and applications of Large-scale complex systems, Regents Professor at the University of New Mexico.
- 15/12/2004. Athanasios Fokas, expert on non-linear mathematical science, Professor at the University of Cambridge.
- 4/3/2005. Laurent Lafforgue, outstanding contribution to Langlands program in the field of number theory and analysis, Permanent Professor at the Institute des hautes etudes scientifiques (IHES).
- 1/2/2006. Eftychios Bitsakis, outstanding contribution to Theoretical Physics, Professor Emeritus at the University of Ioannina.
The Technical University of Crete cooperate with universities and other organizations of higher learning and research. Within this framework, it has been a member of the European University Association since 1995 (E.U.A), a member of the Conference of European Engineering schools of Advanced Research (CESAER) since 2003. CESAER, is a non-profit association of leading engineering universities in Europe. CESAER was set up on May 10, 1990, with headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. The main objectives are to provide high quality engineering education in Europe and to improve links between association members in research, as well as postgraduate and continuing education.
Members of CESAER
TUC is also a member of the Réseau Méditerranéen des Ecoles d'Ingénieurs (RMEI), a member of the Community of Mediterranean Universities (CMU) and a full partner of NEARCTIS (A Network of Excellence for Advanced Road Cooperative Traffic management in the Information Society). It is an academic network gathering the main teams working on the field of traffic management and optimisation, with a particular focus on cooperative systems for road traffic optimisation, but it covers a wide scope as it appears that cooperative systems have to be integrated into the whole traffic management systems. The full partners are:
- Technische Universiteit Delft, Netherlands
- Imperial College London, United Kingdom
- University College London, United Kingdom
- University of Southampton, United Kingdom
- EPFL, Switzerland
- Technical University of Crete, Greece
- Institut National de Recherche sur les Transports et leur Securite, France
- Europe Recherche Transport, France
- Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V., Germany
SOCRATES is a programme funded by the European Union that covers all areas and levels of education. The section involving higher education is called Erasmus. Students can participate in this exchange programme by studying at a particular university in another European country for a short period. Study placements involve either attending classes at a host university. The Technical University of Crete, has signed many bilateral agreements with other universities. The number of the outgoing and incoming students is increasing, year after year, indicating that the programme is very successful.
- University of Crete, a Greek university also situated in Crete, established in 1973.
- List of universities in Greece
- Polytechnic (Greece)
- QS World University Rankings 2016 - Top 300 in Environmental Engineering 
- TUC Research Status 2014 (greek)
- Technical University of Crete - Awards & Distinctions
- "TUC Professors broke the 10,000 citation level according to Google Scholar". Technical University of Crete. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- Technical University of Crete Schools
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Environmental Engineering, Technical University of Crete, 2011
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Electronic & Computer Engineering, Technical University of Crete, 2011
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Mineral Resources Engineering, Technical University of Crete, 2011
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Production Engineering & Management, Technical University of Crete, 2012
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Architecture, Technical University of Crete, 2013
- Technical University of Crete (TUC) - Official Website (in English) (in Greek)
- Technical University of Crete Special Research Fund Account (in English) (in Greek)
- Guide to Laboratories of the Technical University of Crete (in English) (in Greek)
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA)(in Greek) (in English)
- Department of Production Engineering and Management, HQAA Final Report, 2012 (in English)
- Department of Mineral Resources Engineering, HQAA Final Report, 2011 (in English)
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, HQAA Final Report, 2011 (in English)
- Department of Environmental Engineering, HQAA Final Report, 2011 (in English)
- Department of Architecture, HQAA Final Report, 2013 (in English)
- DASTA Office (Career Office & Innovation Unit), HQAA Final Report, 2012 (in English)
- "ATHENA" Plan for Higher Education (in Greek)
- Greek Research & Technology Network (GRNET) (in Greek) (in English)
- okeanos (GRNET's cloud service) (in Greek) (in English)
- synnefo - Open Source Cloud Software (GRNET) (in Greek) (in English)