Attila Aşkar was graduated from St. Joseph High School in Istanbul, Turkey in 1961. He received his Diplom in Civil Engineering from the Technical University of Istanbul in 1966, and his PhD in Program in Applied and Computational Mathematics founded by A. Cemal Eringen under the supervision of Ahmet Çakmak at Princeton University in the United States in 1969.
He was the head in the department of Mathematics at Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey. After losing the Boğaziçi University Rector (president) elections in Boğaziçi University he moved to Koç University's "İstinye Campus" in İstanbul as a professor of Mathematics and the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Professor Aşkar then was appointed as the president and provost (rector) of the Koç University.
He held many visiting research scientist and professor positions at prestigious universities like Brown University, Princeton University, Paris University VI, the Max-Planck Institute in Göttingen, Germany and the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden.
Dr. Aşkar's recent research interests included scattering of classical and quantum waves, wavelet analysis and molecular dynamics. He is the author of over eighty research journal articles and two books.
Representative scientific journal publications
- A. Aşkar, A. Çakmak, and H. Rabitz, Nodal structure and global behavior of scattering wave functions, J. Chem. Phys., 72, 5287, DOI: 10.1063/1.439739, (1980)
- M. Duff, H. Rabitz, A. Aşkar, A. Çakmak, and M. Ablowitz, A Comparison Between Finite Element Methods and Spectral Methods as Applied to Bound State Problems, J. Chem. Phys., 72, 1543, DOI: 10.1063/1.439381, (1980)
- A. Aşkar, A. S. Çakmak, and H. Rabitz, Finite Element Methods for Reactive Scattering, Chem. Phys., 33, 367, DOI: 10.1016/0301-0104(78)87134-1, (1978)
- H. Rabitz, A. Aşkar, and A. S. Çakmak, The Use of Global Wavefunctions in Scattering Theory, Chem. Phys., 29, 61, DOI: 10.1016/0301-0104(78)85061-7, (1978)
He received recognitions, which include the Junior Scientist and Science awards of the National Research Council (TÜBİTAK), the Information Age Award of the Ministry of Culture, and entry to the National Academy of Sciences of Turkey.
- Atillâ AŞKAR, date of graduation from high school:1961 - date of birth:1944
- List of İstanbul Özel Saint Joseph Fransız Lisesi Graduates
- Ahmet Çakmak named 2000 SEAS Distinguished Professor of the department of operations research and financial engineering
- Ahmet Çakmak, Professor Emeritus, the department of operations research and financial engineering
- Ahmet Çakmak, Professor of the Department of Civil and Geological Engineering
- Presidents of Boğaziçi University
- Rabitz Research Group
|This article about an Asian mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Turkish scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|