An Audie Award (or Audie), bestowed annually in the United States, recognizes outstanding audiobooks and spoken-word entertainment. The Audies have been granted by the Audio Publishers Association, the not-for-profit trade organization of the audiobook industry, since 1996. The nominees are announced each year in February, and the winners are announced at a gala banquet held in May, usually when the BookExpo America fair is happening. The Audies are sometimes promoted as "the Oscars of the audiobook industry" and serve as a way to promote audiobooks.
Awards are given in about thirty categories. Some of the awards relate to types of writing, including abridged and unabridged fiction and non-fiction, and such genres as romance, fantasy and mystery; other awards recognize excellence in different styles of narration and production, such as multi-voiced performance and production values. Over the years, the structure and the categories of the awards have changed. These changes are reflected in the lists of the Audie award winners in the external links below.
- Audiobook of the Year
- Fiction: titles that don't fit into the following nine specific fiction categories.
- Literary Fiction & Classics
- Science Fiction
- Inspirational/Faith-based Fiction
- Non-fiction: titles that don't fit into the following ten specific non-fiction categories.
- Business/Personal Development
- Inspirational/Faith-based Non-fiction
- Original Work: not based on a print work
- Young Listeners
- Middle Grade
- Young Adult
- Audio Drama
- Best Female Narrator
- Best Male Narrator
- Best Narration by the Author
- Multi-voiced Performance: multiple readers with little to no interaction
These are given to the Industry at the Audio Publishers Association conference:
- Excellence in Design
- Excellence in Marketing
- Excellence in Production
- "The Audies Finalists 2008" (PDF). AudioFile. 2008. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- Alexandra Alter (August 1, 2013). "The New Explosion in Audio Books". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved June 2, 2014.
- Audie Nominations 2016 Press Release Archived February 21, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. February 2016
- Audie 2016 call for entry Archived September 22, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.