Old Barisis Railway Station
|Intercommunality||Val de l'Ailette|
|• Mayor (2008–2020)||François Bobo|
|Area1||15.11 km2 (5.83 sq mi)|
|• Density||48/km2 (120/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||02049 /02700|
|Elevation||53–186 m (174–610 ft)
(avg. 50 m or 160 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Barisiens or Barisiennes
Barisis-aux-Bois is located some 20 km west of Laon and 25 km north of Soissons. The village is in the heart of the national forest of Saint-Gobain. The commune can be accessed by the D1750 road from Pierremande in the west to the village with the D534 continuing east to Saint-Gobain and the D535 going south-east to Septvaux. There is also the D53 road from Amigny-Rouy in the north passing through the village and continuing south to Verneuil-sous-Coucy. The D7 road from Amigny-Rouy to Saint-Gobain passes through the northern corner of the commune. Other than the village there are three hamlets in the commune: Bernagousse, L'Abbaye, and Le Crotoir. The commune is heavily forested - especially in the north - with some areas of farmland. 
The Menil stream passes through the commune from south to north joining the Ruisseau de Servais and continuing north forming part of the eastern border of the commune joining with many other streams before joining the Oise.
Barisis-aux-Bois has an old railway station on the former Chauny to Saint-Gobain line.
Party per bend sinister, one azure, with a tree proper in pale leaved in vert truncated by bend; two vert, a herbed terrace over a river all in bend sinister; over all a bend sinister argent charged with four pigs proper spotted in sable contourned.
List of Successive Mayors of Barisis-aux-Bois
|1977||1983||Marie Claire Dejean-Ficheau|
(Not all data is known)
In 2010 the commune had 723 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known through the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of municipalities with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
- Louis Nicolas Lemasle, painter, retired in Barisis and died there on 14 October 1876.
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002 , the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" which allow, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For municipalities with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these municipalities is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Decree No. 2014-1447 dated 3 December 2014 (in French)
- Barisis on Lion1906
- Inhabitants of Aisne (in French)
- Barisis on Google Maps
- Barisis on the Géoportail from National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Barisy on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Barisy on the 1790 Cassini Map
- Ldh/EHESS/Cassini database (in French)
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barisis-aux-Bois.|