A general view of Arcy-Sainte-Restitue
|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Daniel Fonte|
|26.43 km2 (10.20 sq mi)|
|• Density||15/km2 (40/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||79–197 m (259–646 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Arcy-Sainte-Restitue is located some 40 km west of Reims and 20 km south-east of Soissons. The main access to the commune is by the D6 road from the north which passes through the heart of the commune and continues south to join the D2 near Saponay. The village is accessed by the D1210 road coming from Hartennes-et-Taux in the west to the village then continuing south-west to join the D6. The D22 road also comes from Ouchy-le-Chateau in the south-west to the village then continuing north-east to join the D6 in the north of the commune. The D83 road also passes through the north of the commune crossing the D6 at the northern border and continuing south-east to the western border of the commune. The commune is mostly farmland with some areas of forest to north, south, east, and west.
The Ruisseau de Chouy rises west of the village and flows east through the village and the commune to join the Muze river at the western border of the commune.
In 852 the Count of Moreuil, Lord of Picardy, went to Rome to defend Pope Leo IV against the threat of invasion by the Saracens. In appreciation of his services, the pope acceded to the wish of the Count to return the remains of Saint Restituta to France. To return to the count's lordship, the convoy passed through Arcy. There, the soldiers laid the Chasse containing the relics of the saint. Upon departure, the Chasse became very heavy and soldiers could not put it back on the wagon. There were then two miracles: a fountain spouted and a mother passing near the shrine with her stillborn child in her arms saw her child lived and said, "Stay here, stay here". The Count left the Chasse in the chapel of Saint Martin.
A Chasse dedicated to the saint is visible in the church. It is carved wood with brass ornaments decorated in gold from the 17th century.
In 2006 ADSL service arrived at Arcy-Sainte-Restitue.
On 14 July 2008 Arcy-Sainte-Restitue was the first town in Aisne to host the fireworks brigade of Reims for an artistic performance in the Kropalm Festival.
Before the war, the small hamlet of Servenay had a small chapel which was at the centre of the hamlet a few metres from the square. The only evidence of its existence is recorded in the archives of the village.
List of Successive Mayors of Arcy-Sainte-Restitue
(Not all data is known)
Culture and heritage
The former Chateau of Branges (16th century) is registered as an historical monument.
The Church of Saint Martin (12th century) is registered as an historical monument. The Church contains many items that are registered as historical objects:
- Part of a Mural: Greenery of birds (17th century)
- A Bas-relief and a Retable from the Altar in the Chapel of the Virgin (17th century)
- A Lectern (17th century)
- 2 Consoles (18th century)
- The Panelling on the Walls (18th century)
- The Panelling on the Walls (3) (17th century)
- A Baptismal font (12th century)
- A Cross (17th century)
- A Chasse of Saint Restitue (12th century)
- Arcy-Sainte-Restitue on the old National Geographic Institute website ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Bell Towers website ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- 40,000 Bell Towers website ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Arcy-Sainte-Restitue on Lion1906
- Arcy-Sainte-Restitue on Google Maps
- Arcy-Sainte-Restitue on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Arcy Ste Refutute on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Arcy-Sainte-Restitue on the INSEE website ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- INSEE ‹See Tfd›(in French)
Notes and references
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Google Maps
- List of Mayors of France
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00115504 Chateau of Branges ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Public Laundries website Archived 2009-06-21 at the Wayback Machine
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00115505 Church of Saint Martin ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02001414 Part of a Mural: Greenery of birds ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000035 Bas-relief and a Retable from the Altar in the Chapel of the Virgin ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000034 Lectern ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000033 2 Consoles ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000032 Panelling on the Walls ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000031 Panelling on the Walls (3) ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000030 Baptismal font ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000029 Cross ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000028 Chasse of Saint Restitue ‹See Tfd›(in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arcy-Sainte-Restitue.|