Baschurch railway station
Bascurch station in 1962
|Original company||Shrewsbury, Oswestry and Chester Junction Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|12 October 1848||Station opens|
|12 September 1960||Closed to passengers|
|5 July 1965||Closed to goods|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Baschurch railway station was a minor station located about ten miles north of Shrewsbury on the GWR’s Paddington to Birkenhead main line. Today this is part of the Shrewsbury to Chester line. The station building (now a private house) can be seen on the west side of the line adjacent Baschurch level crossing; it was designed by Thomas Mainwaring Penson.
Express train did not call at Baschurch, only local services.
Although the station was closed the line has continued in use for through trains.
Accidents and incidents
- On 13 February 1961, an express passenger train was in collision with a freight train that was being shunted at the station. The accident was due to a signalman's error. Three people were killed and two were injured.
Campaign for reopening
In September 2009, a local group was formed to campaign for the station to be reopened. An initial public meeting was attended by 250 people, and Arriva Trains Wales the franchise operator for the line agreed to re-examine the feasibility of trains stopping at Baschurch.
As of October 2011 the campaign continues, with the commissioning of new research into the feasibility of the reopening proposal. Funding for the study was declined by Shropshire Council, but now campaigners are to fund it themselves.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Oldwoods Halt||Great Western Railway
Shrewsbury to Chester Line
- Clinker, C.R., (1978) Clinker’s Register of Closed Stations, Avon Anglia ISBN 0-905466-19-5
- Newman, John; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2006), Shropshire, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p. 134, ISBN 0-300-12083-4
- 1956, Official Handbook of Stations, British Transport Commission
- Earnshaw, Alan (1991). Trains in Trouble: Vol. 7. Penryn: Atlantic Books. p. 39. ISBN 0-906899-50-8.
- Writtle, Joanne (2009). "Villagers' plea to reopen station". BBC Midlands Today.
- Garvin, Jo (2009). "New life for railway station?". BBC News, Shropshire.
- Shropshire Star Baschurch rail campaigners to pay for expert study (21 October 2011)
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2010). Shrewsbury to Chester. Middleton Press. figs. 15-20. ISBN 9781906008703. OCLC 495274299.