Beauty and the Baker
|Beauty and the Baker|
|Created by||Assi Azar|
|Directed by||Oded Ruskin|
|Country of origin||Israel|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||30|
|Running time||30-32 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Endemol Israel for Keshet Broadcasting|
|Original network||Channel 2|
|Original release||November 23, 2013- present|
|Related shows||The Baker & The Beauty (US adaptation)|
Beauty and the Baker (Hebrew: להיות איתה Translit.: Lehiyot Ita Translated: "Being with Her") is an Israeli romantic-comedy series that follows the impossible love story between a simple baker and an international supermodel. It ranks as one of the highest-rated scripted series ever in Israel. The second season premiered on May 9, 2017.
The series was created by Assi Azar, who had Bar Refaeli in mind for the lead role. Rotem Sela took the role when Refaeli pulled out. The series takes a comical approach to Jewish ethnic divisions in Israel by exploring the relationship between a privileged Ashkenazi woman and her working-class Yemenite love interest.
After being broadcast on Channel 2, the first two seasons are now available on Netflix Israel. Internationally the series is available on Amazon Prime Video and on the Channel 4 streaming service Walter Presents in the United Kingdom.
The worlds of the blonde model and heiress Noa Hollander (Sela) and the baker Amos Dahari (Alush) collide when they meet on a night out in Tel Aviv. They face challenges to stay together as Noa's ruthless agent Tzvika (Ivanir) and Amos' ex-girlfriend Vanessa (Saada) conspire to break up the couple.
- Aviv Alush as Amos Dahari, a Yemenite baker from Bat-Yam.
- Rotem Sela as Noa Hollander, an international supermodel and heiress from Tel Aviv
- Mark Ivanir as Tzvika Granot, Noa's ruthless agent.
- Hila Saada as Vanessa Maimon, Amos's jealous ex-girlfriend.
- Dar Zuzovsky as Eden/Daniela, Noa's father’s assistant (seasons 2-3)
- Ofer Hayoun as Assaf Dahari, Amos's brother and aspiring pop singer.
- Nava Medina as Amalia Dahari, Amos's attentive mother
- Shani Aviv as Merav Dahari, Amos's teen sister that comes out as a Lesbian to some of her family.
- Uri Gavriel as Avi Dahari, Amos's easily irritated father
- Yaffa Levi as Shosh, Amalia's best friend and neighbor
- Jason Lewis as Pete Evans, a Hollywood actor and Noa's ex-boyfriend
The series has been well-received by critics. Haaretz newspaper described it as "a great series" and that the "secret of the charm lies in the genre. For years the Israeli comedy drama has insisted on reinventing the wheel each time (or copying someone else’s wheel. Perhaps the most popular and ancient genre (from “Daphnis and Chloe” to “The Taming of the Shrew,” not to mention “When Harry Met Sally”), it’s the genre most lacking in Israeli culture throughout the generations." In the United Kingdom where the series is broadcast on Channel 4, The Daily Telegraph praised the series, writing that "aside from being a hugely entertaining, frivolous romantic comedy on the surface, the show has a grittier side which will appeal to a British audience." Walter Iuzzolino acquired the series for Walter Presents, a Channel 4 streaming service of foreign language TV drama and comedy. Iuzzolino spoke about the series to The Jewish Chronicle, "On the one hand, it's a shamelessly commercial piece, with all the classic ingredients of a typical love story. However, I think there's an honesty about it which really resonated with me. The underlying themes are sophisticated, particularly regarding the notion of family. She [Noa] lives in a vacuum of no relations and he lives surrounded by these noisy Sicilian types who I love! To me, it painted the portrait of a community and bonds that are really lovely. I think it gives the series a lot of [weight]."
English subtitled version
An English subtitled version was released online on the Channel 4 website. On June 20, 2017 Amazon acquired global rights of the first two seasons of the show and will stream them worldwide on Amazon Prime Video.
In November 2018, it was announced that an adaptation of the series was being developed by Dean Georgaris and David Frankel through Keshet Studios and Universal Television for ABC. Georgaris and Frankel are set to write and direct, respectively, and both will executive produce alongside Avi Nir, Alon Shtruzman, Peter Traugott, and Rachel Kaplan. In January 2019 ABC ordered the adaptation to pilot. On 11 May 2019, ABC ordered the American titled The Baker & The Beauty to series for the 2019-2020 television season.
- ‘Baker And The Beauty’ Romantic Comedy Based On Israeli Format Set At ABC From Dean Georgaris, David Frankel & Keshet Deadline. 18 October 2018
- Can Bar Refaeli quash the feud with her Eurovision co-host? The Jerusalem Post. 5 February 2019
- Why you'll be glued to The Beauty and the Baker, Channel 4's new Israeli drama The Daily Telegraph. 18 August 2016
- 'Big Brother' Co-host Pens Israeli Romantic Comedy - and Scores Haaretz. 2 January 2013
- Israeli recipe for a love story The Jewish Chronicle. 18 August 2016
- "Beauty and the Baker - On Demand - All 4". www.channel4.com. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- Keslassy, Elsa (20 June 2017). "Amazon Nabs Global Rights to Keshet Hit Show 'The Baker and the Beauty'". Variety. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 18, 2018). "'Baker And The Beauty' Romantic Comedy Based On Israeli Format Set At ABC From Dean Georgaris, David Frankel & Keshet". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- ABC Orders Pilot for Drama ‘The Baker and The Beauty’ Based on Israeli Series Variety. 28 January 2019
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (May 11, 2019). "'The Baker And The Beauty' Gets ABC Series Order As Dean Georgaris Scores Double". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 11, 2019.