Bellambi, New South Wales
Wollongong, New South Wales
|Population||3,947 (2016 census)|
|LGA(s)||City of Wollongong|
Bellambi lies on the flat northern Illawarra coastal plain, with views of the escarpment to the west, one of note being Broker's Nose, 440 metres high. To the east is Bellambi Beach and a creek inlet in a reserve, and to the south of the inlet is Bellambi Harbour and Bellambi Point.
The original jetty was constructed in 1858. On August 28, 1862, a telegraph line was constructed between Wollongong and Bellambi. In 1863 a second jetty was built at the harbour. In 1887 a new jetty was constructed at Bellambi Bay. In 1927 the Bellambi Mines Rescue Station was established. The public school was opened in 1956. In 1965 the rock pool was under construction.
At Bellambi Point is Bellambi Lagoon Reserve, a protected reserve area in which are the lagoon and small islands of that name, mostly forested in swamp oaks (casuarina), coastal sclerophyll and saltmarsh. A small hill rises to about ten metres and has recently been fenced off due to erosion. This was a site of sand mining for some time. The site contains dune and wetland vegetation communities, a number of rare plant species and is an important habitat with more than 50 bird species using the site including a pair of White Breasted Sea Eagles. There is also significant Indigenous heritage in the area with numerous middens on the site. There has been an active Bushcare group at the site since 2003. The Tinelt name is synonymous in the area with local customs and building a sense of community is heavily emphasised.
According to the 2016 census of Population, there were 3,947 people in Bellambi .
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people made up 7.9% of the population.
- 74.5% of people were born in Australia. The next most common country of birth was England at 4.3%.
- 84.5% of people only spoke English at home.
- The most common responses for religion were No Religion 31.2%, Catholic 23.2% and Anglican 18.7%.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Bellambi (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- "South Coast Line". www.nswrail.net. Retrieved 2006-11-29.
- Corrimal History Archived September 19, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- Environment Fund - Bellambi Lagoon Archived August 30, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.