Berlin Township, Wayne County, Pennsylvania
Wayne County, Pennsylvania
|Township of Berlin|
Beach Lake post office
Location in Wayne County and the state of Pennsylvania.
|US Congressional District||PA-10|
|State Senatorial District||20|
|State House of Representatives District||139|
|School District||Wayne Highlands
|Incorporated||November 28, 1826|
|Named for||Berlin, Germany|
|• Type||Board of Supervisors|
|• Board of Supervisors|
|• US Representative||Tom Marino (R)|
|• State Senator||Lisa Baker (R)|
|• State Representative||Michael Peifer (R)|
|• Total||39.6 sq mi (103 km2)|
|• Land||38.5 sq mi (99.7 km2)|
|• Water||1.1 sq mi (2.8 km2)|
|Elevation||1,211 ft (369.1 m)|
|• Density||66.9/sq mi (25/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern Daylight (EDT) (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1217213|
|Website||Berlin Township Tax Collector|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 39.6 square miles (103 km2), 38.5 square miles (100 km2) of which is land and 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2) (2.78%) of which is water.
The following villages are located in Berlin Township:
- Beach Lake (also called Beech Pond)
- Berlin Center (also called Berlin Centre)
- East Berlin
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,578 people and 712 families residing in the township. The population density was 66.9 inhabitants per square mile (25.8/km2). There were 1,234 housing units at an average density of 32.1 per square mile (12.4/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 97.5% White, 0.6% Black or African American, 0.1% American Indian or Alaska Native, 0.7% Asian. 0.2% of the township's inhabitants classified themselves as being from other races, and 0.9% identified as two or more races. Hispanics and Latinos of any race made up 2.4% of the population.
There were 1,002 households, 57.9% of which were heterosexual married couples living together (Pennsylvania did not start performing same-sex marriages until May 20, 2014), and 29.9% of which had children under the age of 18 living with them. % had a male householder with no wife present, while 8.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.9% of households were non-families. 23.6% of all households were made up of individuals, 10.8% of which consisted of an individual 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.00.
The township's population was relatively age-diverse, with 23.1% of residents under the age of 18, 60.5% aged 18 to 64, and 16.4% aged 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42.8 years.
The median income for a household in the township was $54,844, and the median income for a family was $65,375. The median income for male full-time, year-round workers was $50,902, while similar females had a median income of $28,203. The per capita income for the township was $27,739. About 7% of families and 10.4% of the population were below the poverty threshold, including 27.8% of those under age 18 and 2.2% of those ages 65 or over.
- Goodrich, Phineas G. (1992) . History of Wayne County. Baltimore: Gateway Press, Inc.
- "Municipal Index" (PDF). Wayne County Planning Commission/GIS. WordPress. 2011. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Township of Berlin". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 1 December 1989. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- U.S. Census Bureau. Census 2000. "Census Demographic Profiles, Berlin Township" (PDF). CenStats Databases. Retrieved 14 December 2014.[dead link]
- "BERLIN: SECOND CLASS TOWNSHIP MAP" (PDF). Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. 23 September 2013. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Beach Lake". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 2 August 1979. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- White, Israel Charles; Dolph, John M. (1881). The Geology of Susquehanna County and Wayne County (Report). 23. Board of Commissioners for the Second Geological Survey of Pennsylvania. p. 5. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Berlin Center". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 2 August 1979. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Matthews, Alfred (1886). History of Wayne, Pike, and Monroe Counties, Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: R. T. Peck & Company. p. 521. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Bethel". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 2 August 1979. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "East Berlin". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 2 August 1979. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Laurella". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 2 August 1979. Retrieved 21 November 2014.