Bibliography of Jehovah's Witnesses
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Part of a series on|
|Watch Tower presidents|
|Notable former members|
- Bergman, Jerry (1984). Jehovah's Witnesses and kindred groups. New York: Garland Pub. ISBN 9780824091095.
- Chryssides, George D. (2009). The A to Z of Jehovah's Witnesses. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press. ISBN 9780810868915.
- Gruss, Edmond C. (2001). Jehovah's Witnesses : their claims, doctrinal changes, and prophetic speculation : what does the record show?. Fairfax, VA: Xulon Press. ISBN 9781931232302.
- Chryssides, George D. Historical Dictionary of Jehovah's Witnesses (2008)
- Crompton, Robert. Counting the Days to Armageddon. James Clarke & Co, Cambridge, 1996. ISBN 0-227-67939-3
- A detailed examination of the development of Jehovah's Witnesses' eschatology.
- Holden, Andrew. Jehovah's Witnesses: Portrait of a Contemporary Religious Movement New York: Routledge, 2002, ISBN 0415266092
- An academic study on the sociological aspects of Jehovah's Witnesses phenomenon.
- Kaplan, William. State and Salvation Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1989. ISBN 0-8020-5842-6
- Documents the Witnesses' fight for civil rights in Canada and the USA amid political persecution during World War II.
- Rogerson, Alan (1969). Millions now living will never die: a study of Jehovah's Witnesses. Constable.
- Detailed history of the Watch Tower movement, particularly its early years, a summary of Witness doctrines and the organizational and personal framework in which Witnesses conduct their lives.
- Schulz, B. W. (2014). A Separate Identity: Organizational Identity Among Readers of Zion's Watch Tower: 1870-1887. ISBN 978-1304969408.
- Detailed history of the Watch Tower movement's earliest years written to an academic standard. It is based on fresh research into original documents. This is volume one of a two volume work.
- Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. Jehovah's Witnesses—Proclaimers of God's Kingdom (1993)
- Official history of Jehovah's Witnesses.
- Whalen, William J. Armageddon Around the Corner: a report on Jehovah's Witnesses (1962) OCLC Number: 1261733
- Wills, Tony. A People for His Name: A History of Jehovah's Witnesses and an Evaluation (2006) 2nd edition. ISBN 978-1-4303-0100-4.
Critiques and personal accounts
- Answering Jehovah's Witnesses by Jason Evert
- Answering Jehovas Witnesses: Subject by Subject by David A. Reed
- Franz, Raymond. In Search of Christian Freedom. 2nd ed., 2007. ISBN 0-914675-17-6
- Critique and analysis
- Harrison, Barbara Grizzuti. Visions of Glory: A History and a Memory of Jehovah's Witnesses. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1978. ISBN 0-7091-8013-6
- An account by an American journalist and essayist of growing up in the Jehovah's Witnesses religion, which she left at age 22.
- Macmillan, Alexander H. Faith on the March.
- An autobiography by a longtime director of the Watch Tower Society who was among the Watch Tower officials imprisoned during the First World War.
- Penton, M. James. Apocalypse Delayed: The Story of Jehovah's Witnesses. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2nd ed., 1997. ISBN 0-8020-7973-3
- Scholarly examination of Jehovah's Witnesses history and doctrines
- Schnell, William J. Jehovah's Witnesses' Errors Exposed. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Book House, [ca. 1980], cop. 1959. N.B.: First published in 1959 under title: Into the Light of Christianity. ISBN 0-8010-8074-6
- Schnell, William J. 30 Years a Watchtower Slave. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker Books, 1956, 1971, reprinted 2001. ISBN 0-8010-6384-1
- One of the first book-length critiques of the organization to be written by a disaffected former Witness
- An Alarming Situation for Jehovah's Witnesses, by Ted Denscher. Christian Literature Crusade, 1974. Objections to teachings of the Wintesses, written by a former member. Without ISBN
- Apostles of Denial by Edmond C. Gruss. ISBN 978-0-87552-305-7.
- Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz. Commentary Press. 420 pages. Hardback ISBN 0-914675-24-9. Paperback ISBN 0-914675-23-0. 4th edition (June 2002)
- Franz was a former Jehovah's Witness who was a member of the Governing Body of the Watch Tower Society for nine years, and nephew of the fourth president of the Watchtower Society. This book gives a detailed account of the authority structure, practices, doctrines and decision-making practices Franz experienced while serving on the Governing Body. It is a major critique of the organization. Sample chapters online: 1, 9, 10, 11, 12.
- The Gentile Times Reconsidered: Chronology & Christ's Return by Carl O. Jonsson.
- Jonsson considers the origin of the belief that the Gentile Times began in 607 B.C. and examines several lines of evidence and the methodology for deriving it. ISBN 0-914675-06-0 Publisher: Commentary Press (July, 1998, Fourth edition 2004)
- I Was Raised a Jehovah's Witness by Joe Hewitt. 1997. Kregel Publications ISBN 0-8254-2876-9
- Hewitt gives an account of his life as a Jehovah's Witness and his subsequent decision to leave the Jehovah's Witness movement. Read selections from: I Was Raised a Jehovah's Witness
- Jehovah Himself Has Become King by Robert King. ISBN 978-1-4208-5498-5 / Publisher: AuthorHouse (September 14, 2005, First Edition)
- The author considers himself one of Jehovah's Witnesses but was excommunicated after publishing his review and criticisms of current Watchtower interpretations related to Bible prophecy, and documentation regarding the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society's involvement with the United Nations.
- Jehovah's Witnesses Defended and Three Dissertations, both by Greg Stafford.
- The author considers himself one of Jehovah's Witnesses but has renounced affiliation with the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society. These books review and thoroughly explore some of the most prevalent criticisms made about Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society.
- Botting, Heather; Botting, Gary (1984). The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. ISBN 0-8020-6545-7.
- Both authors were raised Jehovah's Witnesses and are trained scholars. The book is based on a doctoral dissertation by Heather Botting.
- 30 Years a Watchtower Slave: The Confessions of a Converted Jehovah's Witness by William J. Schnell. ISBN 978-0-8010-6384-8
- The Truth Book: Escaping a Childhood of Abuse Among Jehovah's Witnesses by Joy Castro
- adopted as a baby and raised by a devout Jehovah's Witness family. Read selections from: The Truth Book: Escaping a Childhood of Abuse Among Jehovah's Witnesses Published 2005 Arcade Publishing, ISBN 1-55970-787-9
- Witnesses of Jehovah by Leonard & Marjorie Chretien. ISBN 978-0-89081-587-8.
- Wolves Among Sheep by James Kostelniuk. Harpercollins ISBN 978-0-00-639107-4
Persecution in Nazi Germany
For more details on this topic, see Persecution of Jehovah's Witnesses in Nazi Germany.
- Garbe, Detlef (2008). Between Resistance and Martyrdom: Jehovah's Witnesses in the Third Reich. Madison, Wisconsin: University of Wisconsin Press. ISBN 0-299-20794-3.
- King, Christine Elizabeth (1983), The Nazi State and the New Religions: Five Case Studies in Non-Conformity. ISBN 0-889-468656
- Penton, James (2004). Jehovah's Witnesses and the Third Reich: Sectarian Politics Under Persecution. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. ISBN 0-8020-8678-0.
- Bergman, Jerry (1999). Jehovah's Witnesses : a comprehensive and selectively annotated bibliography (1. publ ed.). Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press. ISBN 9780313305108.
- Chryssides, George D. (2009). The A to Z of Jehovah's Witnesses. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press. pp. 145–168. ISBN 9780810868915.
- Gruss, Edmond C. (2001). "Selected bibliography". Jehovah's Witnesses : their claims, doctrinal changes, and prophetic speculation : what does the record show?. Fairfax, VA: Xulon Press. p. 357. ISBN 9781931232302.