(Redirected from Birlinn Limited)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Country of origin||Scotland|
NewSouth Books (Australia)
Independent Publishers Group (US)
Casemate (US military books)
Birlinn Limited is composed of a number of imprints, including:
- Birlinn, which publishes Scottish interest books, from biography to history, military history and Scottish Gaelic. (Its name comes from the old Norse word birlinn, meaning a long boat or small galley with 12 to 18 oars, used especially in the Hebrides and West Highlands of Scotland in the Middle Ages.)
- Polygon Books, which publishes literary fiction and poetry, both classic and modern, from Scottish writers such as Robin Jenkins, George Mackay Brown, and the author of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Alexander McCall Smith. It was founded in the late 1960s by students of the University of Edinburgh.
- Mercat Press, founded in 1970 and acquired by Birlinn in 2007, which publishes walking and climbing guides. (Mercat is the Scots language word for "market" or "trade".)
- John Donald, publishing academic books about Scotland.
- Martin C. Strong
- The Great Folk Discography, Vol. 1: Pioneers & Early Legends (2010)
- The Great Folk Discography, Vol. 2: The Next Generation (2011)
|This article about a company of Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a media company in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|