Black or White (film)
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (December 2015)|
|Black or White|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Mike Binder|
|Produced by||Kevin Costner
|Written by||Mike Binder|
|Music by||Terence Blanchard|
|Cinematography||Russ T. Alsobrook|
|Edited by||Roger Nygard|
|Distributed by||Relativity Media
|Box office||$21.7 million|
Black or White is a 2014 American drama film directed and written by Mike Binder. The film stars Kevin Costner, Octavia Spencer, Gillian Jacobs, Jennifer Ehle, Anthony Mackie and Bill Burr. The film premiered at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival and was released in the United States on January 30, 2015.
Elliot Anderson (Kevin Costner) is widowed after a car crash leads to the death of his wife. Elliot has raised his granddaughter Eloise As he struggles with his grief, Elliot's world is turned upside-down when the child's black grandmother, Rowena (Octavia Spencer), demands that Eloise be brought under the care of her father, Rowena's son, Reggie (Andre Holland), a drug addict whom Elliot blames for the negligence that led to the death of his own daughter. Elliot finds himself deeply entrenched in a custody battle and will stop at nothing to keep his granddaughter from coming under the watch of her reckless father.
- Kevin Costner as Elliot Anderson
- Octavia Spencer as Rowena Jeffers
- Jillian Estell as Eloise Anderson
- Bill Burr as Rick Reynolds
- Mpho Koaho as Duvan Araga
- Anthony Mackie as Jeremiah Jeffers
- Andre Holland as Reggie Davis
- Gillian Jacobs as Fay
- Jennifer Ehle as Carol
- Paula Newsome as Judge Cummins
- Indigo as Young Nurse
- Lindsey G. Smith as Andrea
- Janeline Hayes as Dondi
- Lloyd Dillon as Rex
- Ireyon Johnson as Kristen
- Ernest Wells as Victor
- Nagelle LeBoyd as Rowena's niece
Relativity planned to release the film in time to qualify for the Oscar race, starting with a limited release on December 3, 2014 then opening wide on January 30, 2015. The limited release was scrapped, however, in favor of an immediate wide release.
Black or White was released on Blu-ray and DVD on May 5, 2015.
Black or White grossed $21.6 million in North America against a budget of $9 million.
In its opening weekend of January 30, 2015, the film made a gross of $2.3 million on Friday, $3 million on Saturday, and $986,312 on Sunday for a weekend total of $6.2 million, playing in 1,823 with a per-theater average of $3,408 and ranking #4.
Black or White received mixed reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a 39% rating, based on 87 reviews, with an average rating of 5.3/10. The website's consensus reads: "Black or White has more on its mind than your average family drama, but the film's approach to its thought-provoking themes too often lives down to its title." On Metacritic, the film has a score of 45 out of 100, based on 30 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". According to CinemaScore, audiences gave the film an average grade of "A−" on an A+ to F scale.
- Hinds, Julie (December 9, 2014). "Costner-led 'Black or White' gets local release date". Detroit Free Press.
- "Black or White (2015)". Box Office Mojo. IMDB. Retrieved May 9, 2015.
- "Kevin Costner Signs on for Black and White". movieweb.com. 29 April 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "Octavia Spencer Will Battle Kevin Costner For Custody In Drama 'Black And White'". indiewire.com. 8 May 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "Kevin Costner-Mike Binder Drama ‘Black And White’ Adds Jennifer Ehle, Andre Holland & Bill Burr". deadline.com. 12 July 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "'Community' Star Gillian Jacobs Joins Kevin Costner in 'Black and White'". hollywoodreporter.com. 17 July 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Siegel, Tatiana (September 25, 2014). "Toronto: Open Road in Talks to Acquire Kevin Costner, Octavia Spencer's 'Black and White'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (October 17, 2014). "Relativity Buys Kevin Costner-Starrer ‘Black Or White’". deadline.com. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- "Kevin Costner’s ‘Black and White’ Ready to Start Shooting". mxdwn.com. 12 July 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "'Black and White,' starring Kevin Costner and Octavia Spencer, begins production in New Orleans". nola.com. 15 July 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "Kevin Costner, Octavia Spencer & Andre Holland shooting ‘Black and White’ in New Orleans". onlocationvacations.com. 23 July 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- Austin Siegemund-Broka. "Kevin Costner-Octavia Spencer Drama 'Black and White' Gets Oscar-Qualifying Run". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- "Black or White". Dvdsreleasedates.com. 2015.
- "Black or White daily gross". boxofficemojo.com. IMDB. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "Black or White". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved June 8, 2015.
- "Black or White Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "CinemaScore". CinemaScore. Retrieved 2015-07-15.