Blackpool Victoria Hospital
|Blackpool Victoria Hospital|
|Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust|
|Location||Blackpool, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||NHS / Private|
|Type||District General / Pre-Trauma Centre Stabilisation|
|Affiliated university||University of Liverpool|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
Blackpool Victoria Hospital, known locally as "The Vic", is the main hospital for Blackpool and the Fylde Coast in Lancashire, England. The hospital is managed by the Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
The hospital was originally located on Whitegate Drive and was opened as the Blackpool Hospital in 1894. It became the Blackpool Victoria Hospital by consent of Queen Victoria when it was enlarged in 1898.
The foundation stone of a new building on East Park Drive was laid by the Earl of Derby on 9 June 1933. The new hospital opened there in 1936 and then joined the National Health Service in 1948.
The hospital has been shown in a major BBC One documentary, Blackpool Medics: 10 Days in May which featured the work of the hospital and the North West Ambulance Service. The second series was broadcast in January 2008.
On 25 July 2010, a nurse named Jane Clough was stabbed to death in the hospital car park. Her ex-boyfriend Jonathan Vass, an ambulance technician, was later found guilty of her murder.
The hospital departments include Accident and Emergency, the Macmillan Cancer Suite, Maternity and Gynae, a cardiac unit and intensive care. The Lancashire Cardiac Centre is situated at the hospital; the unit provides specialist Cardiology and Cardiothoracic surgery services for Lancashire and Cumbria.
- "History of Blackpool". Retrieved 16 April 2008.
- "Blackpool Guide". 1934. Retrieved 6 October 2018.
- "Victoria Hospital, Blackpool". National Archives. Retrieved 6 October 2018.
- "Blackpool Medics". Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre Hospitals. Archived from the original on 4 October 2008. Retrieved 16 April 2008.
- "Jane Clough's Family in Court Demo over 'Freed Killer'", BBC News, 14 October 2010, retrieved 22 April 2011
- "Cardiac Care Facilities". Downing Street. Archived from the original on 10 April 2008. Retrieved 16 April 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.|