Georgiev in 2013
|Full name||Blagoy Zhorev Georgiev|
|Date of birth||21 December 1981|
|Place of birth||Sofia, Bulgaria|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Attacking midfielder|
|2006||→ Deportivo Alavés (loan)||10||(0)|
|2006–2007||→ Red Star Belgrade (loan)||20||(2)|
|2007–2008||→ MSV Duisburg (loan)||31||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 April 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 10 October 2011
Georgiev was born in Sofia. He is a product of the Slavia Sofia youth academy. He signed a professional contract in June 1999 and then made his first team debut under Miroslav Mironov' management three months later, on 17 October, in a 3–1 home win over Pirin Blagoevgrad. Georgiev's first goal came on 27 November 1999, when he scored a last-minute against Beroe Stara Zagora to secure a 1–1 away draw. On 11 March 2000, he netted Slavia's only goal in their league loss, a 2–1 defeat against Velbazhd Kyustendil. He then scored in Slavia's 3–2 win against Botev Plovdiv on 22 April, taking his tally for the season to 3 goals.
On 27 September 2003, Blago scored his first-ever hat-trick in his career, scoring four in a 5–2 away win over Chernomorets Burgas. After scoring his 17th league goal in the final game of the 2003–04 season, a 2–0 win against Naftex Burgas, he ended the campaign in joint second place with Stoyko Sakaliev in the race for the Bulgarian A PFG golden boot.
During his six years at Slavia Stadium, he scored 46 league goals in 172 matches.
On 13 January 2006, Deportivo Alavés confirmed Georgiev has joined on loan until the end of the season. He made his La Liga debut a week later, during Alaves's 2–0 loss against Barcelona at Camp Nou. He spent most of his time with Alaves on the bench. Blago returned to Bulgaria at the end of the season having made 10 appearances in Alaves's unsuccessful battle against relegation.
Red Star (loan)
On 28 May 2007, Georgiev joined Bundesliga side MSV Duisburg on loan until the end of the 2007–08 season. On 14 March 2008, he scored his first goal in a 2–1 loss against Schalke 04. On 4 May Blago scored a last-minute winning goal for 3–2 over Bayer 04 Leverkusen. During the season, he earned 31 appearances.
On 6 January 2009, Georgiev signed a four-year contract with Russian side Terek Grozny for 1.5 million Euros. He made his Russian Premier League debut on the opening day of the 2009 season, on 15 March, in a 1–0 home win over Spartak Nalchik. Georgiev's first goal came on 19 July, when he scored in a 3–2 home win against Zenit Saint Petersburg.
On the eve of the 2010 season, Georgiev was selected by manager Anatoly Baidachny, as the replacement captain after Timur Dzhabrailov's retirement. On 10 May 2010, he scored the opening goal of the league game against CSKA Moscow which Terek lost 1–4. Three days later, Blago provided two assists in a 2–0 home victory over Saturn Ramenskoye.
Georgiev scored his first league goal of the 2011 season and the winner against Anzhi Makhachkala, in a 1–0 victory on 20 May. On 13 August, he scored his second goal of the season, in a 6–2 defeat at Dynamo Moscow. On 5 November, in a 2–0 home victory over Krasnodar, Blago assisted Musawengosi Mguni for the second goal. On 28 December 2011, few days after his 30th birthday, he was reported to have become a target for Lokomotiv Moscow.
On 15 August 2014, Georgiev joined Rubin Kazan, signing a two-year deal. Following his transfer he took the number 77 shirt. He made his debut two days later, playing the full 90 minutes in a 1–1 home draw against Lokomotiv Moscow. His first league goal for Rubin gave them a 2–1 win over Torpedo Moscow on 29 September.
All stats correct as of 5 March 2017.
|Red Star Belgrade||2006–07||20||2||?||?||6||0||26||2|
A Bulgaria international, Blagoy Georgiev was also previously a member of the country's under-21 team. He has been capped 50 times and scored 5 goals for Bulgaria. On 11 October 2011, he announced his retirement from Bulgarian national team. In September 2012, it was revealed that Georgiev may consider returning to the national team, but he is yet to add to his 50 caps for the "lions".
|1.||8 February 2007||Nicosia, Cyprus||Cyprus||0–3||0–3||Friendly|
|2.||14 November 2007||Celje, Slovenia||Slovenia||0–3||0–3||UEFA Euro 2008 Qual.|
|3.||6 September 2008||Podgorica, Montenegro||Montenegro||2–2||2–2||World Cup 2010 Qual.|
|4.||19 November 2008||Beograd, Serbia||Serbia||6–1||6–1||Friendly|
|5.||18 November 2009||Ta' Qali, Malta||Malta||1–3||1–4||Friendly|
- Red Star Belgrade
Georgiev previously had a fling with singer Liana and was formerly in a long-term relationship with Hristina Vitanova (with whom he has two children). Georgiev is currently engaged to Russian dancer Esmer Omerova.
- "Българите с половин сантиметър по-високи" (in Bulgarian). 7sport.net. 1 September 2011. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Детско-юношеска школа на ПФК Славия". pfcslavia.com.
- "Благо Георгиев вече е играч на Алавес". dariknews.bg (in Bulgarian). 13 January 2006.
- "Georgiev accepts Red Star task". uefa.com. 14 June 2006.
- "Благо отиде под наем в Бундеслигата". novinar.bg (in Bulgarian). 28 May 2007.
- "Blagoi Georgiev joins Terek Grozny". russia.theoffside.com. 6 January 2009.
- "Terek 1–0 Spartak Nalchik". soccerway.com. 15 March 2009.
- "Благо Георгиев стана капитан на Терек". novsport.com (in Bulgarian). 17 January 2010.
- "Асистенции на Благо при 2:0 за Терек". 24chasa.bg (in Bulgarian). 14 May 2010.
- "Blagoy Georgiev scored in defeat for the Terek loss Dynamo Moscow". free-soccer-picks.com. 13 August 2011.
- "Терек се справи с Краснодар, Благо с асистенция". sportal.bg (in Bulgarian). 5 November 2011.
- "Благо отпразнува 30, Локо Москва го пожела". dariknews.bg (in Bulgarian). 28 December 2011.
- "Georgiev to Join Amkar in 2013". rsport.ru. 19 December 2012.
- "Благо Георгиев подписа с Рубин (Казан)". novsport.com (in Bulgarian). 15 August 2014.
- "Blagoy Georgiev Stats". fc-terek.ru (in Russian).
- "Георгиев иска при "трикольорите", преосмислил отказа си от националния". topsport.bg (in Bulgarian). 26 September 2012. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "Набожният Благо обладал Лияна в манастир, "Обаждаше ми се през 10 минути, плака, когато бебето се роди", каза Христина". topsport.bg (in Bulgarian). 17 September 2010. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "Лияна възпя Благой Георгиев, певицата отвръща на удара". topsport.bg (in Bulgarian). 16 December 2010. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "Благой Георгиев предложи брак на Есмер в Дубай". sportal.bg (in Bulgarian). 11 June 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blagoy Georgiev.|