Break My Heart (Estelle song)
|"Break My Heart"|
|Single by Estelle featuring Rick Ross|
|from the album All of Me|
|Released||26 April 2011|
|Genre||R&B, hip hop|
|Length||3:57 (album version)|
|Writer(s)||Estelle, Rick Ross, Don Cannon, Vincent Montana, Jr., John Stephens|
|Estelle singles chronology|
The lead single from her third album All of Me, "Break My Heart" is a breezy mid-tempo tune and was produced by Don Cannon and features Aston Martin Music rapper Rick Ross. Estelle released two versions of the remix, one containing Swizz Beatz, Raekwon and Wretch 32 for the UK market and a second featuring the British songstress spitting bars with Busta Rhymes and Jadakiss for the US. Estelle began her career as a rapper and she told The Boombox she had no problem returning to her rapping roots. "I started as a rapper, my first album (The 18th Day) was damn near all rap, so people know me as a rapper from home," she said. "This wasn't scary, I enjoyed rapping again. I felt like I needed to spit some bars."
Jonathan Landum from Associated Press wrote that on the album's lead single "the singer struggles with her trust issues on the midtempo, radio-friendly track." Margaret Wappler from Los Angeles Times wrote that Estelle "somehow manages to make king pimp Rick Ross sound like a romantic." Jon Dolan from Rolling Stone considered the track "gingerly hopeful" and said that "it's her kind of realness, conversational and smooth just the same."
The video was shot in Malibu, California and was directed by Iren Brown. Estelle said "The basic concept is I’m rolling up to this house and I’m having a dinner party, but I invited this guy that I’m trying to get it on with," explained the British songstress, who models a variety of chic looks. "And the entire time I’m thinking about him, but in my heart I’m doubting, maybe he’ll break my heart. I pray he doesn’t break my heart."
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||33|
- "hmvdigital UK – Break My Heart by Estelle". HMV Digital. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Break My Heart by Estelle - Sonfacts". Songfacts. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- Landrum, Jonathan (27 February 2012). "Review: Estelle Thrives With Solid 'All of Me'". Associated Press. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- Wappler, Margareth (27 February 2012). "Album review: Estelle's 'All of Me' - latimes.com". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- Dolan, Jon (28 February 2012). "All of Me | Album Reviews | Rolling Stone". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- Thank You. "Estelle | Videos - Estelle". Estellemusic.com. Archived from the original on 19 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "Top Hip-Hop and R&B Songs & Singles Charts". Billboard. 2011-07-16. Retrieved 2012-11-03.