Bruno de Carvalho
Bruno de Carvalho
Carvalho in 2017
|President of Sporting Lisbon|
23 March 2013 – 23 June 2018
|Preceded by||Luís Godinho Lopes|
|Succeeded by||Frederico Varandas|
Bruno Miguel de Azevedo Gaspar de Carvalho
8 February 1972
Lourenço Marques, Mozambique
Bruno Miguel de Azevedo Gaspar de Carvalho (born 8 February 1972) is a Portuguese businessman who was the 42nd president of sports club Sporting CP from 2013 to 2018. A controversial figure, being compared to Donald Trump, he became the first Sporting president to be dismissed by associates of the club.
Presidency of Sporting and aftermath
On 27 March 2011, Carvalho was a candidate to the presidency of Sporting CP but eventually lost the elections to Godinho Lopes. On 24 March 2013, again a candidate, Carvalho won the club elections and became the 42nd president of Sporting. Four years later, on 4 March 2017, he was re-elected with 86.13% of the votes, defeating Pedro Madeira Rodrigues, who got 9.49%, in a total of 18,755 voters, a record in the club's history.
However, in spite of several incidents throughout his mandates as well as negative results in football at the end of the 2017–18 season, including the termination of contract by nine footballers, Carvalho was dismissed as president after 71.36% of club members voted him out in a general assembly held at Altice Arena on 23 June 2018. Hours later, on 24 June, he posted a message on his Facebook page saying that he was no longer both a member and a supporter of Sporting. Nevertheless, in less than 14 hours, he withdrew the statement.
On 11 November 2018, Carvalho was detained at home for suspicion of giving permission to the violent attack by Sporting supporters on players and manager of the main football team at the club's training facilities on 15 May 2018. On 15 November, the Portuguese Public Ministry charged Carvalho with terrorism and 98 other crimes, which include aggravated threat (40), kidnapping (38), qualified offence to physical integrity (19), and possession of prohibited weapon.
- "Todo o filme da Assembleia Geral que afastou Bruno de Carvalho da presidência" [The entire film of the General Assembly that took Bruno de Carvalho away from presidency]. A Bola (in Portuguese). Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- Pitt-Brooke, Jack (1 March 2017). "The 'Donald Trump' of football: Bruno de Carvalho shows few signs of softening his grip at Sporting Lisbon". The Independent. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Bruno de Carvalho arrasado" [Bruno de Carvalho devastated] (cover). A Bola (in Portuguese). 24 June 2018. Front cover. Archived from the original on 24 June 2018. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
Tornou-se ontem o primeiro presidente destituído na história do Sporting
- "Godinho Lopes vence eleições em noite de violência" [Godinho Lopes wins elections in night of violence]. Diário de Notícias (in Portuguese). 27 March 2011. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Bruno de Carvalho 42º presidente" [Bruno de Carvalho 42nd president]. O Jogo (in Portuguese). 24 March 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2017.
- "Bruno de Carvalho vence eleições no Sporting" [Bruno de Carvalho wins elections at Sporting]. Rádio Comercial (in Portuguese). 5 March 2017. Retrieved 18 July 2017.
- "Eleições no Sporting com maior afluência da história do clube" [Sporting elections with the biggest turnout in the club's history]. Jornal de Notícias (in Portuguese). 4 March 2017. Retrieved 18 July 2017.
- "Bruno de Carvalho confirma nove rescisões" [Bruno de Carvalho confirms nine rescissions]. SAPO Desporto (in Portuguese). 14 June 2018. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- Tukayana, Rui (24 June 2018). "Whaaaaaatttt????? Como Bruno de Carvalho desmentiu Bruno de Carvalho em 14 horas" [Whaaaaaatttt????? How Bruno de Carvalho contradicted Bruno de Carvalho within 14 hours]. TSF (in Portuguese). Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Bruno de Carvalho: "Não sou mais do Sporting"" [Bruno de Carvalho: "I am no longer a Sporting fan"]. Jornal de Notícias (in Portuguese). 24 June 2018. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- Fernandes, Mariana (12 November 2012). "Bruno de Carvalho está indiciado por 56 crimes, incluindo terrorismo, sequestro e posse de arma proibida" [Bruno de Carvalho is indicted for 56 crimes, including terrorism, abduction, and possession of a prohibited weapon]. Observador (in Portuguese). Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "Bruno de Carvalho acusado de terrorismo e mais 98 crimes" [Bruno de Carvalho charged with terrorism and 98 more crimes]. Maisfutebol (in Portuguese). 16 November 2018. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
Luís Godinho Lopes
| President of Sporting CP
|This Portugal biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|