|Launched||20 February 1993|
|Owned by||Media Capital|
|Audience share||21.6% (March 2017CAEM),|
|Slogan||"Juntos, criamos a sua televisão"|
(Together, we create your television)
|Headquarters||Queluz de Baixo (Oeiras)|
|Formerly called||4 (1993-1995)|
|Sister channel(s)||TVI 24|
Televisão Independente (TVI) ("Independent Television") is Portugal's fourth terrestrial television channel, launched in 1993. It was the most watched channel in Portugal from 2005 to 2019. It competes directly with SIC and RTP1.
- 1 History
- 2 Criticism
- 3 Programs
- 4 References
- 5 External links
TVI was the second private Portuguese TV channel to be launched, SIC having been launched five months before, and the fourth channel in all. Already under the name TVI, but marketed as 4, in which the '4' was the sole element in its logo, TVI was initially owned by some prominent Catholic Church institutions, including Rádio Renascença, RFM, Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Público, Editorial Verbo and União das Misericórdias; Antena 3 Televisión (which consisted of La Vanguardia, ABC-Prensa Española, Manuel Martín Ferrand (4,3%), Rafael and Manuel Jiménez de Parga, Europa Press and Grupo Zeta), Compagnie Luxembourgeoise de Télédiffusion, (CLT, now RTL Group), Sonae, SBS Broadcasting Group and ITV contractor Yorkshire Television were minor stakeholders of TVI . This majority-Catholic ownership pushed TVI's programming in the direction of Christian values. In the first years of its existence, TVI assumed the role of an 'alternative' television broadcaster, dedicating segments of its airtime to distinct target audiences, with part of the morning dedicated to housewives and the elderly and part of the afternoon to the young. Broadcasts were initially experimental, before upgrading to regular status in October the same year.
During this period, TVI was known for its American series and movies, including X-Files and Baywatch, and most notably the Spanish show El gran juego de la oca (translated as O Jogo do Ganso) imported from Antena 3. TVI also brought in some prominent names in Portuguese television, including Manuel Luís Goucha and Artur Albarran, but the viewing figures had were always lower than expected - higher than RTP2 but lower than the top 2 channels then, SIC and RTP1 - and it entered into deep financial crisis.
TVI's recovery happened when it was totally acquired by Media Capital in 1999, one of the most important media conglomerates in Portugal, whereupon it started broadcasting more Portuguese-produced programs, including soap operas. This helped to increase its audience significantly, but it was in September 2000, when Big Brother started, that the channel gained a boost in popularity. The once 3rd-ranked (by 2000) TVI went on to surpass RTP1 for second place in 2001 and four years later, defeated SIC to take first place, which it maintained for 14 consecutive years before losing it once more to SIC in 2019.
Currently, TVI is known for having a large number of national reality shows and soap operas. It broadcasts a mix of local productions, such as soap operas, family series and reality shows, news programs and international movies and series (mostly American). It is currently owned by Media Capital, which is owned by Grupo Prisa. Until February 2007, Media Capital was co-owned by RTL Group and Grupo Prisa. The station works with Media Capital-owned production company Plural Entertainment to produce its national fictional content.
Like public service broadcaster RTP and unlike commercial rival SIC, which have always shown foreign programs in the original language with subtitles, TVI tried, unsuccessfully, to dub foreign programs into Portuguese after achieving marginal success with Latin American Spanish-language soap operas dubbed in Brazilian Portuguese. Experiments of dubbing included the US series Dawson's Creek and other shows directed at younger audiences.
In July 2010, TVI censored a kiss between two male characters on the youth TV series Morangos com Açúcar, due to pressure by a fundamentalist far-right organization, "National Resistance". This cut has led to a major outcry, and has been widely perceived as an occurrence of homophobia. At least 10 civil society organizations called for the reinstatement of the cut scene. As of 2015, TVI no longer censors homosexual scenes and has become an important symbol of it in Portugal.
TVI had still broadcast in 4:3 as of 2015, even though, on its early days, it received European funds to promote and broadcast in 16:9 PAL-plus. However, the network's board of directors announced in September 2015 that its channels will move to the widescreen format, starting with the premiere of Santa Bárbara on 28 September  and finalizing the move on 3 October, one day before the general elections.
Some viewers criticized the channel as it broadcasts US television series after midnight. TVI's prime time is reserved for in-house programming, mainly soap operas, viewer-participation quizzes and reality shows, in a similar manner to its direct competitor SIC.
All times are WET.
Diário da Manhã (Breaking News)
|06:30||Portuguese TV series - children's programming|
|10:00||Você na TV (You on TV) - Talk Show||10:30||Inspetor Max (Inspector Max) - Portuguese Series||Sunday Eucharist - religious programming|
|12:30||Selfie (Selfie) - magazine|
|13:00||Jornal da Uma (News at One) - afternoon newscast|
|14:30||Belmonte - Portuguese Telenovela - [reairing]
Doce Tentação - Portuguese Telenovela - [reairing]
|14:00||Conta-me Como És - magazine||Somos Portugal (We're Portugal) - entertainment|
|16:15||A Tarde é Sua (The Afternoon is Yours) - Talk Show||15:00||various U.S TV series and movies|
|19:15||Ver pra Crer - Show||Apanha se puderes - Show||Apanha se puderes - show||18:30||Apanha se Puderes - Show|
|20:00||Jornal das 8 (News at Eight) - TVI's flagship newscast|
|21:50||Valor da Vida (Value of Life)- Portuguese Telenovela||21:50||Valor da Vida (Value of Life)||" A Herdeira " - (The Inherited) - Telenovela|
|23:00||A Teia (The Web) - Portuguese Telenovela||00:00||Filmes (movies) - Show||Querido, Comprei uma Casa (Dear, I Bought a House) - Home Improvements Show|
|00:00||Filmes (Movies) - Show|
|01:00||various TV series and movies||Querido Mudei a Casa! (Honey, I've Changed Our Home!) - Home Improvements Show|
|02:15||¬ "Doce Tentação" (Sweet Temptation) - (Portuguese Telenovela)|
|05:00||TV Shop - infomercials|
Soap operas currently airing
Recently previous soap operas
- Ouro Verde - " Green Gold " - (Telenovela) 2017-2017
- A Impostora - " The Impostor " - (Telenovela) 2016-2017
- Santa Bárbara - Saint Barbara (Telenovela) 2015-2016
- A Única Mulher - The Only Woman (Telenovela) 2015-2017
- Massa Fresca - Fresh Pasta
- Diário da Manhã - Morning Diary
- Jornal da Uma - News at One
- Jornal das 8 - News at Eight
- A Tua Cara Não Me É Estranha 4 - Your Face Sounds Familiar 4
- A Tarde é Sua - The Afternoon is Yours
- Você na TV - You, on TV
- Somos Portugal - We're Portugal
Series currently airing
Movies from the following studios/distributors:
- Paramount Pictures/DreamWorks Pictures (rights co-shared with SIC)
- 20th Century Fox/Regency Enterprises (rights co-shared with RTP and SIC)
- Universal Studios/Focus Features (rights co-shared with RTP and SIC)
- DreamWorks Animation
- Taça de Portugal Placard (from 2020-2021 to 2021-2022)
- Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira Vodafone (from 2020-2021 to 2021-2022)
- UEFA Champions League
- UEFA Super Cup
- Sunday Eucharist and 8° Dia (8th Day) - Sunday Christian Catholic mass and religious show broadcast on Sundays, before the lunchtime news block.
- Cartaz das Artes (Arts' Poster) - weekly cultural agenda show, displayed in the first hours of Friday, hosted by João Paulo Sacadura.
- EuroMillions - the lottery draw that gives its name to the show, is broadcast on Tuesdays and Fridays after News at Eight.
- Esfera Pública e Escândalo Político - A Face Oculta do Poder
- "TVI cuts gay kiss". Jornal de Notícias.
- "TVI enquired for cutting gay kiss scenes". Jornal de Notícias.
- "Pedro Carvalho: "As pessoas têm a mente mais aberta do que se pensa"". Jornal de Notícias.
- "Nova novela da TVI, "O Beijo do Escorpião", inclui personagem homossexual". Dezanove.
- "TVI broadcasting "Home Alone" in PAL-plus". YouTube.
- "European Union Decision for implementing Advance Television Broadcasting Systems". European Union.
- ""Santa Bárbara" vai ser emitida em formato 16:9". Notícias TV.
- (in Portuguese) Official Site
- TVI's first moments and the first news service
- Media Capital
- Rádio Renascença
- Mega FM
- Grupo PRISA
- Genérico TVI
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to TVI-Televisão Independente.|