Burn It to the Ground
|"Burn It to the Ground"|
|Single by Nickelback|
|from the album Dark Horse|
|Released||January 29, 2009|
|Recorded||March–July 2008 at Mountain View Studios, Abbotsford, British Columbia|
|Genre||Alternative metal, stoner rock|
|Songwriter(s)||Chad Kroeger, Mike Kroeger, Joey Moi|
|Producer(s)||Robert John "Mutt" Lange, Nickelback, Joey Moi|
|Nickelback singles chronology|
|Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen – The Album track listing|
It is featured on the soundtrack for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and can be heard in the background during a party scene in the film. An instrumental version of the song was played when the Kansas City Royals' starting line-up was introduced during home games in 2009. The song was also used by the 2009 Colorado Rockies, and 2010 Baltimore Orioles as the players took the field. The song is also featured in video game NHL 10, and was used as the theme song for WWE Raw from November 16, 2009, until August 6, 2012, and was used in late 2017 for promoting Raw 25, the show's 25th anniversary episode for January 22, 2018. UFC fighter Ben Rothwell and former WWE star Carlito have both used it at their entrance music. It was also featured in Jersey Shore's second season.
The song is also the touchdown song for the NFL's Cincinnati Bengals and Dallas Cowboys, the goal song for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Peoria Rivermen and the GOJHL's LaSalle Vipers, the start of the song plays before the opening faceoff for the Chicago Blackhawks and also the entrance theme for the AHL's Abbotsford Heat and was the entrance theme of Jonny Gomes of the Cincinnati Reds. It is also played at Madison Square Garden when the New York Rangers enter the ice from the locker room at the start of the second period.
The song is also featured in the trailer for the 2010 film Date Night, it was also used for the presenter entrance for the Top Gear Live show. The song has also been used sporadically for the WHL's Kelowna Rockets and the SJHL's Flin Flon Bombers. An instrumental version of the song is used whenever the Boston Blazers have a Power Play opportunity. The song is also played in Speed Channel's ad for NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race XXVI.
Burn it to the Ground became the highest charting single of Nickelback in Finland and only the second Nickelback single to enter the Finnish Singles Chart, peaking at #7. Their first entry was How You Remind Me, which was released 8 years earlier (the song peaked at #18).
The song was featured as a playable track part of the Nickelback downloadable track pack for the video game Rock Band.
The song debuted on August 14, 2010 as the new introduction song for the Seattle Seahawks.
- "Clean Edit" - 3:29
- "Album Version" - 3:30
On this ode to getting drunk, and "burning it to the ground," frontman Chad Kroeger sings about drinking "everything in sight." The song is a Def Leppard-style arena anthem, and one that Nickelback are currently performing on their Dark Horse World Tour, where Kroeger usually begins the song by saying "this song is the theme song of my life." 
The song is well known for its repeating chugging guitar riff and its aggressive vocals. It is one of Nickelback's much heavier singles, and one of their only songs in which seven-string guitars are used.
On February 28, 2010, Nickelback performed the song at the closing ceremony of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. The performance helped the song to reach #2 on Canada's iTunes while the album reached also #2 in the top albums category almost a year and a half after its release.
The video premiered on July 10, 2009. The video features the band on stage at the O2 Arena in London performing the song. The crowd shots are a mix of all of their Dark Horse Tour shows in the United Kingdom.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||37|
|Canada Rock (Billboard)||5|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||7|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||65|
|UK Rock and Metal (Official Charts Company)||17|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||8|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||32|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||3|
|US Hot Rock Songs (Billboard)||7|
- "Nickelback: Dark Horse". Toronto Star. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "WWE "Nickelback and WWE team up for new Raw theme" | November 9, 2009". Wwe.com. 2009-11-09. Retrieved 2012-02-09.
- "Nickelback - Burn It To The Ground - 22.5.09 - MEN Arena". YouTube. 2009-05-22. Retrieved 2012-02-09.
- Nickelback Nominated For a Grammy
- "Nickelback Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Nickelback Chart History (Canada Rock)". Billboard. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Nickelback: Burn It to the Ground" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Nickelback – Burn It to the Ground". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Official Rock & Metal Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Nickelback Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Nickelback Chart History (Alternative Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Nickelback Chart History (Mainstream Rock)". Billboard. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Nickelback Chart History (Hot Rock Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved March 15, 2018.