CNN Philippines News and Current Affairs
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Name||Nine Media News and Current Affairs |
(CNN Philippines News)
|Company||Nine Media Corporation|
|Key people||Pal Marquez|
(Senior Vice President for Operations)
(President and CEO, Nine Media Corporation)
|Slogan||We Tell The Story Of The Filipino|
At the Heart of the Story
Nine Media News and Current Affairs (formerly Solar News and Current Affairs/Solar News and 9News and Current Affairs/9News) is the news and public affairs production arm and sole division of the media conglomerate Nine Media Corporation leasing the airtime of Radio Philippines Network. The division is in charge of production of local news and content of CNN Philippines. 9News ceased identifying themselves explicitly under such brand when the channel was launched on March 16, 2015.
After Solar Entertainment Corporation acquired 34 percent of Radio Philippines Network from the Philippine government as part of RPN/IBC privatization in 2011, Solar TV ventured into news at the end of 2011. On July 16, 2012, Solar News launched its first local newscasts including Solar Network News, Solar Newsday, Solar Daybreak and Solar Nightly News.
In November 2013, San Miguel Corporation President and COO Ramon S. Ang acquired a majority stake in Solar Television Network as well as its stake on RPN, The Tiengs were the majority stockholders then of STVNI. Meanwhile, on August 20, 2014, Solar Entertainment Corporation chief Wilson Tieng announced that he ceded his entire share on Solar TV Network, Inc., including its 34% majority share on RPN, to Antonio Cabangon-Chua, owner of business newspaper BusinessMirror and Aliw Broadcasting Corporation. The Tiengs were losing money after they invested in RPN and the group focused on the cable channels of the Solar Entertainment Corporation To reflect the change of ownership, and upon announcement of the rebranding of Solar News Channel into 9TV by August 23, Solar News will also rebrand into 9News, retaining its news and current affairs programming as 9TV expands its weekend programming.
9News underwent major overhaul as parent Nine Media Corporation signed a 5-year brand licensing agreement with Turner Broadcasting System to share resources with CNN to integrate the latter's content and 9News's reporting as CNN Philippines that launched on March 16, 2015. 9News ceased identifying themselves explicitly under that name with the reformat.
- CNN Philippines News Night
- CNN Philippines Newsroom
- CNN Philippines Newsroom Ngayon
- CNN Philippines Newsroom Weekend
- CNN Philippines New Day
- CNN Philippines Updates
- CNN Philippines Balitaan
- CNN Philippines Sports Desk
- CNN Philippines Sports Desk Weekend
- CNN Philippines Business Roundup
- Leading Women (produced by Go Motion Productions)
- Medtalk Health Talk
- Politics as Usual
- Story of the Filipino
- The Source
- CNN Philippines Traffic Center
- Tiengs move into news Manila Standard Today. 02-25-2011. Retrieved 02-25-2011.
- "MVP-Ang rivalry set to spill over into television with San Miguel acquisition of Solar stake". November 9, 2013. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- EXCLUSIVE | BusinessMirror owner acquires majority stake in RPN9 Archived 2014-08-22 at the Wayback Machine retrieved August 20, 2014
- Cabangon-Chua acquires RPN-9 retrieved August 21, 2014
- - Solar News Channel turns into 9TV Archived 2014-08-13 at the Wayback Machine retrieved August 13, 2014
- - Solar News to be renamed News9? (Media Newser Philippines) retrieved August 18, 2014
- - Is RPN-9 Destined to Return? retrieved August 18, 2014
- "In this episode of Med Talk/Health Talk, Doc Freddie Gomez and his guests tackle the most important yet often neglected aspect of our overall wellness — self-care. (Facebook)". March 14, 2018. Retrieved March 14, 2018.