McCaffrey, sometimes spelled Caffrey, is an Irish surname. It is found mostly in the Counties Fermanagh, Monaghan, Cavan and Tyrone in the north west of Ireland. Ballymccaffrey is a townland outside Tempo in county Fermanagh. The surname is an Anglicised form of the Gaelic names Mac Gafraidh, Mac Gofraidh, which mean "son of Gafraidh", "son of Gofraidh". The Gaelic names are forms of the Old Norse Lothbrök . Notable people with the surname include:
- Anne McCaffrey (1926–2011), science fiction author
- Billy McCaffrey (born 1971), American basketball player (brother of Ed and uncle of Christian)
- Barry McCaffrey (born 1942), military analyst, former US Army General
- Christian McCaffrey (born 1996), American football player (son of Ed)
- Ed McCaffrey (born 1968), American football player
- Francis J. McCaffrey (1917–1989), New York politician from the Bronx
- Francis J. McCaffrey, Jr. (1902–1972), New York politician and judge from Brooklyn
- Frank McCaffrey, American college football All-American player
- James McCaffrey (actor) (born 1960), American actor
- James D. McCaffrey (born 1950), software researcher
- Janice McCaffrey (born 1959), Canadian racewalker
- John McCaffrey (disambiguation), several people
- Pete McCaffrey (1938–2012), American basketball player
- Stephanie McCaffrey (born 1993), American soccer forward
- Stuart McCaffrey (born 1979), Scottish footballer
- Andrew Augustine Caffrey, United States federal judge
- Bob Caffrey (born 1962), American baseball player
- Colm Caffrey, Irish radio broadcaster
- David Caffrey, Irish film director
- Ernie Caffrey (born 1936), Irish politician
- James J. Caffrey, American Securities and Exchange Committee chairman
- Joe Caffrey, English actor
- John Caffrey (1891–1953), Irish recipient of the Victoria Cross
- John Caffrey, Gaelic footballer
- Mary Caffrey Low (1850–1926), women's education advocate
- Neal Caffrey (born 1977), White Collar television show character
- Paul Caffrey, Gaelic football manager
- Peter Caffrey (1949–2008), Irish actor
- Sean Caffrey (1940–2013), Northern Irish actor
- Stephen Caffrey (born 1975), Irish footballer
- Stephen Caffrey (born 1959), American actor
- Thomas Caffrey (1917–2010), Irish chocolatier
- John Caffery born Fermanagh County Ireland 1670. Emigrated to Virginia 1690. Member Virginia House of Burgesses. Great Grandfather of Capt. John Caffery.
- Capt. John Caffery Sheriff Bedford, Virginia. Signatory to the Cumberland Compact. Son-in-law of Col. John Donelson, member Virginia House of Burgesses; co-founder of the City of Nashville, and father-in-law of President Andrew Jackson.
- Donelson Caffery I Judge 16th JDC Louisiana. Son of Capt. John Caffery. Father of U.S. Senator Donelson Caffery II.
- Donelson Caffery II Louisiana State Senator. U.S Senator from Louisiana. Grandfather of U.S. Representative Patrick Caffery.
- Jefferson Caffery U.S.Ambassador to San Salvador, Colombia, Cuba, Brazil, France and Egypt. Assistant Secretary of State. 2nd Cousin of U.S. Senator Donelson Caffery II.
- Donelson Caffery III District Attorney 16th JDC, Louisiana. Son of Donelson Caffery II. Brother of Edward Caffery and John Caffery. Uncle of Patrick Caffery.
- John Caffery Louisiana State Senator. Son Of Donelson Caffery II. Brother of Donelson Caffery III and Edward Caffery. Uncle of U.S. Representative Patrick Caffery.
- Edward Caffery U.S. Counsel to Bucharest, Havana, San Jose, and Niagra Falls. Brother of Donelson Caffery III, John Caffery and Uncle of Patrick Caffery.
- Patrick Caffery Louisiana State Representative. U.S. Representative from Louisiana. grandson of U.S. Senator Donelson Caffery II
- Caffrey coat of arms at Araltas
|surname McCaffrey. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|