Canberra MRT Station
Canberra MRT station under construction
|Location||11 Canberra Link
|Operated by||SMRT Trains (SMRT Corporation)|
Canberra MRT Station (NS12) is a future above-ground Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station on the North South Line in Sembawang, Singapore. When completed, it will serve the housing estates located at southern Sembawang New Town and will be the nearest station to Yishun Industrial Park A.
Canberra station will be the second infill station of the MRT network; that is, to be built over an operating rail line with no disruptions to train services. It will have two opposing side platforms, being the second such elevated MRT station in Singapore after Dover station, which was also built in the middle of the East West Line. As the elevated station is being “tagged” onto an existing line, construction will be challenging as the planners have to be mindful of working hours and work spaces. During construction phase, trains will be running slower.
On 17 January 2013, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) announced that feasibility studies was being conducted to create a station between Sembawang and Yishun stations. These studies was completed during an announcement by then Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew on 27 June 2014. Shortly later on 1 August, LTA announced that construction will commence in mid-2015 and is expected to be completed in 2019.
On 27 April 2015, LTA announced that construction will start soon, with the China State Construction Engineering Corporation (Singapore) awarded the contract for $90 million. Official works began on 26 March 2016, with assurance of a more stringent work safety measures to be taken throughout the construction period. It is also announced that a 72 metre long rail crossover track will be constructed at the northern part of Canberra Station in order to connect the two existing tracks.
- "Two New Rail Lines And Three New Extensions To Expand Rail Network By 2030". Land Transport Authority. 17 January 2013. Archived from the original on 6 July 2014. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "New MRT station for North-South Line: Canberra". The Straits Times. 27 June 2014. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "New Addition to North-South Line: Canberra Station". Land Transport Authority. 1 August 2014. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Contract to build new Canberra MRT station on N-S Line awarded for $90 million". The Straits Times. 27 April 2015. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "Safety first as work starts on new Canberra MRT station on 'live' North-South Line". The Straits Times. Singapore Press Holdings. Retrieved 26 March 2016.
|This Singapore MRT-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|