Casey Sherman (born January 19, 1969) is an American author, journalist and screenwriter most famous for his 2009 novel The Finest Hours.
Life and career
As a television news producer for WBZ-TV, Sherman led a high-profile re-investigation of his aunt's murder, which he later chronicled in his 2003 book, A Rose for Mary: The Hunt for the Real Boston Strangler. Sherman's work suggests that his aunt, 19-year old Mary Sullivan, might not have been a victim of the Boston Strangler, as commonly believed. Sherman wrote The Finest Hours in 2009, co-authored with Michael J. Tougias. The book was developed into the 2016 motion picture of the same name. It was filmed in Quincy, Massachusetts and Chatham, Massachusetts for Walt Disney Pictures. The Craig Gillespie-directed film stars Chris Pine, Casey Affleck, and Eric Bana. Sherman's other books include Bad Blood, Black Irish, Black Dragon, and Boston Strong: A City's Triumph Over Tragedy. The latter, about the city's response to the Boston Marathon bombings, was adapted as a feature dramatic film, Patriots Day (2016), starring Mark Wahlberg, Nina Dobrev, Jake Picking, Candice King, Alyssa Diaz, Kat Graham, James Harvey Ward, Stephen Amell, Paul Wesley and Alex Mckenna directed by Peter Berg.
Sherman also co-wrote "The Ice Bucket Challenge (book) Pete Frates and the Fight against ALS" and 12: The Inside Story of Tom Brady's Fight for Redemption with Dave Wedge. Both books are now in development as major motion pictures, as is Sherman's 2013 true crime drama, Animal: The Bloody Rise and Fall of the Mob's Most Feared Assassin with 20th Century FOX.
in 2018, Sherman reunited with Michael J. Tougias to write the Cold War drama Above & Beyond (book) John F. Kennedy and America's Most Dangerous Spy Mission.
Sherman is represented by The Gotham Group in Los Angeles. He has appeared as a guest analyst on CNN, FOX News, NBC's Today Show, Discovery, History, Travel Channel, Dateline NBC, CBS Evening News, ABC World News Tonight, and others.
Sherman is a contributing writer for Esquire, FOX News.com, Boston Magazine, Boston Common, and The Huffington Post. In 2018 Sherman, and Dave Wedge, announced the formation of Fort Point Media, a film/TV/streaming content production company based in Boston and Los Angeles.
- A Rose for Mary: The Hunt for the Real Boston Strangler (2003)
- Black Irish (2007)
- Black Dragon (2008)
- Bad Blood: Freedom and Death in the White Mountains (2009)
- The Finest Hours: The True Story Behind the US Coast Guard's Most Daring Rescue (2009)
- Animal: The Bloody Rise and Fall of the Mob's Most Feared Assassin (2013)
- The Finest Hours (Young Readers Edition) (2014)
- The Way Back Esquire (2014)
- Boston Strong: A City's Triumph over Tragedy (2015)
- The Ice Bucket Challenge (book) Pete Frates and the Fight against ALS (2017)
- Above & Beyond (book) John F. Kennedy and America's Most Dangerous Spy Mission (2018)
- 12: The Inside Story of Tom Brady's Fight for Redemption (2018)
- Emmy Award (nominated)
- 2010 Truth & Justice Award
- 2010 Massachusetts Book of the Year finalist (for The Finest Hours)
- 2010 New Hampshire Literary Prize finalist (for "Bad Blood")
- 2014 Junior Library Guild selection (for "The Finest Hours")
- 1. Lauren Beckham Falcone, Time Spent with Finest Hours Writer Casey Sherman The Boston Herald, June 16, 2009
- 2. Laura Raposa There Will Be Bad Blood The Boston Herald, April 4, 2010
- "Hunting the Killer", Thomas Fields-Meyer People, November 27, 2000, Vol. 54, No. 22