Catching a Tiger
|Catching a Tiger|
|Studio album by Lissie|
|Released||21 June 2010|
|Length||47:10 (Standard), 54:34 (iTunes edition)|
|Producer||Jacquire King, Bill Reynolds, Julian Emery, Ed Harcourt|
|Singles from Catching A Tiger|
|The Boston Phoenix|
|News of the World|||
|The Northern Echo||(positive)|
Catching a Tiger is the debut studio album by American singer-songwriter Lissie, released in the United Kingdom on 21 June 2010 on Columbia Records. It was released in the United States on 17 August 2010 on Fat Possum Records. The album has sold over 750,000 copies worldwide and has been certified Gold in the United Kingdom and Norway.
- "In Sleep" was released as the album's lead single in April 2010 and featured as iTunes single of the week in the UK.
- "When I'm Alone" was released as the album's second single as part of the album on 21 June 2010. It is also featured in the 2014 movie Dumb & Dumber To.
- "Cuckoo" is the third single, which also contains two other tracks, a cover of Lady Gaga's song "Bad Romance" and a b-side single called "It's Not Me". The single was released on 30 August 2010.
Catching a Tiger received generally favorable reviews. Paul Cole of the Sunday Mercury writes, "Lissie’s bluesy vocal prowls around a self-penned setlist like a caged tigress waiting to pounce on its keeper. Nothing prepares you for unashamed rock-out In Sleep, then Lissie abruptly changes direction for the ethereal Bully and Americana of Martha Wainwright-like Little Lovin’. Yet Stranger is 60s pop incarnate. A stunning debut album."
In a very positive review, BBC writer Mike Diver writes "Lissie Maurus makes a man sick to his stomach. Not because she’s no good – rather the exact opposite. Catching a Tiger is a debut that dreams beyond typical new artist parameters. It is the work of a girl who looks, even with a fag hanging from her pale lips, like an alt-fashion model. But she sounds like one of the greatest female vocalists of a generation, arguably without even really trying."
News of the World gave Catching a Tiger 4 out of 5 stars, writing: "WHATEVER she tries, Illinois girl Lissie sings sexily, and a corking tune is never far away in this debut album.... All 12 songs could be singles. Catching A Tiger? She's already a roaring lioness."
Evening Standard writer Rick Pearson also gave the album 4 out of 5 stars and listed it as one of the albums of the week. In his review, Pearson raves that "Lissie's smoky tones [echo] Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks," describing the album as "brilliant."
Sammy Richman of The Independent writes in a positive review that "(Lissie's) debut album is as refreshing a slice of pop as these jaded ears have heard in years, channeling Edie Brickell one moment, Stevie Nicks the next, and Bobbie Gentry at will."
In a very positive review, Sophie Stratford of The Northern Echo praises Lissie for having "a voice which crackles with the influence of blues as much as it does with folk and a range and delivery that could put most rock singers to shame" before describing the album as "the perfect record for sunny days and driving on the highway with the wind in your hair."
|1.||"Record Collector"||Elisabeth Maurus, Craig Dodds||3:44|
|2.||"When I'm Alone"||Maurus, Jim Irvin, Julian Emery||3:41|
|3.||"In Sleep"||Maurus, Irvin, Emery||4:58|
|4.||"Bully"||Maurus, Bill Reynolds, Tyler Ramsey||3:44|
|5.||"Little Lovin'"||Maurus, Angelo Petraglia||4:29|
|6.||"Stranger"||Maurus, Reynolds, Robert Meek||3:08|
|7.||"Loosen the Knot"||Maurus, Irvin, Emery||3:30|
|8.||"Cuckoo"||Maurus, Irvin, Emery||3:37|
|9.||"Everywhere I Go"||Maurus, Curt Schneider||4:09|
|12.||"Oh Mississippi"||Maurus, Ed Harcourt||3:23|
|13.||"Needle Starts to Fall"||Maurus, Seth Kauffman, Valorie Miller, William Reynolds||3:48|
|14.||"This Much I Know"||Maurus||3:37|
Charts and certifications
- "Catching a Tiger by Lissie". Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Leahey, Andrew. Catching a Tiger at AllMusic
- "Music - Review of Lissie - Catching a Tiger". BBC. 2010-06-21. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- "CDs of the week: Eminem and Lissie - Music - Going Out - London Evening Standard". Thisislondon.co.uk. 2010-06-18. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- Simmy Richman (2010-06-20). "Album: Lissie, Catching a Tiger (Columbia) - Reviews - Music". The Independent. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100622033450/http://www.musicomh.com/albums/lissie_0610.htm. Archived from the original on 22 June 2010. Retrieved 25 June 2010. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100811065904/http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/entertainment/Music-reviews/858145/Albums-of-the-week.html. Archived from the original on 11 August 2010. Retrieved 27 June 2010. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100629233600/http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/leisure/8240367.Lissie__Catching_A_Tiger/. Archived from the original on 29 June 2010. Retrieved 27 June 2010. Missing or empty
- "Lissie: Catching a Tiger | Album Reviews". Pitchfork. 2010-08-18. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- "Lissie, 'Catching a Tiger' (Fat Possum)". SPIN. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- "LISSIE : Catching A Tiger - Birmingham Mail". Sundaymercury.net. 2010-06-20. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- "Lissie music review - Nightlife Features". TimeOutDubai.com. 2010-07-12. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- "hmv.com: music: Catching A Tiger (2010)". HMV. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- "Lissie - Catching A Tiger | Fat Possum Records". Fatpossum.com. Retrieved 2012-02-09.
- "Lissie "Back to Forever" 9/10/2013". Fatpossum.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "LISSIE: Catching A Tiger". Sunday Mercury. 20 June 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-09.
- "Music - Review of Lissie - Catching a Tiger". BBC. Retrieved 2012-02-09.
- "CDs of the week: Eminem and Lissie | Music". Thisislondon.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-09.
- Richman, Simmy (20 June 2010). "Album: Lissie, Catching a Tiger (Columbia)". The Independent. London.
- "Lissie - Chart history". Billboard. 2013-10-26. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- "media control - Startseite". Mediacontrol.de. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110724040314/http://greekcharts.com/showinterpret.asp?interpret=Lissie. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 11 July 2010. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120207123553/http://irma.ie/aucharts.asp. Archived from the original on 7 February 2012. Retrieved 5 March 2012. Missing or empty
- Steffen Hung. "Discography Lissie". norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- Steffen Hung. "Lissie". swisscharts.com. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- "Official Albums Chart Top 100 | Official Charts Company". Theofficialcharts.com. 7 August 2015. Archived from the original on 17 July 2011. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- "British album certifications – Lissie – Catching a Tiger". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Catching a Tiger in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- "Norwegian album certifications – Lissie – Catching a Tiger" (in Norwegian). IFPI Norway.