|Rabbi Chaim Kanievsky|
|Birth name||Shmaryahu Yosef Chaim Kanievsky|
January 8, 1928 |
|Parents||Rabbi Yaakov Yisrael Kanievsky
|Spouse||Batsheva Esther Kanievsky|
Rabbi Avraham Yeshayah Kanievsky,
Rabbi Shlomo Kanievsky,
Rabbi Yitzchak Shaul (Shuki) Kanievsky
Kanievsky was born in Pinsk to Rabbi Yaakov Yisrael Kanievsky (also known as the Steipler Gaon) and Rebbitzen Miriam Karelitz, sister of Rabbi Avraham Yeshayahu Karelitz (also known as the Chazon Ish). He married Batsheva Elyashiv, daughter of Rabbi Yosef Sholom Eliashiv (grandson of Rav Shlomo Elyashiv, also known as the Leshem) and granddaughter of Rav Aryeh Levin (known as the "Tzaddik of Jerusalem").
During the 1948 Israeli War of Independence, Rav Kanievsky, then a student at the Lomza Yeshiva, was conscripted for temporary army service in the general mobilization. He was assigned to stand guard on a large hill near Jaffa.
Rav Chaim's wife died in 2011. He lives in Bnei Brak and receives thousands of visitors every year from Jews seeking religious advice. Kanievsky is the official rabbi and spiritual guide for the nonprofit organization Belev Echad which was founded in Israel on 2011 and is dedicated to assist sick and disabled children and adults.
Kanievsky is the author of many works of Jewish law, such as Derech Emunoh ("The Path of Faith"), on agricultural laws, Derech Chochmoh ("The Path of Wisdom"), on the laws of the Jewish temple rites, and Shoneh Halachos (a systematic presentation of the popular work Mishnah Berurah). His halakhic rulings on prayer are recorded in Ishei Yisroel, and rulings pertaining to Shiluach haken are recorded in Shaleiach T'Shalach.
- Derech Emunoh on agricultural laws of Eretz Yisroel.Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3, Hashlama
- Derech Chochmoh on the laws of the Beis Hamikdash.
- Sha'arei Emunoh , Zeraim Vol. 1, Zeraim Vol. 2
- Shoneh Halachos a systematic presentation of the popular work Mishnah Berurah.Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3
- Shekel Hakodesh on the laws of Kidush Hachodesh.
- Orchos Yosher 
- Siach Hasadeh Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol.3
- Nachal Eisan on the laws of Eglah Arufah.
- Ta'ama D'kra 
- B'sha'ar Hamelech 
- L'mechase Atik 
- Kiryas Melech 
- Commentary on Maseches Tzitzis 
- Commentary on Maseches Avadim 
- Commentary on Maseches Kusim 
- Commentary on Maseches Geirim 
- Commentary on Perek Shira 
- Commentary on Braisa D'Meleches HaMishkan and Braisa D'Maseches Middos 
Statements and rulings
- Weinberger, Naftali; Weinberger, Naomi; Indig, Nina (2012). Scherman, Nosson; Zlotowitz, Meir, eds. Rebbetzin Kanievsky: A Legendary Mother to All (2nd ed.). Mesorah Publications. p. 24. ISBN 9781422612064. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- Ibid. p. 376