|Chase Aaron Jarvis|
July 19, 1971|
|Alma mater||San Diego State University (BA)|
|Occupation||Photographer, director, author, entrepreneur|
Chase Jarvis is an American photographer, director, artist, and entrepreneur. Since April 2014, Jarvis has been the chief executive officer of CreativeLive, an online education platform that he co-founded in 2010.
Jarvis was born in Seattle, Washington. His father was a Seattle Police Department officer, and his mother was an administrator at a biotech company. He attended San Diego State University on a football scholarship, receiving a BA in philosophy with distinction.
Initially, Jarvis planned to attend medical school after graduating from university. A few weeks before graduating, Jarvis's grandfather died and left all his photography equipment to his grandson. Jarvis subsequently went on a post-college trip through Europe and discovered a passion for photography. He is self-taught, having learned photography through experimenting and independent study. Jarvis has said of his decision not to pursue a degree in medicine, "[I] spent years of my life and 10s of thousands of dollars chasing everyone else's dream for what I was supposed to become rather than chasing my own. It was when I finally quit that path and pursued my own calling to become a photographer and an entrepreneur that I really felt alive."
In 1994, Jarvis moved to Steamboat Springs, Colorado with his girlfriend, where he began shooting photos of pro snowboarders and skiers. Jarvis licensed his first image for $500 and a pair of skis. Jarvis continued to pursue photography while studying Philosophy and Art at the University of Washington's MA/PhD program. One year before completing his Master's degree, Jarvis licensed a batch of his photos to REI that allowed him to leave academia and open his own studio, Chase Jarvis, Inc.
Since opening his own studio Jarvis has photographed for Volvo, Nike, Apple, Microsoft, General Motors, Google, Samsung, Hewlett-Packard, Columbia Sportswear, REI, Honda, Subaru, Target, Pepsi, McDonald's, and Red Bull. He is known for his kinetic style and emphasis on lifestyle, sports, and landscape photo imagery and his photography sells from anywhere between $50 to $50,000. In 2007, Chase Jarvis filed a lawsuit against K2 Sports for copyright infringement and won.
Jarvis has received endorsements from Polaroid (in conjunction with Lady Gaga) and Nikon. He helped launch the first video digital SLR camera, the Nikon D90, in 2008. Two years later, Jarvis helped launch the Nikon D7000.
On May 11, 2011 Jarvis installed Dasein: An Invitation to Hang in the lobby of the Ace Hotel in New York City, where he was the artist in residence. Over 10,000 submissions from around the world were part of Jarvis' art installation.
Awards and recognition
Jarvis is the youngest person to be named Hasselblad Master, Nikon Master, and ASMP Master. In 2008, Jarvis's Kung Fu HD series received first place in the Special Effects category at the International Photography Awards. The Best Camera app also won the Adorama Photography Award at the APPOS Awards. Jarvis has also received honors from the Prix de la Photographie de Paris, the Advertising Photographers of America, and Photo District News magazine for his work.
Jarvis published his first book, The Best Camera: Is the One That's With You, in 2009. The book celebrates images taken with cameras in mobile phones, particularly iPhones, and Jarvis released an iPhone app called Best Camera in conjunction with the book.
In 2010, Jarvis released his second book, Seattle 100, which is a collection of black and white portraits and biographies of people defining Seattle's culture. The proceeds of the book were donated to charity, and the book later became the basis for an Emmy-nominated documentary.
In 2009, Jarvis released a picture-editing iPhone app called Best Camera. With Best Camera, users can apply 14 different filters to images shot with their iPhone and then share those images directly with Facebook, Twitter, and TheBestCamera.com. The Best Camera app was credited with "setting a trend" in smartphone photography by The Times of India and was named to Wired Magazine's Top 20 iPhone Apps of 2009, Macworld's Best Photo App, and one of Apple executive Philip W. Schiller's favorite apps. Additionally, Jarvis published a companion book, called The Best Camera Is The One That's With You, which features photographs taken with his iPhone.
Jarvis co-founded CreativeLive, an online education platform that offers free online classes in a variety of fields, in 2010.  Since its founding, CreativeLive has become the world's largest live-streaming education company.
As the founder, Jarvis raised the Series A round of $7.5 million and Series B round of $21.5 million. On April 14, 2014, it was announced that Jarvis would become the CEO of CreativeLive, taking over for the previous CEO Mika Salmi. Speaking about CreativeLive in March 2015, Jarvis told the New York Times, "What we're trying to do is create the most vibrant learning experience we can."
Chase Jarvis Live
In June 2011 Jarvis and his team broadcast the first episode of Chase Jarvis Live via Ustream. The purpose of the series is to broadcast interviews and conduct Q & As with professionals the audience might find useful, such as other professional photographers, art directors and authors. Interviews are first broadcast live via Ustream and later uploaded to YouTube. Jarvis has interviewed dozens of industry leaders including the likes of Brené Brown, Jared Leto, Tim Ferriss, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Adrian Grenier, Gary Vaynerchuk, and Guy Kawasaki.
Jarvis is a keynote speaker, and has made speeches at conferences including Virgin Disruptors, TEDxCMU, PDN Photo Plus Expo, Photokina, and the Sundance Film Festival. He is also an angel investor; in 2011, he invested in Trippy, a social travel site. Jarvis has also invested in two Seattle restaurants, mkt. (pronounced "market") and Tallulah's.
Jarvis has helped raise money for Free Arts NYC, organization that provide art programs to children. He's also an honorary board member of Pacific Photocenter NW, a board advisor at Blue Earth, and an ambassador for One Percent for the Planet.
- The Best Camera Is The One That's With You (2009)
- Seattle 100 (2010)
- Goldman, Joshua. Ultimate iPhone Photography App?. CNET. September 30, 2009.
- Borkowski, Matt. The Media Empire of Chase Jarvis. Resource Magazine. Fall 2011.
- Margolies, Nicko. Best Camera Iphone App By Chase Jarvis. PSFK. September 23, 2009.
- Chase Jarvis Biography. Stevens Pass.
- Cook, John. Chase Jarvis named CEO of CreativeLive, Mika Salmi moves to board role. Geekwire. April 16, 2014.
- Beason, Tyrone. Photographer Chase Jarvis Aims to make Artists of us All Archived February 4, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.. Seattle Times. July 25, 2010.
- Dizon, Kristen. Chase Jarvis: Global Icons Through The Camera’s Eye. Seattle Pi. April 27, 2007.
- Cross, David Finish the Sentence…with Chase Jarvis DCross.com. March 21, 2016
- Schwabel, Dan Chase Jarvis: How He Became The Photographer Everyone Wants To Work With Forbes. January 8, 2016
- Hartley, Darleen. Polaroid Hires Gaga and Jarvis to Oversee Products, Hip Gear Looms. Bright Side of News. January 8, 2011.
- Polaroid announces collaboration with visionary photographer and director Chase Jarvis Archived February 9, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.. Polaroid Press. January 7, 2011.
- Appeals Court Confirms Photographer's Rights in Case. Imaging Info. May 23, 2007.
- Morrissey, Brian Nikon Kick Starts Campaign via Tweet AdWeek. March 30, 2016
- Polaroid Announces Collaboration With Visionary Photographer and Director Chase Jarvis PR Newswire. March 30, 2016
- Sorrel, Charlie Nikon D90: First SLR with Hi-Def Movie Mode Wired News. March 30, 2016
- Sorrel, Charlie Nikon's D7000 is a Pro-Level 1080P SLR Wired. March 30, 2016
- New Project Includes You + Me — “Dasein: an Invitation To Hang”. ChaseJarvis.com. May 12, 2011.
- Chase Jarvis “Dasein: An Invitation to Hang” At Ace Hotel NYC. Juxtapoz. June 10, 2011.
- Forrest, Hugh The SXSW Interactive Featured Session Feature: Chase Jarvis SXSW. March 30, 2016
- Chase Jarvis Press. Chase Jarvis. September 5, 2008.
- Best Cam Wins Adorama Photography Award. Ubermind. Tuesday, June 29, 2010
- Wolfe, Joey Big Omaha’s Chase Jarvis: Master photog works with Apple, Lady Gaga Silicon Prairie News. March 29, 2016
- Branch, John Snow Fall: The Avalanche at Tunnel Creek New York Times. March 30, 2016
- Haughney, Christine Times Wins Four Pulitzers; Brooklyn Nonprofit Is Awarded a Reporting Prize New York Times. March 30, 2016
- Fidelman, Mark Meet the Top 30 Most Influential Photographers on the Web Huffington Post. March 30, 2016
- 2014 – 51st Annual Emmy® Nominations National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. March 30, 2016
- Rowse, Darren Chase Jarvis Releases The Best Camera Book, Community and iPhone App Digital Photography School. March 29, 2015
- New Chase Jarvis Book Seattle. Aperture Land. September 2, 2010.
- Guzman, Monica GeekWire Summit: Photographer Chase Jarvis is ready to critique your mobile pics GeekWire. March 30, 2016
- Garner, James Ross. Northwest Exposure. Seattle Met.
- Jarvis, Chase (2010). Seattle 100: Portrait of a City (Voices That Matter). New Riders Press. ISBN 0-321-74372-5.
- Kent, Jeff Chase Jarvis: What Moves You Archived November 11, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Professional Photographer Magazine. March 30, 2016
- iTunes.apple.com Best Camera.
- Fairle, Rick. Bringing Big Smiles to iPhone Shutterbugs. New York Times. November 25, 2009.
- iPhone Photography Collection By a Real Photographer. Gizmodo. October 8, 2009.
- Bly, Laura. Great Travel Apps For Smartphones. USA Today. April 9, 2010.
- Sorrell, Charlie. Best Camera: “Like Photoshop For Iphone”. "Wired". September 23, 2009.
- Graham, Jefferson. Tiny cameras can take surprisingly good photos. USA Today. June 2, 2010.
- Chen, Brian X. Wired’s 20 Favorite iPhone Apps of 2009. Wired. December 28, 2009.
- Macworld's 2009 App Gems Awards. Macworld. December 15, 2009.
- What’s On Phil Schiller’s iPhone?. The New York Times. December 5, 2009.
- Irani, Mahafreed Photo finish for your smartphone pics Times of India. March 30, 2016
- Golijan, Rosa. Master Programming, Painting, Photography, and Photoshop for Free. Gizmodo. April 8, 2010.
- Wingfield, Nick Click for Career Enhancement New York Times. January 8, 2015
- Robinson, Ryan 6 Best Business Tips from 6 Top Entrepreneurs Entrepreneur. March 29, 2016
- Empson, Rip CreativeLIVE Lands $7.5M From Greylock For Its Free, Online Classroom For Creative Entrepreneurs Tech Crunch. March 30, 2016
- Empson, Rip Now With 2M Users, CreativeLive Lands $21.5M Led By Social+Capital To Bring Free, Live Courses To The World’s Entrepreneurs Tech Crunch. March 30, 2016
- Gannes, Liz Online Education Startup CreativeLive Hands Over CEO Role to Founder Chase Jarvis Re/Code. January 8, 2015
- Beato, Gerg Turning to Education for Fun New York Times. March 29, 2016
- First Chase Jarvis Live Episode. YouTube, June 11, 2010.
- Tim Ferris on Chase Jarvis Live. YouTube, August 18, 2011.
- Guy Kawasaki on Chase Jarvis Live. YouTube, March 28, 2012.
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis on Chase Jarvis Live. YouTube. March 28, 2016
- Gary Vaynerchuk on Chase Jarvis Live. YouTube. March 28, 2016
- Adrian Grenier on Chase Jarvis Live. YouTube. March 28, 2016
- Disruptors 2015 – The future of education: Does the current model make the grade? Virgin. March 30, 2016
- TEDxCMU – Chase Jarvis – Setting Your Ideas Free: The Grand Experiment TEDx. March 30, 2016
- Chase Jarvis LIVE: Photo Plus Expo Keynote (with special guests) YouTube. November 2, 2010.
- Highlights from Photokina 2010. "I Am Nikon". September 29, 2010.
- G-Tech Panel: Creativity and Social Media @ Sundance. YouTube. January 26, 2010.
- Lacy, Sarah. Disrupt Alum Trippy Raises $1.75 Million Thanks to Ribs and Fried Chicken. TechCrunch. November 15, 2011.
- Perry, Julien Ethan Stowell to Open 'mkt.' in Tangletown Seattle Eater. March 30, 2016
- Tallulah's Seattle – Linda has done it again! Dinner and a Movie. March 30, 2016
- Shopify Announces Winners of 4th "Build-A-Business Competition" Market Wired. March 30, 2016
- Picture It… Filler Magazine. March 30, 2016
- Who We Are Pacific Photocenter NW. March 30, 2016
- Board of Directors Archived April 15, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. Blue Earth. March 30, 2016
- Ambassadors 1% for the Planet.