|Pronunciation||Pronounced in English roughly as /t͡ʃia/ for Chinese surnames, and /kia/ for the Italian surname|
|Language(s)||Often Chinese, also sometimes Italian|
Chia was the 20th-most common Chinese surname in Singapore as of 1997 (ranked by English spelling, rather than by Chinese characters). Roughly 22,600 people, or 0.9% of the Chinese Singaporean population at the time, bore the surname Chia. Among respondents to the 2000 United States Census, Chia was the 856th-most common surname among Asian Pacific Americans, and 17,530th-most common overall, with 1,481 bearers (72.78% of whom identified as Asian/Pacific Islander). In Italy, 72 families bore the surname Chia, with more than half located in Sardinia.
- Jia (various characters and tones), all spelled Chia in the Wade–Giles romanisation of Mandarin used before the development of pinyin, and still widespread in Taiwan.
- Jiā (家; IPA: /t͡ɕia⁵⁵/)
- Jiá (郟; IPA: /t͡ɕia³⁵/), which originated as a toponymic surname.
- Jiǎ (賈; IPA: /t͡ɕia²¹⁴/), which also originated as a toponymic surname referring to the State of Jia, one of the ancient Chinese states, a feudal territory granted to a son of Shu Yu of Tang, located in modern-day Linfen, Shanxi.
- Jiǎ (甲; IPA: /t͡ɕia²¹⁴/), which originated as a shortening of an ancient toponymic surname Jiǎfù (甲父).
- Xiè (謝), spelled Chia based on its pronunciation in various Southern Min dialects, including:
- Chē (車), spelled Chia based on its pronunciation in various Southern Min dialects, including:
- Hokkien (POJ: Chhia, IPA: /t͡ɕʰia⁴⁴/)
- Teochew (Peng'im: Cia1; IPA: /t͡sʰia³³/)
Chinese surname 謝
- Chia Boon Leong (谢文良; born 1925), Singaporean footballer
- Eric Chia (谢英福; 1930s–2008), Malaysian businessman
- Nicholas Chia (谢益裕; born 1938), third Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore
- Chia Thye Poh (谢太宝; born 1941), Singaporean political activist imprisoned for 23 years without charge or trial
- Yvonne Chia (谢姚依雯; born c. 1953), Malaysian banker
- Mantak Chia (謝明德; born 1944), Thai Taoist master
- Chia Yong Yong (谢邕邕; born 1962), Singaporean lawyer and politician
- Steve Chia (谢镜丰; born 1970), Singaporean politician
- Danny Chia (谢志荣; born 1972), Malaysian golfer
- Michelle Chia (谢韵仪; born 1975), Singaporean actress
- Elvin Chia (谢俊道; born 1977), Malaysian swimmer
- Amber Chia (谢丽萍; born 1981), Malaysian model and actress
- Kimberly Chia (谢静仪; born 1995), Singaporean actress
- Aaron Chia (谢定峰; born 1997), Malaysian badminton player
- Nelson Chia (谢燊杰), Singaporean television actor and director
Chinese surname 賈
- Chia Ching-teh (賈景德; 1880–1960), Republic of China politician
- Pei-yuan Chia (賈培源; born 1939), Hong Kong-born American banker
- Alyssa Chia (賈靜雯; born 1974), Taiwanese actress
- Chih-Ta Chia (賈至達), Taiwanese physicist
- Wenlan Chia (賈雯蘭), Taipei-born American fashion designer
Other or unknown
People with a non-Chinese surname Chia, or whose names as written in Chinese characters are not available:
- Víctor Li-Carrillo Chía (1929–1988), Peruvian philosopher
- Cheng Sait Chia (1940–1981), Singaporean-born Canadian poet
- Sandro Chia (born 1946), Italian painter and sculptor
- Gec Chia (born 1979), Filipino businessman and former basketball player
- Grace Chia, Singaporean writer
- "Popular Chinese Surnames in Singapore". Statistics Singapore Newsletter. 20 (2). October 1997. Archived from the original on 23 February 2008. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- "Most common last names for Asians and Pacific Islanders in the U.S." Mongabay. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- "Diffusione del cognome Chia". Mappe dei Cognomi Italiani. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- Louie, Emma Woo (1988). Chinese American Names: Tradition and Transition. McFarland. pp. 40, 75, 183. ISBN 9780786438778.
- Chao, Sheau-yueh J. (2000). Genealogical Research on Chinese Surnames. Genealogical Publishing Company. p. 31.
- Hanks, Patrick; Coates, Richard; McClure, Peter, eds. (2016). The Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland. Oxford University Press. p. 491. ISBN 9780192527479.
- Fielde, Adele M. (1883). "謝". A pronouncing and defining dictionary of the Swatow dialect, arranged according to syllables and tones. Shanghai: American Presbyterian Mission Press. p. 94. Additionally see "謝". mogher.com. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Hanks, Coates & McClure, p. 491
- Fielde 1883, p. 94. Additionally see "車". mogher.com. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Concas, Giuseppe. "Chia". Origine & significato dei cognome sardi. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
|surname Chia. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|