Claremont High School (California)
|Claremont High School [CHS]|
Logo of Claremont High School
A Tradition of Excellence
|1601 N. Indian Hill Blvd.
Claremont, California, 91711
|Founded||1890 (as Claremont Grammar School)|
|School district||Claremont Unified School District|
|Principal||Dr. Brett O'Connor|
|Vice principal||James Mitchell|
|Vice principal||Clara Dehmer|
|Vice principal||Doug McCasey|
|Number of students||2,400|
|Campus size||20 acres|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
Claremont High School is a public high school nestled in the foothills of the San Gabriel Valley in Claremont, California, USA. Part of the Claremont Unified School District, it is a California Distinguished School, a two-time national Blue Ribbon School of Excellence (1986–1987)(1999–2000), and a nationally recognized International Baccalaureate (IB) World School.
Claremont High School is in Claremont, California, about 30 miles (48 km) east of Los Angeles. Claremont High is a few miles from the consortium of seven Claremont Colleges. Within the Claremont Unified School District, Claremont High is the comprehensive high school, along with seven elementary schools, a school for orthopedically handicapped students, one intermediate school, one continuation high school, one community day school, and one adult school.
Claremont High School serves 2,400 students from a predominantly middle- to upper-class college community. The student community is 45% White, 29% Hispanic, 13% Asian and Pacific Islander, and 8% African-American. Over 96% are fluent English speakers. Claremont High serves approximately 35 orthopedically handicapped students from this and surrounding school districts.
Claremont's sports programs include football, basketball, volleyball, golf, baseball, water polo, swimming and diving, wrestling, tennis, soccer, track and field, and cross-country. The varsity football team has won 21 league championships, including 5 CIF titles. The cross-country team earned a fourth-place finish at the 2009 CIF State Meet and a third-place finish at the 2010 CIF State Meet. In 2009 and 2010, the varsity tennis team won CIF  titles. The soccer team won back to back league titles in 1993, 2001-2002 and 2011.
Claremont is part of the Palomares League consisting of Chino Hills High School, Charter Oak High School, Ayala High School, South Hills High School, and Damien High School. Claremont High School has 24 varsity athletic teams.
- Jessica Alba (1998), actress and model
- Tony Beltran, MLS defender for the Real Salt Lake
- Kori Carter, Track and field athlete
- John Darnielle, musician and singer-songwriter
- Malu Dreyer, German politician, Minister-President of the state of Rhineland-Palatinate, spent 1977 as an exchange student at Claremont
- Aundrea Fimbres, singer and dancer
- Justin Germano, baseball player in the U.S, Japan and Korea
- Elliot Graham, film editor
- Ben Harper, musician and singer-songwriter
- Martin Hewitt, actor
- Alex Hinshaw, MLB baseball player for the San Francisco Giants
- Anastasia Horne, actress/singer
- Hughes brothers, film directors, producers and screenwriters.
- Matt Jones, actor
- Dan McGwire, former NFL quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks
- Cameron Morrah, NFL tight end for the Seattle Seahawks
- Cameron Munter, U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan
- Dileep Rao, actor
- Dave Rice, college basketball coach, UNLV
- Peter Thum, co-founder of Ethos Water
- "About CHS". Claremont High School. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "NFL.com: Cameron Morrah". Nfl.com player profiles. nfl.com. Retrieved 26 May 2011.