Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine
|Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University (CCLCM)|
|Dean||James A. Young, MD|
|Students||160 (5-year program)|
|Location||Cleveland, Ohio, USA|
The Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine was established in 2002 with a $100 million gift from Norma and Al Lerner and through a collaboration between Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Reserve University. The first class of students was enrolled in 2004.
The Lerner College offers a five-year program with the goal of training physician-scientists. The 3rd or 4th year is spent doing full-time research, and a thesis is required for graduation.
On May 14, 2008, Cleveland Clinic announced that all students entering the program would receive full tuition scholarships.
The Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine is located within the Education Institute on the main campus of Cleveland Clinic. Cleveland Clinic has ranked consistently as one of the top hospitals in the country, with 9 specialties ranking in the top five in the country, and 14 in the top 10.
The Lerner College of Medicine's MCAT score for the applying class of 2011 was the fourth highest in the nation, and the school fielded 1,745 applications for 32 positions.
In 2012, 76% of graduates were matched to hospitals ranked in the Top 13 of the U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll Hospitals or within US News Top-10 specialty-specific rankings for their chosen field.
The class size each year is 32 students.
Notable past and present faculty
- Shuvo Roy, Inventor of Artificial kidney
- Steven Nissen – Cardiologist and one of Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People
- Michael Roizen – Anesthesiologist and New York Times Bestselling Author
- Maria Siemionow – Plastic surgeon and leader of the team performing the world's most complete and America's first face transplant
- Elias Traboulsi – Discovered first gene linked to macular degeneration
- Qing K. Wang – Discovered first gene linked to development of coronary artery disease
- Eric Topol – Named Doctor of the Decade by the Institute of Scientific Information for being one of the top 10 most cited medical researchers
- Richard Drake – Writer of Gray's Anatomy for Students
- Lars Georg Svensson – Cardiac surgeon and leader in aortic valve surgery
- Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine to offer full tuition scholarships for all students
- http://health.usnews.com/health/best-hospitals/cleveland-clinic-foundation-6410670/about-us#hospital-tabs 2009 US News Ranking
- http://www.hhmi.org/news/04202006.html Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellows, 2006
- http://www.hhmi.org/news/20070503.html Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellows, 2007
- http://www.hhmi.org/news/20080605scholarsfellows.html Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellows, 2008
- http://www.hhmi.org/news/20090507scholarsfellows.html Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellows, 2009
- http://www.hhmi.org/news/scholarsfellows20100622.html Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellows, 2010
- http://www.hhmi.org/grants/individuals/medical-fellows/year-long/current-fellows.html Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellows, 2011
- http://www.hhmi.org/news/seventy-medical-students-take-year-long-plunge-lab-work Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellows, 2012
- http://www.hhmi.org/news/hhmi-awards-sixty-nine-medical-research-fellowships Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellows, 2013
- http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1595326_1595329_1616143,00.html Steve Nissen-Time Magazine