|Cockerton shown within County Durham|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||County Durham and Darlington|
|EU Parliament||North East England|
Cockerton is a suburb of Darlington, a town in County Durham, England. It is situated immediately to the north-west of Darlington town centre, close to Mowden, Branksome, West Park and Faverdale. The Cocker Beck, a small stream, runs through the area and empties into the town's River Skerne via a string of valleyed parks which were donated as recreational areas for the town in the early 20th century. This area, although not part of Cockerton, is adjacent to and socially linked to Cockerton, and is known as "The Denes".
The original village layout, known still as "Cockerton Village", remains recognisable. This is mainly due to the village green and surrounding houses and cottages being well preserved, with most rebuilding having been carried out with sympathy to the adjacent surroundings. The village is also largely covered by the Cockerton Conservation Area, which is managed by Darlington Borough Council.
Amenities, facilities and services
A selection of mostly independent retailers are based around this area with some chain stores such as a Co-operative food store and a Post Office. There is a Subway sandwich shop, local pubs, chemists, a florist, a fruiterer, bakers, butchers, a discount food store, barbers, cafés, estate agents, insurance brokers and financial advisers. A new Coral betting shop has replaced the Blockbusters DVD rental store.
Cockerton Library has been housed in an award-winning building from 1970.
The village is also home to the historic Cockerton Prize Silver Band. The band was established in 1863, when James Hoggett, a local music teacher, brought a number of young Cockerton men together to form a small band. The band still rehearse twice a week and are regularly out performing.
The community of Cockerton is served by schools across the town of Darlington but particularly by local schools. These include:
- Cockerton Church of England Primary
- Alderman Leach Primary School
- Holy Family RC Primary School
- Mount Pleasant Primary School
- "Cockerton West Ward population 2011". Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- "Cockerton East ward population 2011". Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- Ordnance Survey: Landranger map sheet 93 Middlesbrough (Darlington & Hartlepool) (Map). Ordnance Survey. 2010. ISBN 9780319228777.
- "Ordnance Survey: 1:50,000 Scale Gazetteer" (csv (download)). www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk. Ordnance Survey. 1 January 2016. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- Allen Mawer, The place names of Northumberland and Durham (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1920), s.v.; Bethany Fox, 'The P-Celtic Place-Names of North-East England and South-East Scotland', The Heroic Age, 10 (2007), http://www.heroicage.org/issues/10/fox.html (appendix at http://www.heroicage.org/issues/10/fox-appendix.html).
Media related to Cockerton at Wikimedia Commons