Coco Jones in 2012
January 4, 1998
Columbia, South Carolina, U.S.
|Occupation||Singer, songwriter, actress|
|Known for||Let It Shine|
|Genres||Pop, R&B, dance,|
Courtney "Coco" Jones (born January 4, 1998) is an American singer, songwriter and actress. She was born in Columbia, South Carolina, but raised in Lebanon, Tennessee. Jones rose to prominence starring in the Disney Channel film, Let It Shine. Jones was featured on Radio Disney's Next Big Thing, or N.B.T.. Jones was formerly signed with Hollywood Records, Jones released her debut single "Holla at the DJ," followed by her extended play, Made Of.
Raised in Lebanon, Tennessee to former NFL player Mike Jones and session vocalist Javonda Jones, Jones began singing at a very young age. Her first stage performance was at the age of six when she performed "America the Beautiful" to a crowded auditorium of parents at her kindergarten graduation. At the age of nine, she met with the casting heads for Disney. After that, she became an actor and songwriter. In 2005, Jones performed the National Anthem at two NFL games. She has worked with the Motown group, The Funk Brothers. In 2006, she competed on Radio Disney, where she became known for her song "Real You". Being on N.B.T was a step in helping her to further launch her music career.
2006–12: Coco Jones and acting
In 2011, she has guest starred on the Disney Channel's So Random!. In 2009, she was chosen to perform live on "The Most Talented Kids" episode of the Maury Povich Show. In 2010, Her self-titled debut CD, Coco Jones, which led to her concert series, UBU-STOP THE BULLYING; her songs embraced a platform of positive values and strong self-esteem. In 2012, she performed at the 2012 NAACP Awards Nominees Luncheon, and has concerts scheduled throughout the year. Jones is showcased as the youngest artist on the recently released Bleve Records compilation CD, My First Ride, benefiting the (film)|Let It Shine]], where Jones played the role of “Roxie,” a little teenage sensation, whose music label is sponsoring a songwriting contest at a teen club. "Cyrus DeBarge" (Williams), by the artist name of "Truth", writes a contest-winning song about his love for Roxie, but when he’s too shy to claim it as his own, his best friend, “Kris McDuffy” (Jackson) takes the credit, thus kicking off a melodramatic story of accomplishment. Based on French play Cyrano de Bergerac, Let It Shine tells the story of young love, boasting a message of self-confidence. The movie was the most watched DCOM and most watched movie of the year for kids and tweens in 2012. It Shine, "Around The Block" and "Joyful Noise".
2013–present: Made Of and debut album
Jones was in the recording studio with Grammy-nominated producer Rob Galbraith, co-writing and recording all-new original music. Jones' debut single "Holla at the DJ" premiered on Radio Disney on December 6, with its release on iTunes the next day. The video for the track premiered on the Disney Channel on December 12, with a premiere on VEVO just afterwards. Her extended play Made Of was released on March 12, 2013 . Jones performed with Mindless Behavior at Radio Disney's Radio Disney Music Awards, and took home an award for "Funniest Celebrity Take." It was announced that "World Is Dancing" would be the second single from the EP.
In May 2013, Jones returned to the studio, later in an interview with the child version of Just Jared confirmed that there will be influences on Beyoncé, also confirmed that it will be an album with the same joyful songs, but also include more ballads. On the new album, Jones has worked with David Banner, Julie Frost, Ester Dean, and Jukebox. In January 2014, Jones was officially dropped from Hollywood Records. She is now an independent artist. On August 29, 2014, Jones released a lyric video for her debut independent single, "Peppermint". It was officially released on iTunes on September 4, 2014, as the lead single of her debut studio album.
|"What I Said"||2012||Let It Shine|
|"Holla at the DJ"||Made Of|
|"World Is Dancing"|
(with Katie Armiger)
|Let 'em Know"||2015|
(MattyB featuring Coco Jones)
|"Whodunit"||2012||Adam Hicks||Shake It Up: Live 2 Dance|
|"Don't Push Me"||N/A|
|"Guardian Angel"||Tyler James Williams||Let It Shine|
|"Me and You"|
|"Let It Shine"|
|"Who I'm Gonna Be"||N/A|
|"Good to Be Home"|
|"Around the Block"||among Let It Shine cast|
|"Christmas Night"||N/A||Disney Channel Holiday Playlist|
|"Freaky Freakend"||2013||Shake It Up: I <3 Dance|
|"Lights All Over the World"||Disney Holidays Unwrapped|
|2012||Let It Shine||Roxanne "Roxie" Andrews||Television film|
|2011–2012||So Random!||Coco Blue||Recurring Role|
|2012–2013||Good Luck Charlie||Kelsey||Recurring Role (Season 3–4)|
|2014||The Exes||Vanessa||"Oh Brother Here Art Thou" (Season 4, Episode 5)|
- "About". Facebook. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- . Radio Disney. Accessed 2012-06-07.
- TheJust. "Interview with Coco Jones". Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "Disney Channel’s ‘Let It Shine’ Divines 5.7 Million Viewers, Becomes #1 TV Movie of the Year with Kids and Tweens - Ratings - TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com". TVbytheNumbers. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "Tyler James Williams on Twitter: "5.7 million people watched #LetItShine last night. Incredible! Does that mean those same 5.7 million wanna help me wash clothes today?!"". Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "Official YouTube". YouTube. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "Official VEVO". YouTube. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- ""Peppermint" - Coco Jones (Official Lyric Video)". YouTube. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "Coco's New Single 'Peppermint' Out Now!". Coco Jones. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "Coco Jones - EP by Coco Jones". Allmusic. 2011-05-30. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "Made Of - EP by Coco Jones". iTunes. 2011-05-30. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "Stand Up by Coco Jones". iTunes. 2011-05-30. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "What I Said by Coco Jones". Allmusic. 2011-05-30. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "Holla at the DJ by Coco Jones". Allmusic. 2011-05-30. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "Déjà Vu by Coco Jones". iTunes. 2011-05-30. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "Request "World Is Dancing" on Radio Disney NOW!". Coco Jones Official Website. 2011-05-30. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "Glitter by Coco Jones & Katie Armiger". iTunes. 2011-05-30. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "Peppermint - Single by Coco Jones". iTunes. 2014-09-04. Retrieved September 15, 2014.
- "Let 'em Know - Single by Coco Jones". iTunes. 2014-09-04. Retrieved September 15, 2014.
- "Flyin High by Coco Jones". iTunes. 2011-05-30. Retrieved June 4, 2011.