|Genre(s)||Casual mobile game|
Coin master is a free, single-player, casual mobile game created by Israeli studio Moon Active. It has had over 100 million downloads (as of February 2021). Coin Master is the top-grossing mobile game in the UK (since February 2019) and Germany (since June 2019).
Coin Master can be found under the 'Adventure Game' category in the app stores, but uses gambling mechanics. In order to build their own game villages or attack the villages of other players, users must spin to win coins. The number of attempts is limited to seven per hour, but additional attempts and items can be purchased in chests. Also, free spins are gifted by Coin Master through links on their social channels and by subscribing to their email newsletter. There are also numerous websites that collect these links to make it easy for you to collect all the free gift rewards.
A fortune is acquired by spinning and winning, attacking another player's village, or raiding another player’s fortune. A maximum of five shields, as well as the pet Rhino, can be used to defend villages. When a player's village is attacked, the game also allows a "revenge" so a player can launch a counterattack.
Players continue to spin, win and build through more than 300 uniquely themed village adventures, such as LA dreams, Buddhist village, Hell's village, and so on. Other village themes include Magical Forest, Steampunk Land, and Coin Manor. Villages have five items, which can include characters, pets, homes, transportation, and items from nature. To complete a village you need coins. Every next village is more expensive than the one before. The first village costs 3.1 million coins. Village 293 costs over 1.6 trillion coins. You can lower the cost of a village by building village items during the Village Mania event.
An extremely popular feature in the game is the ‘Card Collection’. Players make tremendous efforts to collect and trade cards in hopes of completing card sets, which are used to win sought-after rewards such as spins, pet experience, and more. Chests with collectible cards inside them can also be collected using coins.
Cards differ in value, and some of the rarest ones can be very difficult to find. The most precious cards can be shown off to the player's communities.
There are countless online social groups of fans from all over the world that are dedicated purely to card trading.
The pig that is placed in all the events and promotion art of the game is the protagonist (tour guide) of Coin Master.
Additionally, there are new characters introduced in every village.
The game also features other mythological characters such as wizards, witches, warriors, and queens.
Foxy, Tiger, and Rhino are the 3 pets that are designed to help players collect more coins each in their own unique way. Pets can be raised by obtaining treats for them and raising their XP (experience points) by using XP potions. Foxy gives you extra coins for a raid up to 107% of your raid value. Tiger gives you extra coins for attacks. These extra coins can get up to 410% of the attack value. Rhino protects your village from attacks. This pet protects up to 70% of the attacks on your village. Additionally, pets need to be kept awake with treats. For each treat they stay awake for 4 hours. They can stay awake for longer periods of time with multiple treats.
At most times there are events in Coin Master. Main events last for 3 to 5 days and can be events in which you get rewards for attacks or raids. These events are called Attack Madness or Raid Madness. In some cases, you get rewards for both attacks and raids together. A new kind of event gives you rewards for getting 3 symbols on a row.
The game is based on the slot machine mechanism. In order to play the game, you need spins. Each day you receive up to 110 free spins  and there are other ways to obtain them like inviting Facebook friends to join the game, sending gifts to your friends and receiving a reward, following Coin Master on social media (they share free spins and coins every day), watching in-game video ads and levelling up your villages.
VIP is a special status that gives extra benefits to players like extra spins, coins, exclusive events, a private Facebook group, and a permanent player ID. It was rumored that the VIP is given to players who spend a specific amount of money in the game depending on the country they play from but people have accused Moonactive of not being transparent enough with the process.
As of October 2019, Coin Master has grossed over $508 million in gross revenue. 85% of Coin Master's net revenue comes from the U.S, the UK and Germany combined - over $260 million from the United States, a dramatic jump in the UK (since February 2019) resulting in $80 million, and Germany close behind with $52 million. Coin Master surpassed Candy Crush Saga as a top-grossing game and claimed first place on both the App Store and Google Play store in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
In his late night show on German public TV, Jan Böhmermann voiced his opinion that Coin Master is marketed to children and adolescents despite corresponding denials, among other things such as the child-friendly look of the game and advertising from popular influencers like Pietro Lombardi.
Jennifer Lopez, Khloé Kardashian, Kris Jenner, and Scott Disick have featured in advertisements for Coin Master. Other celebrities who have participated in advertisements for the game are Ben Higgins, Chris Harrison, Rae Sremmurd, Terry Crews, Emily Ratajkowski, Cardi B, and Joan Collins.
Coin Master was ranked in the top 20 of the acclaimed Top 50 Developers/Top 50 Mobile Game Makers list from PocketGamer.biz, published October 1, 2019. The game has also received countless mentions in industry publications regarding its continuous stance of 1st place in the weekly/monthly roundup lists of Top Grossing games on both the App Store and Google Play in 2019.
Use in scamming
Coin Master has been used as part of "human verification" scams. As part of the scam, a malicious website prompts the user to "prove they are not a robot" by playing other games, with the end goal of receiving in-game currency.
- "Top trending game of the week on Android smartphones - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Coin Master Rakes in $500 Million Globally as It Cashes in On Success in Great Britain, Germany, and the U.S." Sensortower.com.
- "Gameplay – Coin Master". moonactive.zendesk.com.
- "App Trend Games of 2019: Coin Master Tops Charts". thekoalition.com. Koalition. December 29, 2019.
- "Gaming-App Coin Master: Wie Kinder in der Spielgeldfalle landen". Spiegel Online.
- "Coin Master Free Spins". inversegamer.com. Retrieved 2021-01-02.
- "Coin Master: How The App Lives Up To Its Name". ilounge.com. iLounge. January 2, 2020.
- "Villages". Retrieved December 21, 2020.
- "Coin Master: How The App Lives Up To Its Name". gazettereview.com. Gazette Review.
- "Coin Master Has Taken Casual Gaming by Storm: Let's Take a Look at Why It's Been So Successful". gazettereview.com. TechShout.
- "Predicting the Next Social Game Sensation: How Coin Master Took Us By Surprise". gamenguide.com. January 2, 2020.
- "Coin Master Free Spins And Coins Links (Daily Update) July 2021 - Coin Master Free Spins". 2021-06-07. Retrieved 2021-07-15.
- "5 Coin Master Tips & Tricks You Need to Know". heavy.com. Heavy.
- Erik (2019-11-08). "Pets in Coin Master - Ultimate tricks". Coin Master Strategies. Retrieved 2020-12-10.
- coin master free spins
- "These are the iPhone's most popular apps". The Independent. 3 December 2019.
- Forde, Matthew. "Weekly global mobile games charts: Coin Master overtakes Candy Crush Saga in Great Britain and Ireland for top grossing". Pocket Gamer.
- "Coin Master: So hat die Glücksspiel-App durch Influencer 280 Millionen Dollar umgesetzt". Daily. July 30, 2019.
- "Böhmermann nimmt sich glücksspielähnliche App "Coin Master" vor - derStandard.de". Der Standard.
- "Indizierungsverfahren zu der App "Coin Master" eingeleitet". Mimikama (in German). 16 October 2019.
- "Jennifer Lopez Playing Coin Master In A Grocery Store Hits 1 Million Views". theblast.com. The Blast. February 12, 2020.
- "Khloé Kardashian, Kris Jenner and Scott Disick Go on the Attack in Coin Master Campaign". broadwayworld.com. Broadway World. January 17, 2020.
- Stone, Natalie (January 23, 2020). "Watch Kris Jenner Use Her Momager Negotiating Skills with Scott Disick in Funny Coin Master Ad". people.com. People.
- Hara, Ramon (January 20, 2020). "The Kardashians Are The Latest Celebrities to Endorse This Mobile Game". gamerant.com. Gamerant.
- Bhuvad, Ariba. "Ben Higgins and Chris Harrison tackle mobile game "Coin Master"". acceptthisrose.com. FanSided.
- "Play Coin Master and trade cards with Slim Jxmmi and Swae!". Rae Sremmurd. 2018-01-29. Retrieved 2020-07-03.
- "Coin Master, un éxito millonario para móviles que se publicita con Emily Ratajkowski". Vandal (in Spanish). Retrieved 2020-07-03.
- "The Top 50 Mobile Game Makers of 2019". pocketgamer.biz. PocketGamer.
- Forde, Matthew. "Weekly global mobile games charts: Coin Master overtakes Candy Crush Saga in Great Britain and Ireland for top grossing". Pocketgamer.biz.