Connect Tasmania Core
The Connect Tasmania Core is the name used by the Government of Tasmania to refer to a fibre optic communications network linking all major cities of Tasmania to Victoria (and hence the rest of Australia). The government intends to offer access to the network in order to facilitate a more competitive telecommunications industry.
TasGovNet is the name of the on-island backbone. It is 420 km long and links the major cities of Burnie, Devonport, Launceston, and Hobart. It also links George Town, where it is intended to connect to the fibre optic cables that were laid with the Basslink submarine electricity cable.
The Tasmanian Research and Education Network (TREN) intends to use the TasGovNet and Basslink fibre as part of a network to link major educational and research organisations in Tasmania, including the University of Tasmania, TAFE Tasmania, Australian Maritime College and Australian Antarctic Division.
- "Telecommunications tenders". Department of Treasury and Finance (Tasmania). 7 September 2006. Archived from the original on 1 September 2007. Retrieved 13 December 2006.
- "Telstra's Tasmanian monopoly about to end". ITWire. 16 August 2006. Retrieved 13 December 2006.
- "Tasmanian Government Broadband Action Plan". Department of Premier and Cabinet (Tasmania). June 2005. Retrieved 13 December 2006.
- "Broadband Connect and Clever Networks Discussion Paper – Tasmanian Government Submission" (PDF). Tasmanian Government. January 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 May 2006. Retrieved 13 December 2006.
- "Government Chooses Aurora as Broadband Partner". 21 December 2007. Retrieved 1 January 2008.