|Part of a series on|
|Search engine marketing|
Content marketing is any marketing that involves the creation and sharing of media and publishing content in order to acquire and retain customers. This information can be presented in a variety of formats, including news, video, white papers, e-books, infographics, case studies, how-to guides, question and answer articles, photos, etc.
In 1895, John Deere launched the magazine The Furrow, providing information to farmers on how to become more profitable. The magazine, considered the first custom publication, is still in circulation, reaching 1.5 million readers in 40 countries in 12 different languages.
Michelin developed the Michelin Guide in 1900, offering drivers information on auto maintenance, accommodations, and other travel tips. 35,000 copies were distributed for free in this first edition.
The phrase "content marketing" was used as early as 1996, when John F. Oppedahl led a roundtable for journalists at the American Society for Newspaper Editors. In 1998, Jerrell Jimerson held the title of "director of online and content marketing" at Netscape. In 1999, author Jeff Cannon wrote,“In content marketing, content is created to provide consumers with the information they seek.”
By 2014, Forbes Magazine's website had written about the seven most popular ways companies use content marketing. In it, the columnist points out that by 2013, use of content marketing had jumped across corporations from 60% a year or so before, to 93% as part of their overall marketing strategy. Despite the fact that 70% of organizations are creating more content, only 21% of marketers think they are successful at tracking ROI.
- "Trends 2014 in Online Marketing: Content Marketing". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "What is Content Marketing?: Content Marketing". Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Content marketing defined: a customer-centric content marketing definition". Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- John Deere: The Media Company (Video). Content Marketing Institute. 30 April 2012.
- "The Michelin Guide: 100 Editions and Over a Century of History". Michelin. Retrieved 3 February 2009.
- Cohen, Heidi. "Content Marketing". Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- "Roundtable: Content Marketing". asne.org.
- "Netscape to offer Web forums". CNET. CBS Interactive.
- Cannon, Jeff (1999), 'Make Your Website Work For You', pg. 45. McGraw Hill Professional, ISBN 978-0071352413
- The Top 7 Content Marketing Trends Dominating 2014 Forbes.com (2014-08-24). Retrieved on 2014-09-22
- 2014 B2B Content Marketing Research: Strategy is Key to Effectiveness ContentMarketingInstitute.com (2013-10-01). Retrieved on 2014-09-22
- Idinopulos, Michael. "Content Selling". Content Marketing Institue. PeopleLinx. Retrieved 30 December 2014.