Croydon North, Victoria
|Population||7,860 (2016 census)|
|• Density||1,970/km2 (5,100/sq mi)|
|Area||4 km2 (1.5 sq mi)|
|Location||29 km (18 mi) from Melbourne|
|LGA(s)||City of Maroondah|
Croydon North is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 29 km north-east of Melbourne's Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Maroondah. At the 2016 Census, Croydon North had a population of 7,860. Croydon has 3 major shopping strips, two on either side of Maroondah Highway (continuing shortly down Dorset and Exeter roads) and the other on Exeter road just next to Kinta Ct.
Croydon North is within The City of Maroondah and is in the Barngeong ward (effective 24 August 2020) which is currently represented by Independent Marijke Graham. The area is served by both the MFB and CFA. The suburb is home to plenty parks, paths and reserves and has a great recreational walking and cycling culture.
Croydon North began as a small settlement on the Brushy Creek. and the area was aptly named Brushy Creek. A hotel was built near the creek in 1855 and another was built ten years later a few kilometres north. In 1878 a school was built in the area, a church, and post office soon followed. The area was served by Cobb and Co coach which ran from Kew.
The Post Office opened on 1 November 1925 in the then rural area. Today it runs only as a newsagent.
In 1927 Dame Nellie Melba opened the Croydon North Hall, which is now an accountants office (on Exeter Road). It was made of strong Australian timber, something Dame Nellie Melba was very proud of.
The area was primarily developed in the 60s-80s but has also seen recent development in the form of property subdivisions.
Croydon North is served by Ventura Bus Services, linking residents to Croydon, Ringwood, Chirnside Park, Lilydale. & Knox. Croydon North also has a V/line Stop along the Melbourne to Mansfield coach service. - The stop is located at the Maroondah Hwy/ Exeter road Bus Stop and is simply named 'Croydon'. The 684 passes through but does not stop. All other public buses run between Croydon Station and Chirnside Park Shopping Centre. The area is also Served by two night bus routes, 963 and the 964.
- 671 Croydon to Chirnside via Croydon North
- 670 Lilydale To Ringwood via Croydon and Chirnside
- 664 Chirnside to Knox SC
- 963 Night Bus - Ringwood - Croydon North - Lilydale
- 964 Night Bus - Croydon - Kilsyth - Mt Evelyn - Lilydale
- V/line Service: Southern Cross to Mansfield via Croydon
Croydon North has 2 schools, both of which are for primary education.
Yarra Road Primary School, established in 1925 for the then growing population west of central Croydon North
Village School, A school built on 8 acres and set up to "provide an alternative learning experience"
Croydon North also has 3 Kindergartens.
Barngeong Reserve Kindergarten
Croydon North Kindergarten
Milestone Child Care and Kindergarten
The main shopping / retail strip is located on both sides of the Maroondah Highway and along Exeter Road.
On the west side of Maroondah Highway there is a: Coles, Bottle-o, Chemist, Aussie Bank, Cafe, Bike shop, Fish and Chips shop, News Agents, Cheese Cake Factory, Optometrist, Dominoes Pizzeria, Florist, Bakery, a burger place and many other stores. On the Eastern side, there is a Tattoo shop, a Thai restaurant and a United Petrol Station.
- City of Croydon - the former local government area of which Croydon North was a part
- City of Maroondah- The current Council.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Croydon North (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- Croydon North Postcode Australia Post
- "Map". cdn.cfa.vic.gov.au. Retrieved 30 March 2021.
- "Parks and playgrounds". Maroondah City Council. Retrieved 31 March 2021.
- "Croydon North". Victorian Places. Retrieved 30 March 2021.
- Phoenix Auctions History, Post Office List, retrieved 31 March 2021
- "Croydon: then and now. By Geoff Arnott, et al". Royal Historical Society of Victoria. 24 January 2021. Retrieved 30 March 2021.
- "671 Croydon - Chirnside Park via Warrien Road & Patrick Street". Public Transport Victoria.
- "670 Ringwood - Lilydale via Croydon & Chirnside Park". Public Transport Victoria.
- "664 Chirnside Park - Knox City via Croydon & Bayswater". Public Transport Victoria.
- "963 Night bus: Ringwood - Mooroolbark - Lilydale". Public Transport Victoria.
- "964 Night bus: Croydon - Kilsyth - Mt Evelyn - Lilydale". Public Transport Victoria.
- "Mt Buller-Mansfield - Melbourne via Yea". Public Transport Victoria.
- "Croydon". Yarra Road Primary School. Retrieved 30 March 2021.
- "Village School: Alternative Private Primary School in Melbourne". Village School Inc. 30 March 2021. Retrieved 30 March 2021.
- "Yellow pages listing". yellowpages.com.au. Retrieved 30 March 2021.