City of Maroondah
|City of Maroondah|
|Coordinates||37°48′24″S 145°15′48″E / 37.8067925°S 145.2632003°E|
|• Density||1,879.8/km2 (4,869/sq mi)|
|Area||61.2 km2 (23.6 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Rob Steane|
|Website||City of Maroondah|
The City of Maroondah is a local government area in Victoria, Australia in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Maroondah had a population of 115,043 in August 2021.
The City of Maroondah was created through the amalgamation the former Cities of Ringwood and Croydon in December 1994. The name 'Maroondah' was taken from two Aboriginal words - meaning "throwing" and "leaf" - symbolising the green environment.
Suburbs located in the City include Ringwood, Croydon, Heathmont, Ringwood East, Ringwood North, Warranwood, Croydon North, Croydon South, Croydon Hills, Bayswater North and parts of Kilsyth South, Vermont and Park Orchards.
The Lilydale and Belgrave railway lines run through the City of Maroondah, with stations at Heatherdale, Ringwood, Ringwood East, Croydon, and Heathmont. The Maroondah City Council is served by many buses operated by Ventura, Kinetic, McKenzies and V/Line.
Maroondah Hospital, a large public hospital located in Ringwood East serves Maroondah and the surrounding areas.
Maroondah contracts JJ Richards for their garbage collection and have 3 bins: A 240-litre blue-lidded bin for recycling, a 240-litre lime green-lidded bin for food organics and garden organics (FOGO) and a 120-litre red-lidded bin for waste/landfill collection (an 80-litre bin is also available). Prior to 2023, the bin lids were maroon for garden organics (only) and green for waste/landfill and food organics.
Maroondah residents have a wide selection of excellent state and private schools that attract students from across the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
- Ainslie Parklands Primary School
- Bayswater North Primary School
- Croydon Hills Primary School
- Croydon Primary School
- Dorset Primary School
- Eastwood Primary School
- Good Shepherd Lutheran Primary School
- Great Ryrie Primary School
- Heathmont East Primary School
- Holy Spirit Community School
- Kalinda Primary School
- Marlborough Primary School
- Mullum Primary School
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Primary School
- Ringwood Heights Primary School
- Ringwood North Primary School
- Ruskin Park Primary School
- Sacred Heart Primary School
- Tinternvale Primary School
- Village School
- Warranwood Primary School
- Yarra Road Primary School
- Aquinas College
- Croydon Community School
- Heathmont College
- Luther College
- Melba College
- Norwood Secondary College
- Ringwood Secondary College
- Melbourne Rudolf Steiner School
- Tintern Grammar
- Yarra Valley Grammar
- Croydon Special Developmental School
- Swinburne University of Technology - Croydon Campus
Ayrton Research & Technology - Ringwood Campus
Townships and localities
The city had a population of 115,043 at the 2021 census, up from 110,376 at the 2016 census.
^ - Territory divided with another LGA
There are two libraries located in the Maroondah region, both managed by Eastern Regional Libraries.
- Realm - Ringwood Town Square, 179 Maroondah Highway, Ringwood (opposite Ringwood Station)
- Croydon Library - Civic Square, Mount Dandenong Road, Croydon
Councillors and wards
The City of Maroondah has nine wards, each electing a single member:
|Wicklow||Liberal||Tasa Damante, Deputy Mayor|
|Yarrunga||Liberal||Rob Steane, Mayor|
There are two main shopping precincts in Maroondah.
- Eastland Shopping Centre - Maroondah Highway, Ringwood
- Croydon Central - Kent Avenue, Croydon
- ^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (28 June 2022). "Maroondah (Local Government Areas)". 2021 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 18 April 2023.
- ^ "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18: Population Estimates by Local Government Area (ASGS 2018), 2017 to 2018". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019. Estimated resident population, 30 June 2018.
- ^ a b "Census | Australian Bureau of Statistics". www.abs.gov.au. 11 January 2023.
- ^ "Indigenous history - Maroondah City Council". Maroondah Council. Archived from the original on 21 December 2017. Retrieved 16 August 2021.
- ^ "1. Home" (PDF).
- ^ "Dity of Maroondah" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 March 2020. Retrieved 26 February 2020.
- ^ "Waste & rubbish".
- Media related to City of Maroondah at Wikimedia Commons
- Official Maroondah City Council website
- Public Transport Victoria local public transport map
- Ringwood Community Garden - Selkirk Avenue, Wantirna
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps