City of Maroondah
|City of Maroondah|
Map of Melbourne showing Maroondah City Council
|• Density||1,926/km2 (4,990/sq mi)|
|Area||61 km2 (23.6 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Kylie Spears|
|Website||City of Maroondah|
The City of Maroondah was created through the amalgamation the former Cities of Ringwood and Croydon in December 1994. The name 'Maroondah' was taken from an aboriginal word meaning "leaf", symbolising the green environment.
Suburbs located in the City include Ringwood, Croydon, Heathmont, Ringwood East, Ringwood North, Warranwood, Croydon North, Croydon South, Croydon Hills, Bayswater North and parts of Kilsyth South, Vermont and Park Orchards.
The Lilydale and Belgrave railway lines run through the City of Maroondah, With stations at Ringwood, Croydon, Ringwood East and Heathmont. The Maroondah City Council is served by many buses ran by Ventura, Transdev, McKenzies and Vline.
Maroondah contracts JJ Richards for their garbage collection and have 3 bins. Blue lidded 240l bin for recycling, a Maroon lidded 240l bin for garden organics and a 120l all green bin for waste/landfill collection.
Maroondah residents have plenty of great schools that also attract students from other councils. These include catholic schools and state schools:
- Ringwood Secondary College
- Heathmont College
- Norwood Secondary College
- Aquinas College
- Luther College
- Yarra Valley Grammar
- Mullum Primary School
- Eastwood Primary School
- Ringwood Heights Primary School
- Ringwood North Primary School
- Kalinda Primary School
- Great Ryrie Primary School
- Heathmont East Primary School
- Ruskin Park Primary School
- Dorset Primary School
- Good Shepherd Primary School
- Croydon Hills Primary School
- Yarra Road Primary School
- Bayswater North
- Croydon Hills
- Croydon North
- Croydon South
- Kilsyth (Shared with the Shire of Yarra Ranges)
- Kilsyth South
- Park Orchards (Shared with the City of Manningham)
- Ringwood East
- Ringwood North (Shared with City of Manningham)
- Vermont (Shared with the City of Whitehorse)
- Wonga Park (Shared with the City of Manningham and Shire of Yarra Ranges)
There are two libraries located in the Maroondah region, both managed by Eastern Regional Libraries.
Croydon Library - Civic Square, Mount Dandenong Road, Croydon
Realm - Ringwood Town Square, 179 Maroondah Highway Ringwood (opposite Ringwood Station)
Councillors and wards
The City of Maroondah has nine wards, each electing a single member:
|Wombolano||Independent||Kylie Spears, Mayor|
|Wonga||Liberal||Nora Lamont, Deputy Mayor|
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18: Population Estimates by Local Government Area (ASGS 2018), 2017 to 2018". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019. Estimated resident population, 30 June 2018.
- "Maroondah Council Interesting Facts". Maroondah Council. Retrieved 18 July 2019.
- Government, Maroondah City (15 August 2015). "Maroondah City". knowyourcouncil.vic.gov.au. Retrieved 18 October 2020.
- "VICNAMES - The Register of Geographic Names". maps.land.vic.gov.au. Retrieved 18 October 2020.
- Official Maroondah City Council website
- Public Transport Victoria local public transport map
- Ringwood Community Garden - Selkirk Avenue, Wantirna
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps
|This article about a place in Melbourne is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|