Cry (Kelly Clarkson song)
|Single by Kelly Clarkson|
|from the album All I Ever Wanted|
|Released||March 12, 2010|
Valley Village, California
(Bay 7 Studios)
(Sparky Dark Studio)
(Sunset Sound Studios)
|Kelly Clarkson singles chronology|
"Cry" is a song by American pop-rock singer Kelly Clarkson, written by Clarkson, Jason Halbert, Mark Townsend and produced by Howard Benson. It was released as the final single from Clarkson's fourth studio album, All I Ever Wanted (2009), released only in Australia and Germany. The song was covered by Lea Michele on an season three episode of Glee.
Background and release
Kelly Clarkson originally wanted "Cry" to be released as the third single from the album, but her record label RCA decided to release "Already Gone" instead. "Cry" was released as a single in Germany and Australia. It was released as a digital download in Germany on March 12, 2010, and was sent to Australian radio on March 15, 2010, where it became the second most-added song to radio that week.
The song received positive reviews by music critics. Slant Magazine stated that "the use of electronic vocal enhancement throughout the album, in particular, is a liability: It strips the natural warmth of her voice on "Cry", making her delivery sound distant and tinny". The Huffington Post gave a positive review, and said: "Kelly Clarkson's vocals on every ballad, especially "Cry" (whose working title HAD to be "Is It Over Yet?"), blow away any comparisons to her youngish peers, such as those of the Disney variety (sorry Miley)". Los Angeles Times said that "[The album] has a couple of old-fashioned tear-jerkers that Clarkson does so well, [such as] "Cry".
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from All I Ever Wanted booklet liner notes.
- Writers: Kelly Clarkson, Jason Halbert, Mark Lee Townsend
- Published by: Songs for My Shrink/Kobalt Songs Music Publishing, INC. (ASCAP), Dejanovas Music/State One Songs, INC. (ASCAP), House of Rexford Music (BMI)
- Produced by: Howard Benson
- Keyboards and Programming: Howard Benson
- Drums: Josh Freese
- Bass: Paul Bushnell
- Guitar: Phil X
- Recorded by: Mike Plotnikoff
- Digital Editing by: Paul Decarli
- Additional engnieering by: Hatsukazu "Hatch" Inagaki
- Recorded at Bay 7 Studios, Valley Village, CA; Sparky Dark Studio, Calabasas, CA; Sunset Sound Studios, Hollywood, CA
- Assisted at Sunset Sound by Graham Hope
|Germany||March 12, 2010||Digital download|
|Australia||March 15, 2010||Contemporary Hit radio|
|Single by Glee Cast|
|Released||May 1, 2012|
|Writer(s)||Kelly Clarkson, Jason Halbert, Mark Townsend|
|Canadian Hot 100||96|
|Irish Singles Chart||100|
|UK Singles Chart||116|
- "Kelly Clarkson – Cry (SME)". The Music Network (778). Archived from the original on April 6, 2012. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "HuffPost Reviews: Kelly Clarkson All I Ever Wanted / Gin Blossoms Playlist Your Way". Huffington Post. March 9, 2009.
- "Kelly Clarkson's 'All I Ever Wanted': 3.5 stars [UPDATE]". Los Angeles Times. February 27, 2009.