In the CIE 1931 xy chromaticity diagram the DCI-P3 color space covers 45.5% of all chromaticities and 86.9% of Pointer’s gamut. In the CIE 1976 u’v’ chromaticity diagram the coverage is 41.7% and 85.5% respectively. The blue primary color is the same as sRGB and Adobe RGB; the red primary color is a monochromatic light source and has a wavelength of 615 nm. DCI-P3 was defined by the Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI) organization and published by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) in SMPTE EG 432-1 and SMPTE RP 431-2. As a step towards the implementation of the significantly wider Rec. 2020 it is expected to see adoption in television systems and in the home cinema domain.
On November 10, 2010, SMPTE published SMPTE EG 432-1:2010.
On April 6, 2011, SMPTE published SMPTE RP 431-2:2011.
In September 2015, Apple's iMac desktop became the first consumer computer with a built-in wide-gamut display, supporting the P3 color space.
In March 2016, Apple's 9.7-inch iPad Pro shipped with a display supporting P3 color.
In October 2016, Microsoft's Surface Studio desktop computer was unveiled, featuring P3 wide color.
In June 2017, Apple unveiled the second generation of the 12.9-inch iPad Pro and the new 10.5-inch iPad Pro, both shipped with a display supporting P3 color.
In November 2017, HTC announced HTC U11+ phone with DCI-P3 color support .
In May, 2018, OnePlus Launched the OnePlus 6 which also like its predecessor covers completely the DCI-P3 color space. Also Xiaomi Mi8 covers completely the DCI-P3 color space.
In January 2019, Asus launched the PQ22UC. A portable 21.6" 4K OLED Screen with 99% DCI-P3 Colour Gamut that can run over USB-C 
|Color space||White point||CCT||Primary colors|
|P3-D60 (ACES Cinema)||0.32168||0.33767||6000||0.680||0.320||0.265||0.690||0.150||0.060|
DCI-P3 uses a pure 2.6 gamma curve, a white luminance of 48 cd/m2, and a whitepoint with the same correlated daylight temperature as D63 but greener.
Display P3 is a color space created by Apple Inc. It uses the DCI P3 primaries but a D65 white point which is much more common among computer-display colorspaces (sRGB and AdobeRGB both use D65). Also unlike DCI-P3's 1/2.6 pure gamma curve, Display-P3 uses the sRGB transfer curve.
- "Color spaces". Technicolor SA. Archived from the original on 2016-02-03. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- Kid Jansen (2014-02-19). "The Pointer's Gamut". tftcentral. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, 2011, New York: RP 431-2, D-Cinema Quality – Reference Projector and Environment for the Display of DCDM in Review Rooms and Theaters
- Geoffrey Morrison (2015-04-12). "Ultra HD 4K TV color, part II: The (near) future". CNET. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "EG 432-1:2010 - Digital Source Processing — Color Processing for D-Cinema". Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2010-11-10. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "RP 431-2:2011 - D-Cinema Quality — Reference Projector and Environment". Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2011-04-06. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "UHD Alliance Defines Premium Home Entertainment Experience". Business Wire. 2016-01-04. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- Andy Vandervell (2016-01-06). "What is Ultra HD Premium? New HDR standard explained". TrustedReviews. Time Inc. UK. Retrieved 2016-09-19.
- "The HDR screen of the Galaxy Note 7 could be the next big thing for phones". CNET. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Galaxy Note7 OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out". www.displaymate.com. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- Mike Wuerthele (2016-09-09). "Apple's Wide Color screen on the iPhone 7 will lead to more faithful color reproduction". AppleInsider. Retrieved 2016-09-19.
- "MacBook Pro - Technical Specifications". Apple. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- Soneira, Raymond. "Galaxy S8 OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out". DisplayMate. Retrieved 4 April 2017.
- Rahman, Mishaal (29 June 2017). "Enable the OnePlus 5's DCI-P3 Wide Color Gamut Mode on the OnePlus 3T". xda-developers. Archived from the original on 29 June 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Microsoft Surface Studio Vs Apple iMac: Australian Specs And Pricing Compared". Lifehacker Australia. 2016-11-01. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "iPhone X - Technical Specifications". Apple. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "iPhone 8 - Technical Specifications". Apple. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "iPhone X OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out". www.displaymate.com. Retrieved 2018-01-02.
- "Forbes: Google Pixel 3 Vs Pixel 3 XL: What's The Difference?". Retrieved 2018-11-18.
- "HTC U11 Plus". HTC. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "iMac Pro - Technical Specifications". Apple. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- Kelly, Gordon. "Google Pixel 3 Vs Pixel 3 XL: What's The Difference?". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-11-18.
- "CES 2018 ASUS Unveils ProArt PQ22UC OLED Monitor: 4K, 99% DCI-P3, 0.1 ms Response Time". ANDANTECH. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- Kid Jansen. "The Pointer's Gamut". TFT Central. Archived from the original on 2015-11-29. Retrieved 2016-01-30.
- Rajan Joshi; Shan Liu; Gary Sullivan; Gerhard Tech; Ye-Kui Wang; Jizheng Xu; Yan Ye (2016-01-31). "HEVC Screen Content Coding Draft Text 5". JCT-VC. Retrieved 2016-01-31.
- Dean Jackson (2016-07-01). "Improving Color on the Web". WebKit. Retrieved 2016-09-19.
- "displayP3 - CGColorSpace". Apple Developer Documentation. Retrieved 2017-08-18.