|Born||1948 (age 68–69)|
|Institutions||University of Cambridge|
|Alma mater||University of Amsterdam (PhD)|
|Thesis||Rotational relaxation of linear molecules in dense noble gases (1977)|
|Notable awards||ForMemRS (2006)|
Career and research
Frenkel worked as postdoctoral research fellow at UCLA (Chemistry and Biochemistry Department). Subsequently, he worked at Shell and at the University of Utrecht. Between 1987 and 2007, Frenkel carried out his research at the FOM Institute for Atomic and Molecular Physics AMOLF in Amsterdam where he has been employed since 1987. In the same period, he was appointed (part time) professor at the Universities of Utrecht and Amsterdam. Since 2007 he is 1968 Professor of Chemistry at the University of Cambridge. He was Head of the Department of Chemistry at the University of Cambridge from 2011 to 2015.
Frenkel has co-authored ´Understanding Molecular Simulation´ (together with Berend Smit), which has grown into a handbook used worldwide by aspiring computational physicists.
Awards and honours
In 2008 he was made a Fellow of Trinity College Cambridge. He is a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (1998), the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (2008), and TWAS (2012). He was elected a Foreign Member of the Royal Society (ForMemRS) in 2006. In 2016 he was elected as a foreign associate of the National Academy of Sciences. He is a recipient of the Aneesur Rahman Prize from the American Physical Society and the Berni J Alder CECAM prize.
- "Professor Daan Frenkel ForMemRS". London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 2015-11-17. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
“All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.” --Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies at the Wayback Machine (archived September 25, 2015)
- http://www-frenkel.ch.cam.ac.uk Daan Frenkel's research group's homepage
- Martiniani, Stefano; Schrenk, K. Julian; Stevenson, Jacob D.; Wales, David J.; Frenkel, Daan (2016). "Turning intractable counting into sampling: Computing the configurational entropy of three-dimensional jammed packings". Physical Review E. 93 (1). doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.93.012906.
- "Daniel Frenkel - Biography". Archived from the original on 30 January 2017. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "Professor Daan Frenkel ForMemRS". Archived from the original on 20 November 2016. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "Daan Frenkel" (in Dutch). Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- National Academy of Sciences Members and Foreign Associates Elected, News from the National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Sciences, May 3, 2016, retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "NWO Spinoza Prize 2000". Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research. 11 September 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2016.