|Born||1948 (age 69–70)|
|Alma mater||University of Amsterdam (PhD)|
|Institutions||University of Cambridge, Shell and at the University of Utrecht|
|Thesis||Rotational relaxation of linear molecules in dense noble gases (1977)|
Career and research
Between 1987 and 2007, Frenkel carried out his research at the FOM Institute for Atomic and Molecular Physics AMOLF in Amsterdam where he has been employed since 1987. In the same period, he was appointed (part-time) professor at the Universities of Utrecht and Amsterdam. From 2011 to 2015 he was Head of the Department of Chemistry at the University of Cambridge. Since 2007 he is 1968 Professor of Chemistry at the University of Cambridge.
Frenkel has co-authored together with Berend Smit ´Understanding Molecular Simulation´, which has grown into a handbook used worldwide by aspiring computational physicists.
Awards and honours
In 2008 he was made a Fellow of Trinity College Cambridge. He is a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (1998), the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (2008), and TWAS (2012). He was elected a Foreign Member of the Royal Society (ForMemRS) in 2006. In 2016 he was elected as a foreign associate of the National Academy of Sciences. In 2007 he received the Aneesur Rahman Prize from the American Physical Society and the Berni J Alder CECAM prize. In 2010 he received the Soft Matter and Biophysical Chemistry Award from the Royal Society of Chemistry, UK.
- Evans, Robert; Galindo, Amparo; Jackson, George; Lynden-Bell, Ruth; Rotenberg, Benjamin (2018-09-14). "Daan Frenkel — An entropic career". Molecular Physics. 116 (21–22): 2737–2741. doi:10.1080/00268976.2018.1514685. ISSN 0026-8976.
- "Professor Daan Frenkel ForMemRS". London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 2015-11-17. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
“All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.” --"Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies". Archived from the original on September 25, 2015. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- http://www-frenkel.ch.cam.ac.uk Daan Frenkel's research group's homepage
- Martiniani, Stefano; Schrenk, K. Julian; Stevenson, Jacob D.; Wales, David J.; Frenkel, Daan (2016). "Turning intractable counting into sampling: Computing the configurational entropy of three-dimensional jammed packings". Physical Review E. 93 (1). arXiv:1509.03964. Bibcode:2016PhRvE..93a2906M. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.93.012906.
- Kaiser Dana (19 October 2013). "Daniel Frenkel - Biography". Archived from the original on 30 January 2017. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "Professor Daan Frenkel ForMemRS". Archived from the original on 20 November 2016. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- Elsevier. "Understanding Molecular Simulation - 2nd Edition". www.elsevier.com. Retrieved 2018-10-31.
- "NWO Spinoza Prize 2000". Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research. 11 September 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "Daan Frenkel" (in Dutch). Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- National Academy of Sciences Members and Foreign Associates Elected, News from the National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Sciences, May 3, 2016, retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "2007 Aneesur Rahman Prize for Computational Physics". Retrieved 2018-10-31.
- "Berni J. Alder CECAM Prize". Retrieved 2018-10-31.
- "2010 Winner Soft Matter and Biophysical Chemistry Award- Daan Frenkel". www.rsc.org. Retrieved 2018-10-31.
- "The Boltzmann Medal for 2016 has been awarded during the Boltzmann Ceremony to Daan Frenkel and Yves Pomeau". Statphys26. Retrieved 2018-10-31.