Photo of Dan Liu 2013
|Residence||New York City, New York|
|Education||Aoyama Fashion College|
|TATSUAKI, AKI, DAN LIU|
Dan Liu (Dan Liu Tatsuaki; Chinese: 廖建明; Cantonese Pinyin: Liu Kin Ming; Japanese: たつあき, Liu Tatsuaki) is a Hong Kong Japanese Canadian fashion designer and producing apparel, accessories and fashions for men and women. He is also the founder and the creative director of TATSUAKI fashion label. He was born in Hong Kong and is currently based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and Tokyo, Japan.
Dan Liu was born in Hong Kong and because of his complex family background, he moved to Canada by himself when he was 16. Liu attended high school at Resurrection Catholic Secondary School in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada and studied at the University of Waterloo for Psychology and Computer Science. At his early age, Liu worked as a janitor, as a delivery guy, as a tutor and as a choreographer/dancer until producing various fashion shows for a major fashion group in Canada in 1995; this triggered his passion in fashion. In 1997, he decided to discontinue everything and went back to Tokyo, Japan to study fashion design and marketing at Aoyama Fashion College.
Liu worked for a fashion house TSUKI Fashion as a designer in the beginning. In 2002, he began working with Holt Renfrew Canada  to promote his own label TATSUAKI by starting in 4 major Canadian cities; Montreal, Quebec; Toronto, Ontario; Calgary, Alberta and Vancouver, British Columbia until 2005 it was available across Canada. Liu went back to Tokyo, Japan in 2004 to launch his ready-to-wear collection and in 2006, he expanded his line with a lower price range label, AKI in Japan. In 2012, he started contracting with Hudson's Bay and became the first Asian Canadian fashion designer to launch his own label at the Bay in the 21st century. In November 2010, Liu was fashion design/consulting to clients as a stylist/designer at Hugo Boss Canada and he collaborated with Haight & Ashbury in Toronto, Ontario, Canada for men's clothing in March 2013.
In February 2016, Liu was first accepted by WME/IMG (IMG's Official NYFW: The Shows) to showcase his DAN LIU line at New York Fashion Week in New York City, United States. He was accepted again to showcase his 2017 Spring collection on September 2016 and since then, he is with IMG New York showcasing his collection at NYFW twice a year.
Liu has been named as 'King of Cocktail Dresses" and "Cocktail Dress Connoisseur" from the fashion industry since 2017. VRAI Magazine in the United States also called Liu as "Showman of New York Fashion Week" after he showcased his Spring/Summer 2019 Collection at New York Fashion Week at the Gallery 1 of Spring Studios on September 11, 2018 in New York City, New York.
TATSUAKI label and DAN LIU label
TATSUAKI fashion was founded by Liu in 2002 and it's named after his Japanese name. The label emphasis on beauty and practicality and caters for women as ‟Funky Couture". The DAN LIU label was first noticed in February 2016 at New York Fashion Week by Liu as his high-end line and the collection appears to be more mature. Both collections often appears with knit, crochet, lace and embroidery details.
TATSUAKI garments have graced the racks at Holt Renfrew Canada and other notable boutiques in both Tokyo, Japan and Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Dan Liu opened the flagship store of TATSUAKI in the heart of the Yorkville district of Toronto in 2002 and was frequented by stars such as Jennifer Love Hewitt, Renee Zellweger and Robin Williams.
Fashion Girls by Dan - Fashion Makeover Reality Television Show
Fashion Girls by Dan is a spin-off of TLC’s What Not To Wear and Look-A-Like reality TV show with an Asian inspiration from Fashion TV's Tokyo Girls in Japan. The reality show premise is the walk through transformation of an ordinary person and the discussion of real life issues. Dan will give the participants a head to toe transformation to help them look and feel better about themselves and to gain the confidence that they need to achieve their goal. The reality show began in the Fall of 2014, contracted for 2 series by OMNI TV from Rogers Media Group, with 13 episodes for each series. It was aired on OMNI TV channel 2 nationwide in Canada. The show was also be on aired in China starting 2016.
Liu has extensive training in martial arts. He started training in Muay Thai since he was 15. Starting 1997, he learned and studied iaido and bushido (The way of Samurai). According to him, practicing martial arts is not just a physical exercise, it's also mental. It is a life philosophy.
- "Another level for Dan Liu". TodayCommercialNews.com, Commercial Newspaper, Sunday, February 6, 2011 , P.32,33.
- "First HongKongnese goes to NYFW". eweekly.hk, E Weekly Magazine, E Media+, Thursday, June 9, 2016, Issue 032, P.54-56.
- "fashionWATCH - Dan Liu (TSUKI)". Archived from the original on 2003-02-21. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
- "Home Page". ccue.com. Retrieved 4 April 2018.
- "Tatsuaki Spring 2012 at The Bay Fashion. Beauty. Trends. | Frontrowmag.com". frontrowmag.com. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
- "TATSUAKI by Dan Liu 2012 S/S Collection for The Bay; omnitv.ca". omnitv.ca. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "DAN LIU FW16; nyfw.com". nyfw.com. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- "NYFW: 2016's latest trends". usatoday.com, Friday, February 19, 2016 LIFE.
- "NYFW: 20 looks we'd rock this fall". torontosun.com, Toronto Sun Newspaper, Thursday, February 18, 2016 Life Fashion.
- "Washington Square News: Dan Liu S/S 2017". nyunews.com, Saturday, September 10, 2016.
- "Global Business News: Dan Liu talks about New York Fashion Week". cctv-america.com. Retrieved 2016-09-13.
- "Dan Liu interview at IMG New York Fashion Week by Eila Mell; fashionweekonline.com". fashionweekonline.com. Retrieved 2016-09-12.
- "Dan Liu autumn/winter 2017 collection catwalk show for NYFW". theupcoming.co.uk, Friday, February 10, 2017.
- "DAN LIU'S FALL FAIRY TALE COLLECTION". resident.com, Friday, February 1, 2017.
- "King of the Cocktail Dress. | kontrolmag.com". kontrolmag.com. Retrieved 2017-02-10.
- "DAN LIU Expresses Femininity for the Real Woman on the NYFW Runway". fashionmaniac.com, September 11, 2017.
- "NYFW: Dan Liu Spring/Summer 2019. | vraimagazine.com". vraimagazine.com. Retrieved 2018-09-11.
- "#NYFW Dan Liu Spring Summer 2019: Cocktail Dress Connoisseur". mefeater.com, Tuesday, September 11, 2018.
- "DAN LIU SS17; fisiquemagazine.com". fisiquemagazine.com. Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- "Smile Power: Dan Liu carves a "New Path" at NYFW; fashionweekonline.com". fashionweekonline.com. Retrieved 2016-09-12.
- "TATSUAKI 2012 launch party; bestoftoronto.net". bestoftoronto.net. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "ACCE 2012 Most Innovative Award: TATSUAKI INC.; acce.ca". acce.ca. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- "Fashion Girls by Dan - Shows - OMNI Ontario Cantonese". OMNI Ontario Cantonese. Retrieved 4 April 2018.
- "OMNI TV - OMNI 2 - Cantonese News Segment". omnitv.ca. Retrieved 2014-09-01.[permanent dead link]
- "Fashion Girls by Dan - fashion makeover reality TV show by Dan Liu". Today Commercial News.com, 701 magazine, Saturday, September 27, 2014 p. 39.
- "Dan Liu Tatsuaki - Iaido examination: 9th move SOETE TSUKI 九本目 添え手突き - YouTube". youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-08-24.