Danya Ruttenberg (born February 6, 1975) is an American rabbi, editor, and author. She was named one of The Jewish Week's "36 Under 36" in 2010 (36 most influential leaders under age 36), and the same year was named one of the top 50 most influential women rabbis by The Jewish Daily Forward. When she was in college her mother died of breast cancer, and Ruttenberg practiced Jewish mourning rituals, which she said allowed her to "make friends with Judaism, to be open to it"; in 2008 she published a memoir of her spiritual awakening titled "Surprised by God: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love Religion" (Beacon Press). This memoir was a finalist for the Sami Rohr Prize for Jewish Literature. She was ordained in 2008 by the Ziegler School of Rabbinic Studies in Los Angeles.
In 2016, she published Nurture the Wow: Finding Spirituality in the Frustration, Boredom, Tears, Poop, Desperation, Wonder, and Radical Amazement of Parenting with Flatiron Books, which was named a National Jewish Book Award finalist and a PJ Library Parents' Choice selection.
Ruttenberg is the editor of the 2001 anthology "Yentl's Revenge: The Next Wave of Jewish Feminism," and the 2009 anthology "The Passionate Torah: Sex and Judaism."  She is also a contributing editor to Lilith and Women in Judaism.  She and Rabbi Elliot Dorff are co-editors of three books for the Jewish Publication Society’s Jewish Choices/Jewish Voices series: "Sex and Intimacy", "War and National Security", and "Social Justice". She served as the Senior Jewish Educator at Tufts University Hillel, and subsequently Campus Rabbi at Northwestern Hillel and Director of Education for the campus dialogue program Ask Big Questions. She served as Rabbi in Residence for Avodah.
- "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MEEEEEEEE". danyaruttenberg.net. 6 February 2006. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- Eric Herschthal (2010-06-15). "Rabbi Danya Ruttenberg, 35". The Jewish Week. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "About". Danya Ruttenberg. Archived from the original on 2007-07-11. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "Rabbi's book explores her Jewish revival in the city by the Bay | j. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California". Jweekly.com. 2008-10-16. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- Jewish Choices, Jewish Voices ... - Danya Ruttenberg - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "2010 Sami Rohr Prize Finalists". Jewish Book Council. 2009-11-23. Archived from the original on 2009-12-28. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "Introducing Some of the Jewish World's Newest Rabbis –". Forward.com. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "When clothes don't make the man - or the woman | j. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California". Jweekly.com. 2003-01-31. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- Ruttenberg, Danya. "Yentl's Revenge: The Next Wave of Jewish Feminism (9781580050579): Danya Ruttenberg, Susannah Heschel: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- Ruttenberg, Danya. "The Passionate Torah: Sex and Judaism (9780814776056): Danya Ruttenberg: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "Hillel Names Six New Senior Jewish Educators". Hillel.org. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- The passionate Torah: sex and Judaism - Danya Ruttenberg - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "Nurture the Wow: Q&A with Rabbi Danya Ruttenberg". Hillel.org. Retrieved 2018-01-03.