Safary at Mumbai Juniorthon, 2015
9 March 1997|
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Darsheel Safary (born 9 March 1997) is an Indian actor. He played the lead role in Taare Zameen Par.
In 2007, Safary made his acting debut in Taare Zameen Par, playing the film's protagonist Ishaan Nandkishore Awasthi. Safary was discovered by script writer and creative director, Amol Gupte in late 2006 when he was looking for a male lead for Taare Zameen Par. After going through hundreds of auditions, Gupte found Safary at Shiamak Davar's dancing school, "Summer Funk". In choosing Safary, Gupte had a number of boys audition for a scene in which they would informally describe how they would "bunk" school after being given a few scenarios. He recalls, "It was a tough call. But Darsheel has the mischief in his eyes to be Ishaan. Everyone just naturally gravitated towards him."
Safary's performance as a struggling dyslexic child was praised by film critics. He won several awards for his performance. Taran Adarsh from indiaFM wrote, "Taare Zameen Par belongs to Master Darsheel Safary. A performance that makes the best of performances pale in comparison. A performance that deserves brownie points. A performance that'll always come first on your mind the moment someone mentions Taare Zameen Par. A performance that's impeccable, flawless and astounding. A performance that moves you and makes you reflect on your growing years. A performance that merits a special award!" Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN wrote, "Darsheel Safary steals your heart as Ishaan Awasthi. Darsheel is a revelation as an actor, he's spontaneous and lovable and carries this film completely on his shoulders". Other reviewers called Safary the "real star of the film" and his performance as "brilliant".
In a 2007 interview, Safary stated that his career plans may include singing, dancing, becoming a businessman or jewellery designer.
|2007||Taare Zameen Par||Ishaan Nandkishore Awasthi||Aamir Khan||Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor|
Nominated-Filmfare Award for Best Actor
Star Screen Award for Best Child Artist
Star Screen Award Special Jury Award
|2010||Bumm Bumm Bole||Pinu (Pinakin)||Priyadarshan|
|2012||Midnight's Children||Saleem Sinai||Deepa Mehta|
|2011||Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah||Himself||Guest Appearance|
|2012||Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 5||Himself||Contestant|
|2015||Lage Raho Chachu||Himself||Guest Appearance|
|2016||Yeh Hai Aashiqui – Sun Yaar Try Maar||Abhay|
|2008||Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor||Best Actor||Taare Zameen Par||Won|||
|Filmfare Award for Best Actor||Nominated|||
|Zee Cine Award - Critics' Choice Best Actor||Won|||
|Star Screen Awards||Special Jury Award||Won|
|V.Shantaram Awards||Best Actor in a lead role||Won|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Child Artist - Most Promising Debut||Won|||
- Shivani Verma (9 March 2017). "आमिर खान ने पढ़ाया लिखाया..अब कर रहे हैं ऐसा धमाकेदार कमबैक!" (in Hindi). Filmi Beat. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Vij, Gauri (3 February 2008). "A leap of faith". The Hindu. Retrieved 2008-04-11.
- Shahryar, Faridoon (27 December 2007). "Darsheel deserves National Award for Best Actor". IndiaFM. Archived from the original on 6 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-17.
- Kelkar, Reshma (12 January 2008). "Darsheel Safary is best newcomer of the year!". The Times of India. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- Adarsh Taran (21 December 2007). "Taare Zameen Par review". IndiaFM. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- Masand, Rajeev (2007-12-21). "Taare Zameen Par may change your life". IBN-CNN. Archived from the original on 12 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-10.
- Pandohar, Jaspreet (2007-12-18). "Taare Zameen Par (2007)". BBC. Archived from the original on 13 January 2015. Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- Bhaskaran, Gautaman (2008-01-31). "Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 15 January 2009. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- Rao, Girish (26 December 2007). "I want to be an actor, singer and dancer". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- Bollywood Hungama News Network (23 February 2008). "Winners of 53rd Fair One Filmfare Awards". IndiaFM. Archived from the original on 25 February 2008. Retrieved 23 February 2008.
- Bollywood Hungama News Network (6 February 2008). "Nominees – 53rd Annual Filmfare Awards". IndiaFM. Archived from the original on 15 February 2008. Retrieved 6 February 2008.
- Bollywood Hungama News Network (27 April 2008). "Winners of the Zee Cine Awards 2008". IndiaFM. Archived from the original on 30 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Darsheel Safary.|